Author Topic: [SUG] Randomized Yippee and Boing?  (Read 922 times)

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
[SUG] Randomized Yippee and Boing?
« on: June 03, 2023, 01:27:59 AM »
I love the YIPEE! sound when entering home. But I also get sick of hearing it so much I changed it to BOING!
It might be pleasant to mix the two... only yell yippee on first or last lemming? Or every 3rd one yells Yippee?
Or always do the "Boing" in ffwd mode?

I think three sound samples that have a random-fire method would be lifelike and not as robotic as a perfect 1-2-3 system.
A boing, a swoosh, and a yippee.

I attached the third swoosh sound I had in mind.

*Edit: I edited the WAV file and added a shortened version now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 04:16:10 AM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Randomized Yippee and Boing?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 03:01:05 AM »
I do like the idea of a mix of sounds - the PS2 and PS3 versions of Lemmings do this, and it works quite well in those ports. Having given it some thought, I'm currently about 50/50 on whether I'd personally want it for SuperLemmix, since I generally prefer the single-sound aesthetic of the earlier ports.

Also, speaking purely in terms of the Config menu itself, it could mean potentially extending the Exit sound option to a choice of 3 sounds, plus a "Mix All" option. My instinct is that this would be overdoing it a bit for just this one sound. I'd also not really want to remove the option altogether and make "Mix All" the only available non-optional behaviour.

I suppose we could just make it "Yippee", "Boing", or "Mixture" and then have the Mixture option be an array of about 5 sounds which cycle randomly.

Any other input on this? Would anyone else like to see this feature implemented?

Speaking more generally, I'd like to look at the possibility of updating the sounds so that they're balanced better against each other in terms of volume. This is a different topic, really, and one which I started here for NeoLemmix, but never got around to doing anything about.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 04:17:00 AM »
Don't like this idea at all. The "yippee" is great, while anyone who doesn't like it has the option of replacing it.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 10:49:25 PM »
Topic closed 21/7/23 due to lack of interest in this feature, plus my own reservations about implementing it.

Feel free to PM me on Discord if you'd like to discuss the idea any further.