Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Option won't persist: Don't Replay After Backwards Frameskips  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Hi,

while I composed today's main issue about about negatively-worded binary options, I thought about how namida and Nepster worded those options in the config file. Then I stumbled onto this bug on the side:

NeoLemmix 12.12.5.

The user options file settings/settings.ini does not persist the option "Don't Replay After Backwards Frameskips". If you check that option during your session, it will be forgotten after the end. settings/settings.ini contains no line for that option. When you run NL for the next time, the checkmark will be gone. During play, then, NL will replay your actions after you've rewound them.

Expected instead: NL writes that option to settings/settings.ini. NL restores this on next session.

(Other options save properly to settings/settings.ini and restore properly.)

Who needs the option to ditch actions from the replay on rewind? I haven't seen anybody ranting about this bug before. It looks like I'm the first to run into it, and I only ran into it during the naming research, not because I wanted to toggle that option. Lix offers a similar option ("Keep replay after rewind") and Forestidia and mobius prefer in Lix the rewind to be an undo. Forestidia feels strongly about this in Lix. Thus, it feels like it makes sense to keep the option. But stay tuned over Christmas for the popcorn on insert-into-replay in Lix. :lix-evil:

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 07:50:51 AM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
you worded it best I think by describing it like "rewind functions as an undo" . I think that was the expected behavior by myself, (right or wrong) initially and I remember getting very annoyed before this option existed that rewinding *did not* undo.
Obviously if you want to look at the replay like reading a book, as you described it elsewhere some time, then you want the replay preserved. In my own playing I occasionally use it like that; but much less often then wanting that "undo feature". However now there is "rewind to last skill assignment", (I think....) which is essentially an undo, or sounds like it. Yet I haven't used this feature much yet, even though it sounds very helpful...

In the end the UI of both NL and Lix is very nice atm, I have had little complaints, compared to before.

And then you have levels that are so complex that even with replay insert mode and shadows or Lix's replay tweaker they're still a pain. :evil:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Right, I've pondered the different playstyles: You're envisioning rewind is undo, and most others envision rewind as browsing the replay like a book. I think we can improve the support for both of these styles, and I'll open topics on the Lix board soon for them.

More concretely about this bug:

Have you played NeoLemmix recently and got annoyed that "Don't replay after backwards frameskipping" loses its checkmark after exiting NeoLemmix, then restarting NeoLemmix? I'd guess that you're the prime candidate to get annoyed over it. Or haven't you played NeoLemmix enough recently to get annoyed over it yet?

Rewind to last assignment, I haven't used that yet. It's possible that it relieves annoyance from this bug, and few people would run into this bug in the first place.

Of course, I'd like to see this bug fixed already because I like seeing such bugs fixed, and any deeper research into feeelings/annoyances around it are to improve Lix. But it's well possible that the research to improve Lix will cross-pollinate back to NL.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 04:36:57 AM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I'm using 12.12.4 .  I didn't realize it until testing out just now but I not longer use "Don't replay after backwards frameskipping" and apparently I haven't been for a while. I don't recall if I ever encountered this bug. Something tells me I did but eventually just gave up on a fix.  I guess I just got used to replay always being preserved.

I have recently used it  and its been very helpful actually for going back and forth to see which exact frame a skill is assigned on; usually so I can assign on the very next or previous frame instead. Here clicking an extra time isn't a pain. My play style changes over time; you adapt to what you have to use and deal with.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Thanks!

Interesting, but yeah, it makes sense that you didn't worry about this bug anymore after adapting -- even unknowingly -- to rewind-is-browse. If both styles are acceptable, the bug isn't as nagging. And after it didn't nag you anymore, nobody else seems to have run into the bug.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Fixed in commit b7560ec. For some reason, the line to save this setting was erased (or possibly, was never implemented in the first place).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)