Author Topic: [BUG][Player] Worse default sound audio quality  (Read 2355 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[BUG][Player] Worse default sound audio quality
« on: January 22, 2023, 01:01:25 PM »
Was discussed on discord in November but after testing the EXP version and hearing those again I decided to make it a topic. :8():

I suddenly noticed that the "lets go" and hatch opening sounded quite off as it were mono or low quality. Noticed there was a sound folder change in the last update - got an older version of the sound folder to go back and it was normal again.

V12.12.5 seems to have introduced a default style change that includes those sounds.

namida's answer was:

There was an update to them as part of the default style, as they had weird frequencies which may have been causing an issue someone reported. If the quality has taken a hit as a result I'll take a look at that at some point

4KB was the sound file size before now it's 33KB. So there were some changes.

I am using the 12.12.3 sounds now. Compared the new 12.12.5 sounds sound extremely off.

I am strongly suggesting reverting back to the older files! The new ones sound much worse in my ears!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][Player] Worse default sound audio quality
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 12:46:02 PM »
I'm completely with Icho here, as I too hear the differences in the "let's go" and hatch opening sounds and don't like the new ones either.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 02:37:31 PM »
Please can someone send a zip of the (old) sounds and a zip of the (new) sounds. I'm not hearing any difference between those in 12.12.5 and previous versions...

(This could be because I usually migrate all my stuff over to the new update, but just want to make sure)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 06:49:21 PM »
I attached some old sounds here.

For the new simply get the EXP-Player version: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5852.0

I think in-game the difference is better heard.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 02:18:16 PM »
Thanks Icho. Yes, the old sounds are much better (and also smaller file sizes).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 07:40:10 PM »
Okay so, this was changed because while looking into a sound-related bug report, I noticed these files had weird frequencies, so I re-saved them all with standard ones. Obviously this has caused issues for some people; on the other hand, the person who reported that bug (who is the only one to report the issue they had) never responded as to whether it helped.

So - I'll put a style update that reverts the sounds.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)