Author Topic: Solved: Hardware fullsreen not working  (Read 871 times)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Solved: Hardware fullsreen not working
« on: January 27, 2024, 07:25:48 PM »
Hardware fullscreen doesn't work :lix-sad:

Edit Simon: Solution was to enter exactly the native resolution of the monitor.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 07:05:13 PM by Simon »

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Re: [BUG] Hardware fullscreen not working
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 07:28:58 PM »
If I dont change the value beforehand it works but has a poor resolution. If I do make it my monitor size it just makes lix windowed and smaller.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 09:17:34 PM »
In your attempt, where you changed the value, did you make sure, that the hardware fullscreen had the dot for being selected? I could reproduce with resolution 1920x1000 (Lix v. 0.10.10). A higher resolution that worked with hardware fullscreen for me was 1600x900.
Only changing the resolution doesn't automatically move the dot to select hardware fullscreen, which I find confusing.

Can you tell the version of Lix and the resolutions you tried and the resolution of your monitor?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 09:24:10 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 10:48:30 AM »
If I dont change the value beforehand

What was the value beforehand? 640x480?

make it my monitor size it just makes lix windowed and smaller.

What is your monitor's size (native resolution) that you entered for hardware fullscreen?

version of Lix

Right, thanks for asking, best to have Silken state it explicitly.

From observing: Silken joined the multiplayer session with Lix 0.10.18, which is the most recent stable release. I assume he's either on Windows 10 or 11. I assume he uses the Allegro DLLs that I ship with Windows Lix 64-bit; those DLLs are from 2021.

We can try with more recent Allegro DLLs. Since 2021, Allegro 5 fixed at least one bug in moderately related code (software fullscreen on Linux detects monitor resolution correctly). It's worth trying. Silken, I'll let you know when I have this ready for you to test.

Why do you want hardware fullscreen? Does software fullscreen work for you? I recommend software fullscreen in general and offer hardware fullscreen only as a fallback.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 10:57:11 AM by Simon »

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Hardware fullscreen not working
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 07:01:51 PM »
I wasn't able to reproduce at resolution 1920x1080, which matches my monitor.

I've been compiling Lix from source as it makes updates very easy (git pull then dub build -b=release), so I went ahead and checked what version of the DLLs I have on my system, which appear to be version 5.2.6. I don't remember exactly where I got them. Lix version is 0.10.18.

Lix doesn't appear to show the currently installed version of Allegro. It might be useful to insert that somewhere, maybe under where the Lix version is currently shown? https://liballeg.org/a5docs/trunk/system.html#al_get_allegro_version
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:12:23 PM by Dullstar »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 08:51:40 PM »
Lix doesn't appear to show the currently installed version of Allegro. It might be useful to insert that somewhere, maybe under where the Lix version is currently shown? https://liballeg.org/a5docs/trunk/system.html#al_get_allegro_version

With lix --allegro-version you can get the version of Allegro currently used. On Win you have to pipe it, e.g. lix --allegro-version >a.txt, to get the result since stdout is closed for Lix.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 03:19:19 PM »
How do I get that different music for Lix?

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 05:20:55 PM »
How do I get that different music for Lix?

You can add custom music: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3481.msg67515#msg67515
There should be in the meantime mp3 format support in Win as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 06:11:55 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 09:46:29 PM »
We can try with more recent Allegro DLLs. [...] Silken, I'll let you know when I have this ready for you to test.

I've released Lix 0.10.19 and put the up-to-date Allegro 5.2.9 DLLs into the 64-bit release of Windows Lix.

Silken, please try the 64-bit Windows version of Lix 0.10.19. Does the bug still hit you? I anticipate that you still see the bug.

Please come back to my earlier post, too, and answer my questions from it: What value worked beforehand but had a poor resolution? What is your native monitor resolution? Why do you need hardware fullscreen at all? Did software fullscreen fail for you?

Lix doesn't appear to show the currently installed version of Allegro.

You're right, I should print it somewhere Lix's graphical runmode. Filed as github #481. I already print the enet DLL version when you connect to a networking server.

In the meantime, yes, as Forestidia explains, you can query Allegro DLL versions with:
lix.exe --allegro-version > a.txt

This prints x.y.z.r, where r is 0 for unstable and ≥ 1 for stable, as your linked documentation explains. Allegro 5.2.9.0 DLLs will thus print 5.2.9.1.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 10:18:56 PM by Simon »

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 10:24:31 PM »
I've released Lix 0.10.19 and put the up-to-date Allegro 5.2.9 DLLs into the 64-bit release of Windows Lix.

Silken, please try the 64-bit Windows version of Lix 0.10.19. Does the bug still hit you? I anticipate that you still see the bug.

Please come back to my earlier post, too, and answer my questions from it: What value worked beforehand but had a poor resolution? What is your native monitor resolution? Why do you need hardware fullscreen at all? Did software fullscreen fail for you?
I did respond by saying I've used Windows 10 but I don't know my monitor resolution.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 12:21:23 AM »
You can find out your resolution by right click on desktop - choose Display Settings - Display Resolution should be written there.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 07:03:10 PM »
Hardware fullscreen works for Silken now.

The solution was to enter the correct native resolution for hardware fullscreen. He used the 0.10.19 for netplay today, but I'd bet even the older 0.10s would have worked for the correct native resolution.

Software fullscreen works for Silken, too, but he explicitly prefers hardware fullscreen. That's fine! Pick what you like. I merely feared whether there were bugs in software fullscreen that prevented him from picking it; I'm happy that there weren't.

-- Simon