Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Skill shadow ignores death from out-of-bounds  (Read 4839 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
[BUG][PLAYER] Skill shadow ignores death from out-of-bounds
« on: February 03, 2023, 11:13:24 PM »
NL 12.5.5 12.12.5.

Have a lemming near the top of the level, almost at the ceiling. Have space in front of the lemming. Select jumper in the panel. Hover over the lemming.

Game draws an arc that goes out of bounds (where nothing is drawn, and this is correct), then returns downwards from the ceiling. But if we assign jumper, the jumper does not follow this arc. Instead, the jumper dies beyond the ceiling and never returns. The arc and the path do not match even though there is no interaction with other lemmings.

Expected: The arc comes back from the ceiling if and only if the jumper survives.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 03:26:16 AM by Simon »

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Skill shadow ignores death from out-of-bounds
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 11:40:23 PM »
What title bar are you using?

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 01:54:22 AM »
It's a screenshot of VLC playing the attached video. It's not a direct screenshot of NL.

-- Simon

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 02:08:58 AM »
I know I'm just curious what title bar it is for VLC

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 06:04:28 AM »
It's a title bar in the Curve theme from Xfce 4 on Linux. No particular settings for VLC.

Dekstop stuff must be reasonably dark, moderately small, completely static (buttons or scrollbars shall not roll in and out) and overall nonintrusive.

-- Simon

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 06:21:01 AM »
Ah nice. I didn't think NeoLemmix worked on Linux but I haven't heard of the XFCE distro before

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 07:06:17 AM »
Ha, that's my level. It's intended that you can't jump there. And yes: it would be logical that the skill shadow would end.

(Btw, off-topic: I love the Amiga version of the sound when a lemming disappears. It's a different pitched sound from the one in NeoLemmix and it always makes me laugh.)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 07:42:16 PM »
Ah nice. I didn't think NeoLemmix worked on Linux but I haven't heard of the XFCE distro before

There's an app for Linux (and Intel-based Macs) called WINE, which is kind of like a Windows emulator (more accurately, it'd be called a compatibility layer, not an emulator). NeoLemmix runs very well in it, aside from some issues with Fullscreen mode on certian versions of Linux.

The one limitation is that due to how it works, it won't work on PCs that don't use an Intel or AMD CPU (so it won't work on, for example, the newer M1 Macs).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 03:53:02 PM »
Yeah I tried running NeoLemmix in WINE on Linux Mint but it didn't work so I might install and Xfce 4 and try it on that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 08:58:22 AM »
Fixed in commit ee74d0f. However, it still occurs for the projection shadows, and applying a similar fix just makes the entire shadow not work. Need to take a closer look at this.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)