Author Topic: New Tribes and their Theme Music  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
New Tribes and their Theme Music
« on: July 26, 2023, 07:25:00 PM »
A few years ago, somebody here on the forums suggested that other packs could be made in a similar vein as Lemmings 2: The Tribes, with some of the most popular custom graphic sets serving as new tribes — rather than always sticking to the existing Lemmings 2 tilesets. While I am currently not planning to do such a thing, it’s certainly a fun idea in general. Perhaps someone else might pick up on it, perhaps I’ll attempt this myself in the far future. Currently, as some of you might know, I still have two other works in progress, one of which actually is a Lemmings 2: The Tribes-inspired pack (Lemmings: Hall of Fame), which will restrict itself to the original Lemmings 2 tilesets.

In Lemmings 2, in contrast to original Lemmings or ONML, the music is tied to the graphic sets.
In Lemmings 3D, meanwhile, there are two different tracks per graphic set / theme. (If I recall correctly, though, tileset mixing is possible in L3DEdit? Or there aren’t even different tilesets to begin with, and the theme is only decided by the pre-level screen?)

So theoretically, if we wanted to create new tribes for our custom tilesets, they could have up to two tracks to go along with them.
If a pack always uses the same track for a given tileset, it would be a Tribes pack; if it alternates between two tracks per tileset, it would be a Lemmings 3D-inspired pack.

Of course, Lemmings could only use compositions that are in the public domain — and we on the forums are advised to do the same, if only in case somebody let’s plays our pack, so that the videos don’t get blocked by a content ID match. Therefore, most typical Lemmings music, apart from the custom-written tracks, would consist of classical music and/or traditionals.

With that in mind, here are some of my suggestions. This is not a definitive list — just some suggestions to get the idea started. :D

namida Lab: Symphony No. 5 (Ludwig van Beethoven)
namida Purple: Minuet in G major (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)
namida Space: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (Traditional)
namida Mineshaft: Hall of the Mountain King (Edvard Grieg)
namida Honeycomb: Flight of the Bumblebee (Nikolai Rimski-Korsakov)
namida / GigaLem Sky: Ride of the Valkyries (Richard Wagner)
namida / GigaLem Tree: The Four Seasons (Antonio Vivaldi)

Sonic Angelisland / Chaosangel (formerly “Ancient”) by Gronkling: O Fortuna (Carl Orff)

Arty Underwater: What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor? (Traditional)

Raymanni Snow: Amazing Grace (Traditional)
Raymanni Toys: Ode to Joy (Ludwig van Beethoven)

For added Lemming-likeness, we’d have to look for 8-bit or MIDI versions of these tracks. Depending on whether we’d be trying to emulate playing on DOS vs. playing on Amiga / Mac. :D
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: New Tribes and their Theme Music
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 08:04:24 PM »
namida Lab: Symphony No. 5 (Ludwig van Beethoven)

I assume you mean just the exposition of the first movement, and not the entire symphony (which is at least half an hour long!)

Similarly, you probably intend just one movement of The Four Seasons.

Incidentally, for GemLems I am doing precisely this -- each graphics set is associated with one or two music tracks. However, I'm sticking to tracks from L1 and ONML for L1/ONML graphics sets. Some of namida's packs also do this.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: New Tribes and their Theme Music
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 08:32:11 PM »
I agree that each of the orig and ONML tilesets have certain tracks that I associate with them more than others. But that’s really just based on the subjective experience of a correlation between these tilesets and the tracks in question (say, Marble and Rondo Alla Turca).

Also, that connection will differ quite a lot between those who first played Lemmings on Amiga / Mac vs. those who played it on DOS. On Atari, all the tracks were shifted by 1 position, compared to the Mac / Amiga rotation. Meaning, “Just dig” started with “She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain”.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels