Author Topic: Level Design Contest #28 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 13994 times)

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
All zips only need to be unzipped inside the main folder of your NeoLemmix or Lix Player!

Lix Level Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/l2y767quzplrj9fvy1r7s/Contest_28_Lix.zip?rlkey=7nngiyl7qwt7850ds91vhusne&dl=1

The Lix levels will then be in the single/Contests/Contest_28 folder!

NeoLemmix Level Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ati9whxrgwnwindv8ziam/Contest_28_NL.zip?rlkey=ig41vg4818zndhd8i6os1aih4&dl=1

Music (NeoLemmix): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/znm464d9nyj10avhlm8sv/Contest_28_Music.zip?rlkey=7ly82f964wu0c0y3x3svnp6im&dl=1

Rule 1 Levels

geoo's "Fast Food Forest" (V1)
Simon's "ξ" (V1)
Armani's "Das Elfenlied" (V1)
IchoTolot's "The God Of Fear & Hunger" (V2)
kaywhyn's "Sports-tacular No Athlete Rescue Mission" (V4)
Kingshadow3's "Lost Temple from the 4th Dimension" (V2)
NieSch's "The L-Team (Part II)" (V10)

Rule 2 Levels

geoo's "Frog Clog" (V2)
Apjjm's "In Circles" (V1)
Armani's "The Weasel Island" (V1)
IchoTolot's "I Am The Night!" (V1)
kaywhyn's "Chalkboard Math with Mr. Starfish" (V4)
Kingshadow3's "Mobius Dickins" (V7)
NieSch's "Snakes & Lemmings" (V1)

Rule 3 Levels

geoo's "Underground Club" (V1)
Simon's "Gentle Slope" (V1)
Armani's "P!=NP" (V1)
IchoTolot's "Wishful Work Within Woodwork World" (V1)
kaywhyn's "Quick Emergency Patch Work" (V5)
Kingshadow3's "More builders, Less level!" (V1)
NieSch's "Feeding Time" (V1)

You can check the rules details again here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6104.0

Playing Phase will be closed on 31th of August!
Updates will close on 28th of August!

Note: This topic is for posting your comments, replays, etc for the levels. If you wish to post an update to your level, or enter a late submission, please do so in the Updates Topic instead.

Link to update topic
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 03:41:03 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #28 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 11:02:00 PM »
Something that I meant to post after the previous LDC ended, but just a reminder of global rule 1c which I copy/paste here from namida's topic:

Section 1 - Rules concerning entering levels

c. A level is not eligible if it has had a prior public release, even if that was on a different engine. Small-scale private releases (such as asking one or two people to test your level) will be tolerated. It is allowed to include the level in a public release after the contest's playing phase has started.

I bring this up because of a recent case of this in the previous LDC which wasn't noticed until the voting phase. At the time, I was playing through the level pack, so I didn't realize it was a case of a level from a level pack that was already released being submitted for an LDC. I guess the biggest hint would had been in the level title in parenthesis where it says (Contest version), but other than that addition in the title and an added timer, the level is the exact same in terms of layout and skillset. This isn't allowed. However, the other way is, where after an LDC you can put the level of yours in a level pack.

There was another case several LDCs ago, from LDC #24, but that was noticed during the playing phase and was allowed to stay but wouldn't be included in the voting, though in this case the user (different one, not the same one from the previous LDC) requested the level be withdrawn.

Because of these cases, both about 1.5 years apart from each other, I don't want LDCs to get to the point where Icho has to comb through level packs and see that a level from them was submitted as an entry. I be more than happy to help him out with this, but I wouldn't want to do this either. There's just way too many level packs! Niesch's R1 is fine though, as it's a completely separate and different level from the one in his LLL pack.

I'm currently on my hiatus from the game of Lemmings, so if there are any backroutes to my levels it will likely take me a while to fix them up. As such, I don't wish to be disturbed while on my hiatus. It's fine to send replays/solutions to my levels, just don't expect a response from me right away. I definitely need this time away, as I've been stressing out more than usual in the last few weeks, to the point that it's becoming a bit unhealthy for me. It's really time off for myself and just looking out for myself. Let me add that the break is really helping, especially as I've recently been getting back into other stuff that I haven't done or played in a really long time :)

As usual, I pre-tested all of Icho's entries, as well as Apjjm's. All pretty good ones! :thumbsup:

Anyway, some background info on my entries. Several LDCs ago, I made "Sports-tacular Athletic Rescue Mission" and it seemed quite well-liked. Now, for this LDC, for my R1, you get the non-athlete version! No constructive skills on top of that too! :laugh: Really, this level came about because while I was watching my solution to the former said level, I realized that it could almost work for R1, except here I had exits in the corners instead of entrances. So, the design came somewhat easily as a result.

For my R2, the title is a bit of a reference to the first Freddi Fish game, a game released by Humongous Entertainment from back in the 1990s. There is a character called Mr. Starfish who helps you learn math, so the starfish in the level is supposed to be him in a way, except I'm missing the monocle and teacher pointer stick :XD: Not to mention that my artistic skills are extremely limited, and this was the easiest animal for me to do :laugh: As such, the music is also from the game. I also found a backroute that is an easy fix, but well, I wonder if anyone can find it :-[

Finally, for my R3, it's only something I realized after the fact and after the playing phase started, but this one I guess you can consider a bit of a counterpart to my R1. My R1 is a no constructives skills level, but my R3 is a no destuctives skills and therefore the constructives skills level :laugh:

Thank you for your understanding and keep up the great work! I've taken a quick skim of all the entries and they look great! :thumbsup: I look forward to properly playing through them at a later time in the future, once I have had time to recollect myself and have returned from my hiatus ;)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 02:19:30 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 12:45:51 PM »
Here's my solutions to the NeoLemmix R3 mini-levels (except my own level). Some may be backroutes.

I really like these levels. They're small, but not too easy for me. Simon did a good job setting up the rules for the contest.
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 04:18:35 PM »
@NieSch Intended :thumbsup: well done!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 08:20:55 PM »
@NieSch

Intended sokution to my R3! Great job! :thumbsup:

In the terms of levels that were already released:

As kaywhyn mentioned, I can't know of every released level and even if "contest version" is in the title I expect that there were significant changes compared to the older version (like with NieSch's "L-Team").

So the plan here is to:
A) Depend on the collective mind to inform me about such instances.
B) Speak to the honor of every author to at least put some sort of effort into their entries and don't just copy/slightly change some already released stuff.
C) Investigate suspicious levels that give me some sort of Deja Vu in advance.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 09:39:02 PM »
@Niesch

That is a backroute for my R3. Luckily, it's a very easy fix, and I already have it in place for when I'm ready to upload V2 to the update topic.

The level in question from the previous LDC #27 is "Direct Drip," which is found in Lemminas 2 and had already been publicly released for about a year prior. Of course, way too late to do anything about it, but again, this was not noticed until the voting phase and because I was playing through WillLem's pack during that time and just happened to encounter the level during the R2 voteoff. Fortunately, it wouldn't had affected the voting at all, since it was eliminated in the rule voteoff for R2 and didn't get any votes. However, if it did get any, it definitely would had potentially severely affected the results.

Just to be clear, this isn't a warning at all, but instead just a reminder. I think we all want to make sure the contests go as smoothly as they can without problems. The best way to do so is to make sure all guidelines/rules regarding submission of entries are followed and that they indeed are eligible and not in violation of anything. That's why there are rules/guidelines in place!

Let me add that I think Icho has been doing a great job in the role of contest host ever since he took it up many years ago :thumbsup:  However, he is just one person and obviously cannot catch all cases on his own. I have played plenty of level packs and am therefore more likely to notice cases of levels from publicly released level packs being submitted as a contest entry, but as the previous LDC has shown, even I can miss a case there, but only because I happened to play the pack during the voting phase and didn't notice anything fishy before that. Let's just say I'm returning Icho the favor for all the help/mentoring he has provided me in playing a pivotal role of helping me improve in my designs during the time I've been here, especially as I like to contribute in whatever helpful way I can to this community :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 07:40:56 PM »
Here's my solution for Armani's R1 "Das Elfenlied", Niesch's R1 "The L-Team (Part II)" and IchoTolot's R2 "I am the Night!". :)

@Niesch I'd like to note that your solution to my R3 is intended. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 09:29:59 PM by Kingshadow3 »

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 03:35:39 AM »
@Kingshadow3 That's intended Well done! :thumbsup:

Here're my solutions to all lix entries 8-)
I smell one or two backroutes here.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 07:09:51 AM »
Here's my solution for (...) Niesch's R1 "The L-Team (Part II)" (...)

Well done! It's a backroute though. I updated the level, see the update topic.
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 08:04:57 PM »
As I already mentioned in a discord pm: KingShadow's solution is intended! :thumbsup:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 10:16:25 PM »
Armani's solutions to both of my levels (ξ and Gentle Slope) are intended. Nice!

-- Simon

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2023, 06:07:52 PM »
I solved Apjjm's R2 level. :)

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2023, 07:37:00 PM »
Here're my solutions to all Neolemmix's R1 levels 8-)

The God Of Fear & Hunger (click to show/hide)
The L-Team (Part II) (click to show/hide)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 08:05:36 PM »
Here're my solutions to all Neolemmix's R1 levels 8-)

The L-Team (Part II) (click to show/hide)

Well done!

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2023, 08:08:18 PM »
And here're my solutions to rest of the levels 8-)

In Circles (click to show/hide)
I Am The Night! (click to show/hide)
Snakes & Lemmings (click to show/hide)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2023, 08:34:51 PM »
And here're my solutions to rest of the levels 8-)
Snakes & Lemmings (click to show/hide)

:thumbsup:

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2023, 08:44:13 PM »
@Armani.

Intended solutions to my R2 and R3 levels. Good job!
:thumbsup:

I can't (without massive unnessesary brute force fixes) prevent you from using those precise and timing heavy tricks in my R1 level. I can just assure you those are not nessesary!

Tricks in question: 

With those it is possible though to save 2 skills I initially used for my solution - yes 2 if you ever so slightly change up your solution.

I removed a root in V2 to steer your way to that save 2 skills solution, but I really do not want to tear up the level's visuals to prevent your challenge solution as I would declare it.

I would still say my intended solution (that I developed with kaywhyn) still has some precise tricks, but not nearly as much as those 2 tricks you used.

Still great find here! :thumbsup:

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2023, 10:09:35 PM »
@NieSch

@Armani
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2023, 11:32:11 PM »
@Armani Thanks so much for playing my levels and the feedback to both my R1 and R2 :thumbsup:

R1: I'm happy to hear that you like this one too just like the original from LDC #25! :thumbsup: Unfortunately, that is a backroute that completely misses a trick I intended. Luckily it was an easy fix and I will upload that when I'm ready to.

R2: Those are very bad backroutes :( I have a feeling that of my levels, this will be the most problematic to fix. I have some fixes in place already, and again I will upload this along with the other updates when I'm ready.

R3: Your solution is actually much closer to intended than Niesch's :thumbsup: Sadly another backroute but again another easy fix like my R1.

Once again, I'm in the camp of thinking that my R1 and R3 couldn't be backrouted, but you and Niesch showed me apparently they can! :forehead: Looks like I still need to work on designing my levels better so they can't be broken :laugh: My hope is that I at least am getting better at it, considering this is my 7th LDC I've participated in as a designer!

I would still say my intended solution (that I developed with kaywhyn) still has some precise tricks, but not nearly as much as those 2 tricks you used.

@Icho

Aha, you see? I knew Armani would find a way to save even more skills. I just had a feeling there, considering how he was quite efficient in your "Temple of Escher," as well as my "Not The Annoying Gap in the Floor Again!" Both X-of-everythings! :laugh:

And yes, hooray for teamwork on combining our solutions/brains to improve your R1 and to get Uncharted levels solved together! :thumbsup: 

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 05:45:03 PM »
I will probably start my playthrough roughly around the weekend at the end of this months as I am quite busy before.

So there is still a bit of time to get some backroutes and fixes in before that! ;)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2023, 02:20:46 PM »
@Armani: Your solution to my R3 level is intended. Well done!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2023, 06:39:05 AM »
Thank you everyone for your patience while I've been away. Just wanted to inform you all that I have finally released updates to all 3 of my entries to fix backroutes, especially as I don't want to put this off any longer than necessary. Check the update topic ;)

I'm still on my break from the game of Lemmings, but I will probably come back and properly play through these entries in a few weeks or so. Again, thank you Niesch and Armani for your replays and feedback! :thumbsup: Hopefully at least one of my entries is stable now and backroute free, though obviously I be happy if all of them are :laugh: I have a suspicion that my R2 is still broken, but let's see how it holds up with the V2 fixes I put in place!

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2023, 08:05:33 AM »
@kaywhyn: Here's my solution to your updated R3 level.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 09:10:26 AM by NieSch »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2023, 08:45:36 AM »
@Niesch

You attached a level file instead of a replay :P Also updated V2 of my R3, as I later realized I have forgotten why I shifted the terrain in the upper area before and now I know why :laugh: I haven't seen your solution yet, but it might still be the same even with this small change, but I'll see when I get the correct replay file from you ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:56:56 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2023, 09:10:44 AM »
Oops. The correct file is attached now. See above.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »
Oops. The correct file is attached now. See above.

The replay fails for me. I made a minor update to V2, so you would need to grab the latest one from the update topic ;)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2023, 09:30:29 AM »
I see. It was a backroute then for your previous V2.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2023, 09:35:18 AM »
I see. It was a backroute then for your previous V2.

No, I never saw the solution, so I don't know if it was. In the time you attached a level file instead of a replay, I made a minor update to V2 because I remembered too late why I shifted the terrain in the upper area the way I did, which was to block Armani's solve. I blocked your previous solve by shifting the exit platform up ;)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
I understand. I played your new V2 and my solution doesn't work anymore, so I figured it wasn't the intended solution.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »
On the other hand it could had been intended, though the hint that it isn't was due to the way you wrote your post with the replay. Luckily due to autosaves, I was able to grab an early version and indeed it was a backroute. I was very confused why I shifted the terrain in the upper area from a while back, but like I said I realized too late that it was to block Armani's way of how the stacker was used. Well, that's what I get for not releasing an update ASAP, but nope, I waited weeks later before doing so :forehead: Turns out you placed it in the exact same manner as him in the previous V2, and that would be his backroute I was blocking by making the minor terrain shift.

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2023, 04:19:15 AM »
For those who want to see the intended solutions to my levels, here it is :D

https://youtu.be/KdGiqOKnjM4

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2023, 04:29:54 AM »
And replays to updated levels 8-)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2023, 07:38:08 AM »
@Armani: Nice solution to the L-team level but not what I had in mind. (I'd like a bit more teamwork between the four. ;)) I updated the level.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2023, 06:55:49 AM »
@Armani

Ah, I failed to kill any birds with stones with my V2's :(

R1 - Still not quite intended and once again avoids a trick I intended. For V3, added some steel in the upper right area of the exit platform.

R2 - Your first solution is much closer to the intended than the second one, but both are still pretty bad backroutes nevertheless. For V3, the only change is OWAs added on the exit platform. I'm not quite confident that this fix is sufficient to eliminate any remaining backroutes, particularly as I'm very certain this will be the most problematic of my entries to fix this LDC

R3 - Wow, great find here with the extremely cheesy start which I absolutely did not consider. V3's change is not really noticeable, but I just shifted the wall and its connecting floor over one pixel. Just like with R2, I honestly feel this can still be backrouted, but well, I didn't really do any thorough testing for backroutes before releasing my V3's :laugh:

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2023, 12:10:02 PM »
Here are my solutions to all levels. :)

I sense that there are still a few backroutes. :evil:

I will probably make my videos after the backroutes have been patched out.

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2023, 01:14:06 PM »
Here are my solutions to all levels. :)

I sense that there are still a few backroutes. :evil:

I will probably make my videos after the backroutes have been patched out.

The solutions to both my R1 and my R2 are backroutes. I've updated the levels in the update topic.

The solution for my R3 is intended.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2023, 01:50:22 PM »
@IchoTolot: Your solution to my R1-level is a backroute. I updated the level. Your solution to my open ended R2 is perfectly fine. Your R3 solution is intended. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 03:10:04 PM by NieSch »

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2023, 07:39:07 PM »
@Ichotolot
Everything is intended :thumbsup: 8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2023, 08:20:01 PM »
Icho's solutions to Xi and Gentle Slope are also intended. Nice!

-- Simon

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2023, 04:43:30 PM »
I resolved the updated levels from Kingshadow3 and NieSch! :)

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2023, 11:44:24 PM »
@IchoTolot

R1 is the intended solution :thumbsup: . R2 is an obvious backroute :evil:.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2023, 02:28:50 PM »
I resolved the updated levels from Kingshadow3 and NieSch! :)

Well done! It's not the intended solution but it's a very good alternative solution since you used all the skills.

Attached is my intended solution to the level.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:26:48 AM by NieSch »

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2023, 03:03:19 PM »
@Kingshadow3  Still a backroute here. :evil:

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2023, 04:51:04 PM »
I've updated my R2 to V4.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »
Finally found a peaceful evening play Contest entries.

I solved geoo's Frog Clog and Underground Club. Haven't solved his Fast Food Forest yet.

Only skimmed the NeoLemmix entries. There is some lovely imagery in the NeoLemmix levels, all of you are great artists! I'll see when I attempt to solve them seriously.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2023, 08:09:59 PM »
All solutions to Underground Club and Fast Food Forest are intended!

I kinda like Simon's solution to Frog Clog, but I decided to replace the platformer with a builder anyway, to eliminate it (see update topic). This also eliminates the other solution by Icho/Armani (which I like less).

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2023, 09:09:20 PM »
Resolves for Kingshadow3's and geoo's R2. 8-)

I think Kingshadow3's might be at least close to intended, but I have spare Lixes and skills for geoo's level. Although, I think it's closer than the first solution. :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2023, 09:26:28 PM »
@Icho

Finally got around to checking your solutions to my levels. As I feared, they're all backroutes :( I will release a fix later on. My R1 and R2 I think I have a fairly good idea on what the fixes would be, while R3 might need some more thinking on. Thanks again for showing me that the V3's of my levels can still be cheesed ;)

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2023, 04:23:28 AM »
resolved all the updated levels! 8-)

Lix
 - geoo's Frog Clog
NL
 - kaywhyn's Sports-tacular No Athlete Rescue Mission
 - NieSch's The L-Team (Part II)
 - kaywhyn's Chalkboard Math with Mr. Starfish
 - kaywhyn's Quick Emergency Patch Work

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2023, 06:29:51 AM »
NieSch's The L-Team (Part II)

Close, but not there yet. I updated the level to V6.

I also updated my intended solution replay file to the level in the attachment some posts above. The solution of IchoTolot still works with V6 too, but not his replay file of it.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2023, 08:42:33 AM »
All rightie, I've finally released a V4 for all my entries. Once again, thank you all for your patience and understanding. I'm just slowly getting back into Lemmings after my lengthy break/hiatus from the game. I was just beyond stressed the last several weeks and with personal life, but I think I'm all right again and ready to come back, so no need to worry about me. Hopefully nobody missed me too much :laugh: I'm hoping to make some time this week to go through these entries. I'm starting with the Lix entries and then after that onto the NL entries :)

Ok, now I can get into more details about Icho's and Armani's solutions to my V3's.

@Icho

Those are backroutes to all 3 of my levels as I previously mentioned.

R1: For V4, I added more steel near the bottom of the huge wall in the middle.

R2: For V4, I added another flamethrower trap and smoothed out the starting platform completely.

R3: Ugh, people have been abusing that downward slanted platform left and right to backroute the level :evil: So, away it goes for V4 and as a result changed up the starting area a bit, some more terrain shifting, and added another fire trap.

Armani

R1: Wow, I'm quite surprised, because this is 100% intended! :thumbsup: Icho still managed to backroute V3, therefore I released a V4 as mentioned above.

Again, I'm happy to hear that you liked this level as much as you did the original from a few LDC's ago :thumbsup:

R2: Both solutions are very bad backroutes. The changes I made for V4 are as I described above for Icho's solution ;)

R3: Now we got further away from the intended solution with V3 than we did with V2 :( It's that downward slanted terrain that you, Icho, and Niesch have all abused to backroute the level :devil: Again, for V4 the changes are as described above for Icho's solution.   

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2023, 09:56:18 AM »
I feel like all 3 are intended 8-)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2023, 10:21:56 AM »
@Armani

Close ;) R2 is an acceptable alternative, while R3 is exactly intended :thumbsup: In the case of R2, one of the main tricks is there near the exit area, you simply did it in a different place. Other than that and a few skill swaps, you did indeed get the intended solution, therefore no changes are needed. Nice job! :thumbsup: Phew, I knew R2 was going to be very problematic to fix, though maybe Icho will have something to say about that :laugh:

For R3, I like how the timing all works out before anyone gets into danger. A nice round number of 80 for the RR too :laugh:

I attached my solution to my R2 for you to compare :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 10:27:42 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2023, 04:32:19 PM »
I feel like all 3 are intended 8-)

L-team is intended! Well done. :thumbsup:

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2023, 06:12:24 PM »
Here are the resolves. :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2023, 07:38:45 PM »
@Icho

R1 and R2 are both 100% intended! :thumbsup:

Phew, before I watched your replay to R2 I was afraid that you backrouted it again, but nope, you got the intended solution :) I knew it was going to be a problematic level to fix, but what I was wrong about is that all of my entries needed the same number of fixes. Thus, R2 didn't need as much fixing as I thought. I guess I really thought deep about the root of the problems and succeeded this time :laugh: I think what really did it though was that once I succeeded with

R3 is a similar backroute that was possible on an earlier version of the level that has apparently been made possible again with V4 :forehead: For V5, I simply shifted the thin poles of the structure near the entrance, therefore blocking that jumper assignment you did ;) This should be it now, but let's see!

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2023, 08:04:30 PM »
I have a feeling this should be it. :)

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2023, 08:30:03 PM »
Resolves for Kingshadow3's and geoo's R2. 8-)

I think Kingshadow3's might be at least close to intended, but I have spare Lixes and skills for geoo's level. Although, I think it's closer than the first solution. :)

I'll accept this as an alternative solution. :thumbsup:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2023, 09:40:26 PM »
I have a feeling this should be it. :)

You are correct, your solution to V5 of my R3 is indeed 100% intended now! :thumbsup: Thanks again so much for the replays/solutions and for playing my levels. I hope you enjoyed them :)

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2023, 09:05:27 PM »
I uploaded my solutions to YouTube + also attached all replays here. :)

Part 1 (Lix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJi3-okBZYE
Part 2 (NL): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LHr1Bhqhrs
Part 3 (My Own Levels): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozCrjmfDLv8

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2023, 09:23:39 PM »
Icho's solutions to both of my levels (Xi and Gentle Slope) are intended. Thanks!

-- Simon

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2023, 09:58:30 PM »
And here are my replays to all the Lix entries and NL entries. I think I have backroutes for two NL levels and either 1 or 2 Lix entries, while the rest seem intended or acceptable ;) In particular, I'm not sure how Armani, Icho, and Simon all missed a very easy backroute to geoo's R3 :P Also, I completely agree with Simon that geoo's R1 is very tough! It took me a very long time before I finally got it solved! As a result, it was the very last level that I got solved ;)

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »
And here are my replays to all the Lix entries and NL entries. I think I have backroutes for two NL levels and either 1 or 2 Lix entries, while the rest seem intended or acceptable ;) In particular, I'm not sure how Armani, Icho, and Simon all missed a very easy backroute to geoo's R3 :P Also, I completely agree with Simon that geoo's R1 is very tough! It took me a very long time before I finally got it solved! As a result, it was the very last level that I got solved ;)

The solutions for my R1 and R3 are intended. :thumbsup:

I've updated my Rule 2 level.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2023, 09:14:10 AM »
And here are my replays to all the Lix entries and NL entries. I think I have backroutes for two NL levels and either 1 or 2 Lix entries, while the rest seem intended or acceptable ;)

Well done! One of the levels you backrouted is my R1 one. I updated it to V7.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2023, 07:20:25 PM »
I have resolves for both Niesch's R1 and Kingshadow's R2, though sadly the former is still a backroute and I just needed to tweak my previous solution a bit (seems the terrain overhang where the needles trap is was a mistake?), while the latter seems closer to intended due to not having as many skills left as last time but still looks to be a backroute nonetheless :(

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2023, 08:05:05 PM »
I have resolves for both Niesch's R1 and Kingshadow's R2, though sadly the former is still a backroute and I just needed to tweak my previous solution a bit (seems the terrain overhang where the needles trap is was a mistake?)

Oh, dang. I made the trap white with a piece of terrain because I thought it looked nice. But I forgot that it was terrain... :forehead:

I removed the piece in my V8.

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2023, 08:23:04 PM »
I've added more steel onto the whale. Unfortunately, this change has made it so that IchoTolot's solution is no longer possible.

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2023, 09:01:42 PM »
Here are my updated replays. :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2023, 09:03:07 PM »
More resolves for Niesch and Kingshadow. Sorry Niesch, another backroute I'm afraid, as it's once again just tweaking a previous solution of mine. For the latter, I have a few skills left, but this does at least looks very close to intended and maybe acceptable?

I've added more steel onto the whale. Unfortunately, this change has made it so that IchoTolot's solution is no longer possible.

@Icho

Sorry! :laugh:

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2023, 10:10:42 PM »
2 of the builders are now pickup skills.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2023, 11:39:26 PM »
Resolved and I think we finally got it, so I have a good feeling about this :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 11:51:26 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2023, 12:05:19 AM »
Resolved and I think we finally got it, so I have a good feeling about this :)

Intended solution. :thumbsup:

And just in time too as the final day to update levels is approaching. Anymore backroutes found won't be patched out during the contest. If I were to finish a level pack with these levels in, I will have further backroutes patched out when I release it.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2023, 05:30:45 AM »
And just in time too as the final day to update levels is approaching. Anymore backroutes found won't be patched out during the contest. If I were to finish a level pack with these levels in, I will have further backroutes patched out when I release it.

My hope was to leave ample time to play through and solve these levels earlier than I did the previous contest. Seems I've somewhat succeeded there, as I started at least 1.5 weeks before the deadline, though admittedly I still cut it pretty close to the update deadline. In contrast, I started going through the previous LDC's entries less than a week before the end of the playing phase!

Even if the deadline did pass, sometimes backroutes can still remain if the intended solution was found. Some good examples was a few levels in the Bonus rank of United. Almost all the levels in the rank are contest entries of Icho's. The ones I managed to backroute were very old contest levels of his. At the time when I backrouted them, I think except for one which was in the LDC before it was included in the pack, they were from at least 4 or 5 LDC's ago. This thus proves that even long after the LDC has ended, contest entries from where they came from sometimes still need backroute fixes. Not just the Bonus rank, either. United still needed so many updates long after its release :P

In hindsight, I probably could had posted my replays a few days earlier than I did even if it meant leaving one or two levels unsolved, but as I was so close to getting everything solved, I decided to wait until I did. I'm not completely opposed to posting an incomplete set of replays, though! If it really came down to it, I can always post much earlier before the deadline and post the remaining replays for the unsolved ones later. Let's say sometimes things don't always work out the way you want them to ;) I really needed all that time away from Lemmings this time, as I didn't get much of the break I wanted during the previous LDC, particularly since I was very late with one entry of mine that time. So, even if it meant getting back late to those who posted replays to my levels, I mostly wanted to avoid the disappointment and stress from seeing them still being backrouted that usually results after I've released a few updates. I think that really helped this time around, as I was able to fix them with a clear conscience and therefore avoid the many updates my levels usually need because of backroutes :laugh:

Anyway, glad I could help catch the last few backroutes to your R2! :thumbsup: 

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2023, 06:10:48 AM »
Here are my updated replays. :)

Intended! :)

Sorry Niesch, another backroute I'm afraid, as it's once again just tweaking a previous solution of mine.

No problem at all! I made your solution into a gold talisman for V9: don't use shimmiers. Thanks! 8-)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2023, 06:49:49 AM »
No problem at all! I made your solution into a gold talisman for V9: don't use shimmiers. Thanks! 8-)

Ah, excellent! :thumbsup:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2023, 10:27:25 PM »
All rightie, finally my videos showing my solutions to all the contest entries are up :)

Part 1 (Lix entries) - https://youtu.be/rhyW7LBLzYA

Part 2 (NL Rule 1) - https://youtu.be/-vqL_zhtInI

Part 3 (NL Rule 2) - https://youtu.be/-vqL_zhtInI

Part 4 (NL Rule 3) - https://youtu.be/anTxh8VYh1o

Part 5 (my levels) - https://youtu.be/ZVGbWVzDyvM

Also attached my full replay collection here again, as well as the intended solutions to my levels :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2023, 06:09:41 AM »
Being the math person and huge lover of numbers that I am and R3 being the "miniature" rule, I decided to collect some stats for the R3 levels :laugh: See attached file

In summary, for NL everyone made a 160 x 100 level except for Kingshadow, whose level is instead 128 x 90. For Lix, geoo's is 192 x 192, while Simon's is 320 x 200, which is the maximum allowed in either direction for that engine, and the dimensions are doubled that of NL's because of high-res.

In terms of lemming count, geoo, Niesch, and myself are all tied with 9, the maximum allowed for this ruleset, though Niesch's is an 8-lemming level where you can get a 9th with the cloner skill

Finally, in terms of the maximum amount of skills you can assign/use, Armani, Icho, and Niesch are all tied with 9, though once again in Niesch's case there are 8 skills you can assign + 1 pickup

Not shown in the table, but out of all the R3's, my R3 is also the shortest in terms of solve time, where mine is pretty much the only one that can be solved in under 30 seconds (about 28 seconds or so), with a close second by Niesch, which, even with the correct RR fiddling to do the building ASAP, would still finish a little over 30 seconds.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2023, 11:52:18 PM »
My first NL replays. Amazed how much puzzle potential the shimmier offers, even in the miniatures.

My L-Team solution has a shimmier left over, but still feels reasonable. Everything else looks as if it's 100 % intended.

kaywhyn's videos: Thanks! Gentle Slope is intended, ξ is a minor variant and perfectly acceptable.

Spoiler: ξ (click to show/hide)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 12:02:00 AM by Simon »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2023, 06:24:16 AM »
My L-Team solution has a shimmier left over, but still feels reasonable. Everything else looks as if it's 100 % intended.
[/spoiler]

You also could have a climber left over since the first climber you assigned wasn't necessary. Well done!

I consider it a backroute so I updated the level to V10.

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2023, 03:40:08 PM »
Will put up the voting topic soon. :)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2023, 05:28:49 PM »
I didn't have much time to play through the levels, but at least I managed to finish all of the miniatures and half of the Rule 1 levels.
I've especially liked the levels focused around shimmiers so far!

As for the solutions to my levels, everyone solved Fast Food Forest the intended way.
For Frog Clog, nobody has the intended solution, but all parts of my intended solution are featured in someone's solution. I'm happy to leave this level a bit more open-ended, as I also don't see any elegant fixes. It wasn't meant to be a hard level.
For Underground Club, good find there, kaywhyn, I'm surprised we all missed that! Your solution still features the part of the idea that I care most about, so I might just leave it in.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2023, 05:44:00 PM »
@geoo

Your solutions to my R1 and R3 are both intended. Nice job! :thumbsup:

@Simon

Thanks for confirming my solutions are intended/acceptable even though it was long after I knew they were after checking Icho's video :P Yes, I'm well aware I made my solution to your R1 messier than it needed to be, especially around the exit area :laugh:

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2023, 06:02:43 PM »
@geoo: Cool solution to the L-team level. Not what I intended but perfectly fine. 8-)