Author Topic: geoo visits Simon, February 2023  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: geoo visits Simon, February 2023
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 07:57:50 PM »

Here is the story about NieSch's Tomb of Doom from Level Design Contest 27.

The image shows the lower half of Tomb of Doom. geoo and I each played on our machines next to each other. We tried for half an hour to find an efficient way across the lower-left pool.

Eventually, geoo said: "I want to use the Highland-10 trick to fling a worker out of the water pool."

L2 always flings lemmings upwards, even if they're below the epicenter of a flinging explosion. This method allows to save 100 % on Highland 10 instead of the intended lose-1. As in the gif, you mortar close to the faller, thus fling the faller to the bottom-right side.

You can even use a variant of the trick where you don't fling a faller, but a drowner, which will fly upwards out of the water and thus survive.

Well, this is all very nice in theory, but Tomb of Doom doesn't give us any mortars. namida never added flinging to NeoLemmix, thus the Highland-10 idea can't lead to anything promising. Right?

Spoiler for Tomb of Doom (click to show/hide)

NieSch, thanks for the most memorable a-ha effect of the contest-solving weekend!

-- Simon
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 08:53:10 PM by Simon »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
Re: geoo visits Simon, February 2023
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 08:58:09 PM »
You're welcome. And thank you for these amusing - and well illustrated - anecdotes. :crylaugh: :thumbsup:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft