Author Topic: [SUG] New object - Trampolene  (Read 925 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG] New object - Trampolene
« on: July 10, 2023, 10:34:22 AM »
From this topic:

Quote from: Strato Incendus
PS: L2: The Tribes also has trampolines. With the reintroduction of Radiation and Slowfreeze being discussed (=objects that assign Bombers and Freezers), I could see a trapoline acting as an object that turns a lemming into a Jumper, but only if he falls onto it from above. It would also prevent splatting, like an anti-splat pad or updraft. To simplify things, the Jumper width could be independent of fall height (in contrast to Lemmings 3D / L2: The Tribes).

Then again, if the Runner is considered, that would already be a skill that alters the Jumper’s range. So perhaps, these two questions should be discussed in context.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SUG] New object - Trampolene
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 10:37:34 AM »
Quote from: Strato Incendus
I could see a trapoline acting as an object that turns a lemming into a Jumper, but only if he falls onto it from above. It would also prevent splatting, like an anti-splat pad or updraft.

Why wouldn't a lem that jumped onto a trampolene respond by jumping again? I imagine a trampolene would always have the lem jump, and if jump distance also depended on fall height*, so much the better. Agreed re: preventing splatting, though.

*We already have checks for Splat falls. If we apply the same checks to a Trampolene, we get at least 2 potential from-trampolene jump types. Non-splat height can be a regular jump, splat-height can be a Super-Jump (lem balls up like Sonic and bounces much further/higher), which could also be used when assigning a Jumper to a Runner.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 06:30:05 PM »
I like the idea of two different jumping actions (one for splat height or above, another for below splat height)! :thumbsup:
This adds some variability to the object (and thereby increases its potential range of application), without resulting in too much complexity (both from a coding and a player standpoint).

If I remember correctly, both in L2: The Tribes and in Lemmings 3D, the trampoline’s range gradually increases with fall height. Lemmings 3D showcases this immediately on the very first level, “Take a Dive”. That would probably be a step too far, since it would also be difficult to predict the jumping range without object skill shadows for Fallers — and as far as I’ve understood you, you deliberately don’t want to include skill shadows for projections of regular movements, such as walking / falling (as they would also be relevant for, among others, Radiation and Slowfreeze)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 10:42:23 PM »
as far as I’ve understood you, you deliberately don’t want to include skill shadows for projections of regular movements, such as walking / falling (as they would also be relevant for, among others, Radiation and Slowfreeze)

Yes, correct. Immediate-action shadows are OK, but I'd rather the player discover a lem's range of action by playing the game. If SuperLemmix has a "philosophy", that's basically it!

With that said, some skill shadows actually do rely on projection (Glider is one, Jumper another), so these would likely include Trampolene interaction anyway.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 04:52:14 PM by WillLem »

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 01:16:59 AM »
Here's my trampoline video...
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 09:04:48 PM »
This one probably won't happen after all.

It's a fun idea, but after some exploration I found it to be not much more than a very problematic Jumper assigner. It's a recipe for bugs and doesn't seem to be worth the effort that it would take to implement and maintain, so I'm crossing this one off the list in order to concentrate on other features.