Author Topic: A SuperLemmix levelpack?  (Read 449 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
A SuperLemmix levelpack?
« on: March 19, 2024, 10:29:11 PM »
I want to get a feel for who/how many people are interested in this. I've grown bored of regular NL; and level design, I want to design levels with new features so I'm possibly going to try make levels with different skills and things, a level pack for SuperLemmix, Who'd be interested in playing/play testing?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Re: A SuperLemmix levelpack?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 12:35:33 AM »
I will definitely download and play it. I'm not the best at some of these really difficult levels and I'm not above sneaking a peek at a replay or two when I'm stuck, which may not be possible if the player audience is small, but I definitely want to play it.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 01:34:11 AM »
As SLX dev, I heartily encourage this project. Count me in :thumbsup:

Offline Floyd Brannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 10:40:03 PM »
there's nothing I'd rather see than a good SLX level pack! I love reading about all these new skills and features but I haven't been able to use them. Except in a few example levels.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 08:46:59 AM »
I am planning to eventually create a pack similar to Lemmings: Hall of Fame, given all the SuperLemmix features that would allow me to make such a pack even more similar to Lemmings 2: The Tribes. Most notably, the Spearer and Grenader skills.

However, of course I should prioritise releasing Lemmings: Hall of Fame for NeoLemmix itself. ;)

Once SuperLemmix reaches a stable version, with the stream of new features slowing down a bit, I could continue working on the conversion of Lemmings World Tour. I think I stopped somewhere on the Professional rank, when WillLem warned that some skill behaviours might still change (e.g., the ability to assign Blockers to Swimmers was being discussed back then — I don’t know if that’s still a thing at the moment or not. I admit I kind of lost track, since I haven’t been on the forums a lot lately, and it seems like a bunch of new features are being introduced in parallel… :D ).
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 02:07:44 PM »
the ability to assign Blockers to Swimmers was being discussed back then — I don’t know if that’s still a thing at the moment or not

Glad to hear you're thinking of making a pack for SLX. It would be good to have some original packs rather than just NL-to-SLX conversions, and I'm sure you'll enjoy making use of the new features in your levels! :lemcat:

Assigning Blockers to Swimmers is definitely something I still want to do - I just need to overcome the challenge of swapping the sprite. I got very close with it last time, and will absolutely look at it again in a future update.

Aside from that, the only skill changes will be adding the Propeller (likely) and the Batter (this one will be a much greater challenge), and it's looking very likely that I will go ahead with adding a transition state for Shimmier > Climber; at the moment it looks like a bug, so I want to make it clear that the behaviour is intended - an 8-frame sprite similar to the hoister is all that's required here, and I very much doubt it will unfixably break any existing levels.

The wish list contains everything that's currently being considered as possible future additions to SLX: this is about the maximum that the engine will get from here on out.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 10:16:09 AM »
Yes, I've just stopped after 5 levels so far, due to the anticipation of changing physics. For example, I just noticed one of my replays broke due to the introduction of the "Looker / Dangler" state for the Slider. (No problem, I just had to redo the last two assignments - a Basher was now being assigned slightly too late, only after a lemming had turned around.)

As long as only few levels are affected, these things are easy fixes; they become much more annoying however if they need to applied to an entire pack retro-actively.

Hence, I'll continue to focus on NeoLemmix for the time being - specifically, Lemmings: Hall of Fame. The successor to that (working title "Lemmings Band Camp") will then be started officially once you announce a somewhat stable state for SuperLemmix. ;)

In the meantime, feel free to try out different physics for whatever you like. For blocking Swimmers, for example, I can imagine lots of potential uses - also lots of potential backroutes for existing levels.

This is where I agree that, especially when it comes to the development of a new engine, existing levels should receive a lower priority. Since what's possible in the future shouldn't be hindered by what has been done in the past, especially if the primary argument for the past behaviour is just "this is the way we've always done things, now it's too late to change it". Such as the Stoner being a suboptimal skill when compared to the Freezer. (Added side benefit, "Slowfreeze" in SuperLemmix makes much more sense when it actually turns the lemming into a Freezer, rather than a Stoner :D ).
So I guess Nepster's statement that existing levels were flat-out "unimportant" came off as just a little too radical, since it implies the relevance of existing content is 0, rather than, say, 50% to 70% of the relevance of potential new packs, which would then be created specifically for SuperLemmix.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 10:00:04 PM »
Advice when making a pack for SuperLemmix: try to make plenty of levels which allow the player to explore the new skills and features without too much difficulty at first.

I've implemented the Infinite Skills hotkey as a means of allowing players to experiment easily when they're stuck on a level, but it would still be nice to have some solvable levels which don't need to rely on the Infinite Skills mode (which doesn't count the level as passed if it's in effect when gameplay ends).

Consider this. It's what I call the Difficulty / Enjoyability curve:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile