Lix > Lix Levels

Lemforum outtakes/replacements, 0.10.x

(1/6) > >>

mobius:
Edit Simon: I've split outtakes/replacements off the lemforum backroute fixes.

thinking/rethinking what levels of mine I'm not pleased with. I think these are my top contenders:

Babylon Fading
6 Gaps 5 Builders
Passing Engagement
---
The Last Laugh
Erbalunga
The Great Escape

Here are four new (old) levels for consideration/testing. I have a couple more I want to make before I'm done.

Niche by Yawg:
has many solutions. All exits might be reachable, only one I have not reached is the bottom left. but none should be trivial.
When putting together Revenge of the Lemmings I removed some of the exits but I think that was a mistake, imo it's pretty interesting with so many solutions. Another one from Yawg's excellent pack 6, where Duality came from.

Try Climbing That! by Shvegait.
An old level that I only recently solved and added to the update to Revenge of the Lemmings. This could possibly work in favor of the Gr8 Escape; which is also a builder exercise but this one's bit better imho, or maybe it's not. (Or any other level, doesn't matter that much to me which this replaces) It also got favorable comments from Armani and Turrican.

Leave No Lix Behind, by Ben Bryant
Some of Ben's levels are already in the pack; he was an excellent designer for Cheapo back in the day, made some unique levels. This is one of my favorites.

Locked and Loaded by Ben Bryant
This is my personal favorite of his and imo his hardest level. At least it took me the longest to solve. Fortunately, while lack of arrows is annoying the fling bombers may actually easily remove one of the annoying backroutes. I'd highly recommend this one. Was very satisfying to solve.

Proxima:
I'm on board with removing "Babylon Fading" and "Erbalunga" in favour of "Leave No Lix Behind" and "Locked and Loaded". (However, this isn't a definite decision as yet; we need to decide on ordering, and we need to test the new levels for backroutes.)

However, I am against doing any more tinkering with the composition at this stage. The pack has been stable for years, and all the levels we had were chosen for inclusion because they are good levels. Sure, there are other good levels out there, but we can't keep on tinkering for ever.

mobius:

--- Quote from: Proxima on December 03, 2022, 08:38:30 PM ---I'm on board with removing "Babylon Fading" and "Erbalunga" in favour of "Leave No Lix Behind" and "Locked and Loaded". (However, this isn't a definite decision as yet; we need to decide on ordering, and we need to test the new levels for backroutes.)

However, I am against doing any more tinkering with the composition at this stage. The pack has been stable for years, and all the levels we had were chosen for inclusion because they are good levels. Sure, there are other good levels out there, but we can't keep on tinkering for ever.

--- End quote ---

Why not? You can call a project "finished" and then still alter it or update it later. If you're not happy with something the way it is, you want to change it. And as I said before (and actually years before but my posts were met with the same response or ignored.) I'm not happy with a number of the levels I made at this time, mainly because I was pretty new to making custom levels at the time.

When I did Revenge of the Lemmings, I let the people who were active and had the ability to decide what should be done with their levels; do that, even if it wasn't the "popular opinion". That seemed fair to me. Yet you've consistently been against me making decisions about my own levels in this pack.

I don't frankly care all that much whether everyone decides to make these changes or not, its the principle. I'm tired of dealing with this and that's really why I took such a hiatus from Lix in the first place.

Simon:
Retracting your own levels should always be possible.

Reason: Designers improve their average quality by cutting fluff. If we don't allow for that, we'll put designers at risk of submitting things. It's especially important in lemforum because we advertize that to newcomers, to play first. Designers want to have their best work showcased.

The alternative is to keep lemforum as it is, but eventually advertize something else as the first pack. Lix itself will change over the years, and it will not be finished anytime soon. It's only appropriate that Lix shows the best slice of quality that we can muster at any given time.

-- Simon

Proxima:
I'm sorry if my post was out of line. I should have identified this as a point of disagreement and invited mobius into an open discussion so that we could help each other understand where we are both coming from.

I never intended to make you feel you were unwelcome or had to take a break. Maybe it would have been better if you'd spoken up at the time about the way you felt, and we could have tried to come to a compromise. I don't think I am an unreasonable person.

Let me briefly state my own point of view. I feel it's important to recognise that when a pack has been out for years, each level represents a lot of work, not just on the part of the original designer (and remaker, if any) but also on the part of those who have tested it, weeded out backroutes, and gradually improved it. Division of Labour comes to mind, since it's one that you mentioned in your post. This is now a really good level that earns its place in the last rank of the pack, because of the original design by Pieuw, mobius's remake, the time and effort Simon put into testing it, and my own contributions in fixing backroutes. It doesn't sit right with me that any one of us should have the right to override the others and throw all that away. In the original formation of a pack, sure, I would accept that the designer has the right of absolute veto if they don't want a particular one of their own levels included. When a pack has been stable for a long time, I don't think that's how things should be done.

Still, I respect that Lix is Simon's project, and he decides how it will work. I am just grateful that I was able to be part of it.

I would like to be removed from my positions as the pack maintainer and board moderator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version