Author Topic: Free assciations...  (Read 7593 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Free assciations...
« on: August 10, 2006, 07:52:36 AM »
Next week I'll release Lemmix alpha 0.0.6. This version will probably, although not perfect yet, contain a level player which will play Original, ONML, Crhistmas, Holiday and CustLemm.
Now I'm thinking of ways to create one ore more standalone player(s), which copy, as exactly as possible, the behaviour of the original games.

Now for the free associations: it would be nice if the people who are still alive on this forum come up with some ideas about this player(s): extended functionality? several players or one player, any ideas actually.

Basically: how would you like your DOS-lemmings under Windows?

Any ideas welcome as long as it does not really violate the original behaviour or graphics.

SeriousGamer

Re: Free assciations...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:12:32 PM »
I've always kind of wanted to be able to tell a builder to build a certain number of bridges. Maybe you could be able to click a builder repetedly while he is building to set this number (displayed over his head). Also fast forward would be nice. I'm not sure if these are the kinds of suggestions you are looking for though. :smiley:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »
several players or one player, any ideas actually.

Are you really thinking of multiplayer Lemmings?

Do keep in mind that to make a useful multiplayer implementation in today's world, you'll probably need to do it over a network/Internet.̆ So right off the bat you'll have a whole module of new code to design, write and test.

I suggest sticking to single-player ideas for now until your code moves onto post-alpha stages......

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 06:17:54 PM »
No I was not thinking of multiplayer. I was thinking of releasing specialized executables for the different styles or releasing one exe that can handle them all.
But now that you mention it.... If so it will be in the far future.
@SeriousGamer: any ideas are welcome!

TOG

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:28:24 PM »
Is being able to play Lemmings 2 levels too much to ask? I know the levels are an entirely different format... noone has made a level editor for Lemm2 have they? Cheapo doesn't quite do that.

And I suppose you could add alternate abilities (or skills), although without them it would have more of a classic feel.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 06:24:54 PM »
Well, Eric did say any suggestions......

But yeah, obviously doing Lemmings 2 would be quite beyond the current scope.  In fact, at least regarding the DOS version, I don't think anyone even have any information on the even the level file formats.

But I thought I remember seeing a level editor for the Amiga version of Lemming 2 on the web......

As for alternate skills, it seems that most people here are wary of it, especially with some of the rather overdone ones from Lemmings 2.  Still, I think some new skills like stacker and platformer can prove interesting without breaking away too much from the "classic" feel.  But for now I'm perfectly happy with Lemmix just sticking to Lemmings 1 stuff.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:47:19 AM »
But yeah, obviously doing Lemmings 2 would be quite beyond the current scope.  In fact, at least regarding the DOS version, I don't think anyone even have any information on the even the level file formats.
I've figured out how to rip the Lemmings 2 tiles, so if he decides to add this, I can help a bit.

But I thought I remember seeing a level editor for the Amiga version of Lemming 2 on the web......
Yup, but it's really hard to get working for anyone (like me) who doesn't know how to run AmigaOS in an emulator... even then, I don't think I could figure it out again. :(

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 04:29:13 AM »
I'm certainly interested in these game-tiles.
But I have to wait with that. Now I'm busy with replay and a standalone player.

Are the terrains and objects usable for the originals?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 07:14:27 AM »
But yeah, obviously doing Lemmings 2 would be quite beyond the current scope.̆ In fact, at least regarding the DOS version, I don't think anyone even have any information on the even the level file formats.

I've figured out how to rip the Lemmings 2 tiles, so if he decides to add this, I can help a bit.

Interesting.̆ I would be interesting to know the information you have so far regarding the Lemmings 2 tiles (e-mail me), though I doubt I'll be doing anything with the information anytime soon.

SeriousGamer

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 04:32:53 AM »
I don't know if this would violate some of the dos lemmings gameplay mechanics, but I really like some of the functions of cheapo lemmings. These are things I use often other than fast forward and replay:
1) selecting different tools while the game is paused
2) unpausing by clicking the screen or assigning a task
3) holding left or right to select a lemming walking in the indicated direction
I know the last one would make the level "All or Nothing" much easier, and they could hinder many people's custom levels, but these are the functions that make me prefer playing cheapo over custlemm. :smiley:

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 09:07:35 PM »
1) selecting different tools while the game is paused
I assume you mean with the mouse, because it is possible already with F3-F10.
It is possible to implement this.
2) unpausing by clicking the screen or assigning a task
3) holding left or right to select a lemming walking in the indicated direction
Yeah this could affect gameplay seriously, but these are good ideas for future extensions.
When the dos-clones are ready the plan is to create a seperate extension of the originals, a bit like Cheapo (although I never played it, my monitor does not like it).
And when my programming skills and time allow I would like to build a style+animation editor too.

So maybe the ideas have to be seperated
1) Extend dos-clones, without violating (a good example is replay)
2) Ideas for new lemmingthings (like higher levels, with vertical scrolling), as long it does not become WarCraft :)

The Cheapo bridges I like (with 12 colors).

TOG

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 04:16:17 AM »
My main complaint (which may seem stupid, it does to me) is that Lemmix is in a window. I'd prefer it like most programs, where it resizes to fit the screen (like it's done when the level is being played). And it would be nice if there was no hint of you being in windows. That's fine for certain programs, but I feel that editors or games should create their own feel.

Sorry about my stupidity. You'll get used to it.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 07:11:15 PM »
I agree only partially. In my opinion the editor only needs to do its job: editing.
On the other hand: the interface of Lemmix is not the most fancy I can imagine, but I rather spend my time on the game-clone now. Creating fancy interfaces is a time-consuing thing.
The game must be fullscreen, I agree totally.

SeriousGamer

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 03:28:07 PM »
I don't see how beaing able to pause and unpause without clicling the button at the bottom would significantly change the gameplay. The snes version has the start button after all. I think there should at least be a pause key on the keyboard. That is... unless something like that is already implemented. :embarassed:

Online geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 03:31:11 PM »
There is indeed one: F11. (the F-Keys 1-12 represent the buttons in the bottom bar 1-12)

SeriousGamer

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 03:41:26 PM »
Oh thanks, nevermind then.