Author Topic: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #27 - Results  (Read 2925 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lemmings Forums Level Contest #27 - Results
« on: May 07, 2023, 09:52:34 AM »
Ladies and gentleman, we've got our final results! :)

The winning level is:

Simon's "Rhizome"

The 2nd place is going to:

Simon's "Inside Your Router"

Congratulations to Simon for winning the contest! :thumbsup:  (This is also the first Lix entry to win a contest! :lix-smile:)

Congratulations to NieSch for reaching the 3rd place with:

NieSch's "Splash or Splat"

Choice for the prize for the first place is either:

- a month's advertising on the forum's news ticker
- picking the next contest's rules
- US $5.00 (PayPal would be the easiest here I think).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 08:15:24 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #27 - Results
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 10:08:21 AM »
Congrats Simon! :thumbsup:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 12:21:59 AM »
Thank you! And congrats on third place!

I'm really happy to see Rhizome win. Before the release, I must have sunk 30 hours into backroute-fixing. I designed the solution on paper first, with a loose inspiration from It's Hero Time. Then I spent a night to built the terrain, fine-tuned the various timings, and had several days of backroute testing.

I've cut some parts from the early paper brainstorming (second floater, a blocker, and a 3-builder-wall) for their backroute potential. Don't be afraid of cutting scope in your own levels! The remaining ideas are often strong enough to keep the level interesting.

Inside Your Router arose the opposite way. I placed the terrain first, gave myself 10 builders and started toying around. When I found the solution (which I didn't design), I was surprised how well it worked. Backroute fixing was minimal, too: Builders 10->9 to prevent a 3-builder ramp block near a hatch, and the lasers in the center. Unless you know this story, you'll likely have a hard time guessing that the solution wasn't designed.

The competition was tough. Excellent levels, everybody! I've had a soft spot for Natural-born. And had I been forced to bet on the voting, I might have bet on Clown Fiesta.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 01:39:59 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 10:37:46 PM »
I'll pick the rule-setting as the prize. Here are two rules so far.

Four Corners
  • Put exactly four entrances, one near each corner.
  • Put exactly one exit, near the center.
  • Set the save requirement high enough so that we can't ignore an entrance entirely.
  • No horizontal or vertical wraparound (in Lix).
  • No teleporters (in NeoLemmix).
The terrain can be anything, with as much or as little interplay between entrances as you like. Map dimensions can be as large or small as you like, whether square, tall, or wide. Pre-placed lemmings are okay as long as we must save some lemmings from each hatch.

At the Zoo

Make a level depicting an animal.

The animal might be the entire level, or it might be a smaller part of the terrain. It should be of significant size and play a significant role in the solution. The shape of the terrain counts; you may ignore color.

The third rule will probably be a lenient skillset restriction. I'll see.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 05:53:41 PM »
The third rule: Design a miniature, in the sense of my 2017 topic about Miniatures:
  • The level's width is at most 320 (Lix) or 160 (NeoLemmix); it may be smaller.
  • The level's height is at most 200 (Lix) or 100 (NeoLemmix); it may be smaller.
  • Have 9 or fewer lemmings.
  • Give 9 or fewer skills.
Pre-placed lemmings, neutrals, zombies, ... are allowed, but count towards the maximum of 9 lemmings. Pickup skills are allowed, but count towards the total of 9 skills. The skill limit is about total skill usages, not about different skills.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:03:26 PM by Simon »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 12:13:12 AM »
Congratulations on the win, Simon! :thumbsup: