Author Topic: [DISC] Projectiles can be thrown through water. Thoughts?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[DISC] Projectiles can be thrown through water. Thoughts?
« on: May 01, 2023, 04:31:07 AM »
Finally got around to actually being able to have a play around with the projectile skills properly. Even made a couple of levels.

Whilst playing through them, I realised that projectile skills can be thrown through water. I'm probably about 50/50 on whether this should be allowed. It could be seen to be thrown in front of the water rather than through it, for instance.

What do people think?

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Re: [DISC] Projectiles can be thrown through water. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 07:53:56 PM »
So far I think I like the projectiles passing through the water as is. Looks fine to me.

The only possible suggestion I have is to change the projectile color to blue as it passes through water. This would make it look clearly intentional and make the projectile appear under water as well.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 09:21:04 PM »
Spears passing through water is definitely the most natural behaviour, and anything else would feel strange.

Grenades could pass through or bounce off the surface or immediately explode -- I have no expectations coming from real-world experience as to which of those is most "natural". I would definitely be against them ceasing to exist with no effect, though!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 12:05:51 AM »
passing through seems the most logical option for all of them [and simplest to avoid more complications/bugs].
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 01:15:17 PM »
So far I think I like the projectiles passing through the water as is. Looks fine to me.
Spears passing through water is definitely the most natural behaviour, and anything else would feel strange.
passing through seems the most logical option for all of them [and simplest to avoid more complications/bugs].

Leaving it as it is would definitely be the easiest solution, so it's good to see support for that! ;P

Grenades could ... immediately explode

I do like the "immediately explode" idea for Grenades. Any other thoughts on this?

The only possible suggestion I have is to change the projectile color to blue as it passes through water. This would make it look clearly intentional and make the projectile appear under water as well.

This is also a good idea, I agree that this would make it look a more intentional. We have to consider that the water could be any colour (or even multiple colours within the same graphic), so it would require getting the colour from the current area and then applying this as a hue-shift to the Spear/Grenade graphic in real-time. Difficult stuff, and I'm not entirely sure how well GR32 would handle this, tbh, but it might be worth a try at some point.

Some good ideas here.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 11:48:18 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 11:20:18 PM »
Since people seem happy enough with current behaviour, I'll leave it as it is rather than give the rendering even more work to do. Topic closed 21/7/23.