Author Topic: If Lemmings 3 were not done purely to end the Psygnosis exposure  (Read 509 times)

Offline Herby

• View Profile
I think this game is like a spin-off, or even a new franchise. But this is definitely not triquel. And let's imagine if DMA made an excellent conclusion to the classic trilogy and continued the concept ideas.

Let's assume what would have been there in this case!

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: If Lemmings 3 were not done purely to end the Psygnosis exposure
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 05:49:00 PM »
It's an interesting question, and one that many Forum members have endeavoured to answer over the years with their own custom level packs.

I'd suggest, it depends largely on how you define "sequel".

For example, Oh No! More Lemmings can either be thought of as an expansion pack or a sequel, depending on perspective. It was released as an expansion pack originally, so that's technically the correct way to think about it, but since it did include brand new tilesets and a significantly more difficult level design style, perhaps this qualifies it as a "sequel".

From that point of view, then, "Lemmings 3" (or maybe "Yippee! Even More Lemmings") could be a pack of 100 - 150 levels featuring only the classic 8 skills and around 4-5 new tilesets.

Or maybe Lemmings 2: The Tribes was more of a true sequel, in the sense that it took more significant strides away from the first game and introduced new features, new skills and new tilesets, yet kept some important features from the first game exactly the same - we'd need to examine the common factors that make it similar, so that a third instalment could also keep these and be a true sequel, in this particular sense of the word.

L2 keeps the same sprite animations and 8 skills from the original, the same concept of "guide lems to an exit", and continues to use a panel for control, but almost everything else is different.

So, from that point of view, Lemmings 3: New Frontiers (for example!) could feature the same sprites again and the same gameplay concept, but streamline the skillset (or maybe even add more!) and improve further on the panel design. Everything else is up for grabs - we'd definitely want new tilesets, and maybe the "tribes" concept from L2 could be further expanded upon, maybe by having lems exploring other planets.

I also imagine that L3 would have a more comprehensive multiplayer setup, bringing it into the new gaming era.

The possibilities are many, but this is my take on it anyway :lemcat:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 11:21:57 AM by WillLem »

Offline Herby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 02:24:06 AM »
So, form that point of view, Lemmings 3: New Frontiers (for example!) could feature the same sprites again and the same gameplay concept, but streamline the skillset (or maybe even add more!) and improve further on the panel design. Everything else is up for grabs - we'd definitely want new tilesets, and maybe the "tribes" concept from L2 could be further expanded upon, maybe by having lems exploring other planets.

I also imagine that L3 would have a more comprehensive multiplayer setup, bringing it into the new gaming era.

It is from this point of view!
I think we should start with the plot.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 07:18:15 AM »
The worms games are even more confusing as there are sequels and games that are technically sequels to other worms games.   

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 09:25:12 AM »
The worms games are even more confusing as there are sequels and games that are technically sequels to other worms games.

They never quite made one better than 2 imho. Armageddon is pretty good, I suppose.

Is there an online Worms multiplayer anywhere? I’ve always thought it’d make an excellent online game, just realised I’ve never actually looked into whether one exists!

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 02:37:59 PM »
Is there an online Worms multiplayer anywhere? I’ve always thought it’d make an excellent online game, just realised I’ve never actually looked into whether one exists!

Worms Armageddon is your best bet for that one. The steam version is fully multiplayer capable, with a reasonably active community.

Worms World Party works similarly, but it's much clunkier than Armageddon and much quieter too.

Offline Ste Woz Ere

• Lemmings 2 fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 10:51:46 AM »

Worms Armageddon is your best bet for that one. The steam version is fully multiplayer capable, with a reasonably active community.

It also has the patch that enables 48 worms on a single map...cue the carnage. (think 13 kills is the best I've managed with one turn)
Tribes of Steel - a whole new Lemmings 2 game! (120-level pack)
Currently a WIP - all tribes are complete, testing and feedback is welcome!