Author Topic: [DISC] NeoLemmix>SuperLemmix Levelpack Compatibility  (Read 2368 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC]NeoLemmix>SuperLemmix Levelpack Compatibility
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 08:53:36 PM »
In comparison, the number of styles , in the styles folder of my Neolemmix installation, is 261.

Apologies for the inconvenience here; I'm going to eventually look at getting the styles manager up and running again, but this will require paying for a server, so it's only worth doing if SuperLemmix generates a significant user-base.

If you're happy to send me a link to your copy of the styles, I'll add the missing ones to the SuperLemmix styles download so that it's as up-to-date as it can be.

Thanks!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2023, 09:07:29 PM »
It may be that this is something you are not willing to consider, but I thought I should throw it out there.

NL has, from the beginning, been extremely permissive about users making their own styles. This has led to a situation where, not only are there 261 styles to manage, but even packs like Lemmings Cranium and GemLems that are predominantly classic-styles packs will have the occasional level that borrows a piece or two from any of the styles on the list... with the result that although styles are nominally an opt-in feature, the user is obliged to keep all styles installed and up-to-date.

For a new engine, you might consider being more restrictive about which styles are available.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2023, 09:38:31 PM »
For a new engine, you might consider being more restrictive about which styles are available.

I originally thought that as well, but it's only natural for people to want to make SuperLemmix their own, and that means - in most cases - pulling all the styles across. It feels better to embrace this and try my best to keep on top of the occasional inevitable styles issue.

Also, I can only think of two ways to be "restrictive" about this, and I don't really like either of them:

1) Only allow certain styles to be used, and hard-bake these into the code.

This would require a lot of tiresome grunt work to set up, and would put a lot of people off creating content for SuperLemmix, neither of which are things I'm particularly inclined to do.

2) Cherry-pick a handful of styles, and only provide these with SuperLemmix. All others must be shared and maintained independently.

This is better, but how do we decide which styles to use? Obviously I'd want to include my own, and even at that point it already feels elitist and exclusive even before I've added anyone else's to the list. I suppose that I could make it "only styles from anyone who's currently active on the forums, and has already created content for SuperLemmix." That would solve the "exclusivity" problem, but then there's nothing to prevent the styles list from growing exponentially again.

Thoughts?

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2023, 10:41:42 PM »
In comparison, the number of styles , in the styles folder of my Neolemmix installation, is 261.

Apologies for the inconvenience here; I'm going to eventually look at getting the styles manager up and running again, but this will require paying for a server, so it's only worth doing if SuperLemmix generates a significant user-base.

If you're happy to send me a link to your copy of the styles, I'll add the missing ones to the SuperLemmix styles download so that it's as up-to-date as it can be.

Thanks!

Ok! I have temporarly uploaded in my dropbox , as a zip file, my styles folder.
Here is the link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/isjkg6pbqel70ke/styles.zip?dl=1

As for allowing a limited amound of tilesets for Superlemmix , tht would be "bad news" , for level designers like me , that use combination of multiple tilests for their levels.
Personally, for my more recent levels, I have abandoned the "use a single tileset for your level" approach, and for my latest levels, I have used stuff from multiple different tilests , in order to create each of them , or I have even used tiles from different tilesets each other, combined with the group function of the editor, in order to craft my own "custom pieces" , to use them as 'building blocks' , for my levels.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:42:55 PM by Turrican »
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2023, 02:48:58 AM »
Here is a link for my dropbox , which contains, the updated Superlemmix styles : https://www.dropbox.com/s/41cyry82j6fbk9a/Superlemmix_styles.zip?dl=1
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2023, 10:29:08 PM »
Brilliant @Turrican, thanks for this :thumbsup:

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2023, 07:46:30 PM »
Here are my Styles for Neolemmix (More complete one). It has Arty's Artlems, All of Gigalems planet and planet2 sets, Nin10doadicts for his Casuallemmings 2.0, Flopsys' GGF pack styles, Mantha's TV lems, all of Stratos sets(General_md, and all his recolored lemmings), Glitchapp's styles (fishcoralreef, fishfilletscity, and underwaterdivingstyle). Now added Nessy's Sanctuary style. Also did a redo of the styles.ini so it's more organized (Alphabetized). Spent a few days on this.

Here is my link for my more complete set: https://www.mediafire.com/file/7cvy80nhkfgh3j2/styles.zip/file

also here is my link for my sounds which has Nin10doaddicts Casuallemmings 2.0 sounds (ie: the shark and cattrap sounds),
sounds for Flopsys' GGF pack, and sounds for his all his Festive Millas packs including his sampler pack.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8gzz28av7thpbzk/sound.zip/file

Also did the same for the Superlemmix Version, but will wait on WillLem to see if he wants me to P.M. my link for the SLX one so he can look it over since I added back the Millas and Soniclems. He can then repost it for SLX with or without the Millas and Soniclems since some of the new sprites still need to be fixed (IE: Dangler, Looker,etc).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 08:00:09 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2023, 11:15:03 PM »
Thanks for this @Eric, I've started a DM group on Discord for this so that we can get all the styles together in one place and do a comb of them, make sure everything has what it needs to work in SLX, and then we can get the completed folder released.

Any styles that will require sprite updates (Millas, Soniclems, etc) will have to be sorted on a case-by-case basis.

Anyone who wants to be added to the Discord DM group, let me know. If you have resources to share, it will be very useful to have a chance to get everything together in one place rather than lots of sporadic shares here and there (which I imagine is what leads to styles issues in the first place, tbh!) - it's not an exclusive group, anyone who wants to join, has resources to share, or wants to get involved with helping to keep the resources up to date, is more than welcome. No amount of help with this is too small, so let me know if you'd like to be added.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [DISC] NeoLemmix>SuperLemmix Levelpack Compatibility
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 09:16:47 PM »
It's now possible to update all water objects in an entire pack using the SLX QuickMod Tool - choose "Update Water Objects" and all water objects will be automatically converted to their SuperLemmix counterparts.

Note: this only works for orig and ohno styles; levels using custom styles will need to be updated manually using the instructions here.

Additionally, it's now also possible to use the SLX QuickMod tool to mass convert:

All Stoners to Freezers
All Bombers to Timebombers (and vice versa)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:32:22 PM by WillLem »