Author Topic: [EDITOR] Updates to the Editor  (Read 1084 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[EDITOR] Updates to the Editor
« on: February 26, 2023, 05:56:28 PM »
Editor updates:

The SuperLemmix Editor is based on the NeoLemmix Editor, and uses the same codebase. It's mostly the same, but here's a list of everything that's changed so far:

:lemming: Custom Piece Move: Pressing Alt+Arrows now allows pieces to be moved a custom amount, which users can set to their liking in the F10 Settings menu

:lemming: Horizontal and Vertical Drag: Pressing Ctrl+Shift then dragging pieces allows them to be dragged Vertically (along the Y-axis only). Pressing Ctrl+Alt then dragging pieces allows them to be dragged Horizontally (along the X-axis only)

:lemming: Freezer, Grenader, Spearer and Timebomber added to skillsets

:lemming: Kill All Zombies talisman added

:lemming: Wider theme/styles dropdowns for easier reading

:lemming: Some of the fields, buttons and labels have been re-named slightly (their functionality remains the same)

:lemming: "Clear Backgrounds" button has been moved to the piece selection area

:lemming: "Tools" and "Options" menus have been condensed into one (labelled "Options"), so Snap-To-Grid now appears here

:lemming: Play Level and Validate Level have been moved to the File menu, and Validate Level now has its own hotkey (Ctrl+F12)

:lemming: Stoner support removed

:lemming: Auto Screen Start is now unchecked by default - the plan is eventually to set this back to checked by default, and automatically uncheck it if the user edits the screen start values

Wish list for the future:

:lemming: Make "Lemminas" another type of lemming (like Zombies, Neutrals) which can be added to levels alongside regular Lemmings (this will also need player support as well, obviously)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:44:35 AM by WillLem »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [SuperLemmix][Editor] Updates to the Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 01:05:17 PM »
Sorry, I haven’t really had time to process everything you’re up to with this huge endeavour of creating an entire new fork of NeoLemmix. But if the things you list as “done” here are indeed things you’ve already dealt with on the coding side, huge props to you! :thumbsup: You either must be learning really fast, or you’ve already spent a lot of time over the past years learning to code all these things, and are now finally ready to put them into practice.

One question that came to my mind reading your list here:
If you say Grenader support will be added, is the same also true for the Spearer?

I assume both explosive and creative projectiles rely on the same mechanics for the throwing itself. So having one skill but not the other would make all the effort of re-implementing the Grenader less efficient than if you implemented both the Grenader and the Spearer.

I don’t remember how much you personally liked the Spearer, back when it was being tested for NeoLemmix. I liked both the Spearer and Grenader (as the memory line under my profile picture still says to this day :crylaugh: ). But of course, I’m not the one dealing with the effort of coding these skills back into NeoLemmix / into the new fork SuperLemmix. So if you can only add the Grenader, that will still be a win either way, of course.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SuperLemmix][Editor] Updates to the Editor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 08:57:28 PM »
If you say Grenader support will be added, is the same also true for the Spearer?

Yeah, both are in and supported player and editor-side. It was a lot of work systematically getting all the code back in the right places, but it was worth it :lemcat:

I learned a lot about how skills work in NL, so there's potential for more to be added in the future, or for existing ones to be revised! ;P

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [SLX][Editor] Updates to the Editor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 06:18:17 PM »
Great job, Will! :thumbsup: I’ll need to have a look at this soon.

Is there any way of converting levels or entire packs from NeoLemmix (irrespective which version number) to SuperLemmix? I’m not saying I would convert a pack like my in-development Lemmings: Hall of Fame, but the chance of having Spearer and Grenader at my disposal would at least make this an option worth considering.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SLX][Editor] Updates to the Editor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 07:07:37 PM »
Is there any way of converting levels or entire packs from NeoLemmix (irrespective which version number) to SuperLemmix?

The SuperLemmix Editor loads and saves .nxlv files, so the format is currently identical. I have no plans to change this, either.

With that said, it's worth keeping in mind the differences between NeoLemmix and SuperLemmix to see if there's anything you'd like to change in your levels to make them more platform-specfic, or fix any backroutes that the new features may open up.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [EDITOR] Updates to the Editor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 02:46:38 AM »
Just thought I'd give this one a bump. The Editor will have quite a few new features in the next release, see the OP for details.

If you have any requests or things you'd like to see in the Editor, post here and I'll see what I can do.