Author Topic: [FEAT] New lemming states: Dangler and Looker  (Read 1136 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[FEAT] New lemming states: Dangler and Looker
« on: April 05, 2023, 02:49:11 AM »
I've decided to add a new "Dangler" state for when a Slider reaches the point at which they would normally fall.

It's 16 frames long currently, and allows much easier assignment of the Shimmier skill when playing in real-time. Here's a video demo. The sprite is currently just a pink square, as a placeholder to make sure it works. I'll do a proper animation when I have a bit more time to fine tune it:

Here's the video.

From Discord:
Should assigning a Walker to a Dangler turn it around before it drops?
I'm leaning towards no, because that isn't what happens with Shimmiers, so why should it happen with Danglers

It's purely cosmetic, but I'd also like the Spearer & Grenader to transition to a "Looker" state, with hand above brow looking over to where they've thrown the projectile, similar to my avatar. This would obviously replace the Shrugger, which makes less sense but I think was always a placeholder anyway, even in NL.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:52:37 PM by WillLem »

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Re: [SLX][DISC] New lemming states: Dangler and Looker
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »
I like the dangler state.

If a dangler falls in the same direction he was moving eventually anyway I would think assigning walker to him would change direction.

The looker state is going to be great. A very "lemming" thing to do.

I really enjoyed that zombie pack "Doomsday Lemmings." I wonder if there's any interest in updating the zombie mode.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 05:00:44 AM »
New Dangler video - complete with full sprite animation this time :lemcat:

It was a bit more fiddly than I expected to add this; each possible transition needs to be accounted for, and some need to be adjusted by single pixels from one state to the next (hence the swimmer/water, and the 3 almost-identical gliders-on-platforms setup on the left of the video. The pipes are 1px apart from each other, to test for Dehoister > Dangler > Walker transition).

It will need to be fully bug-tested, ideally. I'm fairly certain I've covered everything, but a fresh pair of eyes nearly always sport something I didn't. If you do notice anything that seems a bit off, let me know.

If a dangler falls in the same direction he was moving eventually anyway I would think assigning walker to him would change direction

I've decided against the direction change pre-drop. A Walker just cancels the state, like for every other usage of a Walker other than on an actual walking lemming; I'd rather not add extra rules.

I only really mentioned it because Danglers can accept the Walker skill, but it seems a waste because it just makes them drop. They would drop after 16 frames anyway, so I felt that maybe the Walker should do something else. Then, I realised it just overcomplicates things unnecessarily, so I'm leaving it as-is.

The looker state is going to be great. A very "lemming" thing to do.

:P

I really enjoyed that zombie pack "Doomsday Lemmings." I wonder if there's any interest in updating the zombie mode.

What do you have in mind?

There is now a "Kill All Zombies" talisman in SLX. It was originally written in for NL but then the feature was abandoned. It needs testing, so as soon as I get chance I'll make a few zombie levels.

It might even make a good community project: everyone make a zombie level with the talisman.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 09:21:54 PM »
Love the dangler animation!
I look forward to the "looker".

I think we need a community zombie project. We definitely need more zombie levels.
My only suggestion might be some "zombie-state" cure. I saw someone else suggest this here somewhere. Maybe a gate to pass through, or a pickup or some holy resurrection spot. It would add a certain mechanic to the game.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 03:44:52 PM »
Say hello to the "Looker"... the lem from the front cover of Lemmings 1 (and, the one from my avatar) finally has an in-game state assigned to it!

Looker Demo vid here.

It's 14 frames long, so a good 6 frames longer than the Shrugger. Anyone who's made Spearer/Grenader levels should check their replays to make sure this doesn't break the level.

Also, the Thrower sprite has had to be modified so that the animation transition between the two states is smoother. I don't think anyone has made any custom sprites yet, but - if you have - this will also need to be taken into account.

The next SLX release looks exciting so far! I just need to make a few more tweaks and then it should be ready.

My only suggestion might be some "zombie-state" cure. I saw someone else suggest this here somewhere. Maybe a gate to pass through

The neutralizer will hopefully be a feature of the next version of NeoLemmix; once it's stable, I'll likely add it into SLX as well. If the object can be modded to work for zombies as well, then let's go for it; however, we'd need to address the concerns raised by namida as reasons for the de-zombifier not going ahead in NeoLemmix.

Personally, I'd rather see if we can find a way around these concerns. But, they would need to be addressed before the de-zombifier happens. I'll make a separate topic about this when the time comes.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 03:20:09 AM »
I love the looker state. It totally seems like the best thing to do.

I've been traveling and only checking up with my phone, but I can't wait for the next version.

Are we getting a different grenade graphic some time? It would be cool if it was more oval and every few frames it switched from vertical to horizontal to make it look like it flipping end-over-end. It might be too small for that detail though.

Keep up the great work! I like checking on this every day.
...Jeremy Kapp