Author Topic: [SUG] Blockers' heads should turn all the way left and right in the animation  (Read 2627 times)

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Why do the blockers only turn their heads right and then center over and over?

On Lemmings 95 they turn all the way right and all the way left over and over. Like they're saying NO, you may not pass.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

On Lemmings 95 they turn all the way right and all the way left over and over. Like they're saying NO, you may not pass.

This was an intentional NL change made a few years ago (either 12.8 or 12.9, don't remember, but it was around the time the discussion of making a similar change to the digger sprite so you can tell which direction the digger is facing was going on [topic here: Discussion on making direction of blockers and diggers clearer]) so that you can tell what direction the lemming was going in before you assigned the blocker to him. That means for the blocker on the left, you can tell the lemming was walking to the right before he became a blocker because he only looks to the right. Similarly, for the blocker on the right, because he only looks to the left, you can tell the lemming was walking left before he became a blocker. When the blocker looks in both directions, you can't tell which direction the lemming was walking in before he was assigned the blocker skill and therefore will have to remember which direction he was walking in ;)

Now that I think about it, even with this change in NL I don't really pay that much attention to the direction the blocker is looking in while playing. I have noticed it at times, but it's something that I don't always pay attention to whenever there are blockers provided.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 12:42:03 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile

Yeah, tbh I've never liked this change either. If you can help me out a bit here and sort the sprite out, I'll be more than happy to include it in the next release. Low-res and hi-res will need doing, as well as xmas versions as well.

If I get time I'll do it myself, but I'd really appreciate the help if you have some spare time and don't mind doing me a solid.

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
I've always thought that a better way to show this would be to use the blocker's tapping foot.

The head would shake left and right as it did classically, and the left foot would tap for a left facing lemming, and the right foot for the right.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
I've always thought that a better way to show this would be to use the blocker's tapping foot.
the left foot would tap for a left facing lemming, and the right foot for the right.

This is already the case with the current hi-res sprite; the low-res one needs updating to match it. The hi-res sprite is also holding a "stop" sign in the direction they're facing, so that their other hand is the one that actually "stops" the lems behind them.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
I've been a bit busy lately, but I'm working on the animations for orig, and xmas lemmings.

I'm planning on keeping the stop sign in hand and the foot-tapping the same. Just fixing the head motion seems to be the best way to make this perfect in every way.

If this is what you have in mind and can wait a day or two I'll get it.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
I'm planning on keeping ... the foot-tapping the same

Keep it the same for hi-res (since that one has a different tapping foot for each direction), but maybe change the low-res one to bring it in line with the hi-res one. I can't remember what it's like for xmas, but it should be worth doing this for at least the default.

Thanks for agreeing to help! :lemcat:

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Here's the first one done.

...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Here's the first one done.

Nice work! I'll include this in the next update :thumbsup:

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Here's the low-res blocker.
Toe-tap indicates direction.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Here's a zip file with every Blocker updated. (low and high res)

This is all ten included in the latest Styles package. Lemmina, Croft, Orig, Xmas and the black honeycomb Lemmina.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 01:33:15 AM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Here's a zip file with every Blocker updated. (low and high res)

This is all ten included in the latest Styles package. Lemmina, Croft, Orig, Xmas and the black honeycomb Lemmina.

Legend! Thanks for doing this, it's a great help :lemcat: :thumbsup:

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
I made an updated zip file of Blockers.

I noticed in the original xmas animation the light source changes direction on the hat twice. This mistake is from the source file
and it went unnoticed until now. (pic shows the section before fixing)

This new zip has the light source fixed with xmas, no other changes.

(Also, no problem for the help. I'm glad to put something back into the project.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 04:42:46 PM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
This new zip has the light source fixed with xmas, no other changes.

Yes, the light sources are a bit of a pain in hi-res. Thanks for sorting that out :thumbsup:

(Also, no problem for the help. I'm glad to put something back into the project.)

Well, if you like you can help make the Sleeper sprites if you're interested. I'm happy to make the initial default and then you can mod it to your liking and do xmas ones as well if you wish? Sprite-making is always something for which help is very welcome.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
I'll try. This may be more of a stretch of my skills maybe.

I imagine the little lemming on the Xmas screen with the zzz over his head.
I made the Xmas gfx for super lemmini around 2015 and put the still lemming on the right side
with the zzz's over his head and button graphics. And the lemmings holding the + and - signs. I modded the standard lemmings to have the Xmas outfits.

Yeah. If you get something started I'll work on it.
...Jeremy Kapp