Author Topic: [Bug][Player]Issues involving Transparent Terrain  (Read 3299 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
[Bug][Player]Issues involving Transparent Terrain
« on: November 16, 2022, 03:36:04 AM »
The first issue involved grouping, when the terrain is grouped in Editor like below

The player instead decides to render it like this

The other issue, overlaying a transparent piece on steel, I don't know weather or not to count this as a bug but it does carry the properties of when a destructible terrain piece is overlayed on steel, all the contents of that piece can be destroyed, I guess it doesn't count as a bug since the terrain is functioning correctly, but at the same time well...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Bug][Player]Issues involving Transparent Terrain
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 03:46:22 AM »
The editor does not handle semitransparent terrain properly. This is a known issue but hard to resolve with how the editor is written.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 03:49:11 AM »
The editor does not handle semitransparent terrain properly. This is a known issue but hard to resolve with how the editor is written.
Well I knew about the semitransparency problem, but what about the grouping of semitransparent pieces? The other pieces were used to show a example of piece I used.
Why does the grouping for semitransparent pieces result in what's seen in the player?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 06:11:59 AM »
I'd have to look into it more closely - haven't had a chance to do so yet. Can you post a pic of them in the player (not grouped) to compare, or tell me which style / pieces these are? Or post a sample level?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 06:46:48 AM »

The set being used is early in production, a finished version of the set will be featured in FM22

But since it's needed to investigate the issue, I'll supply the version being used just extract in the styles folder

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
I don't entirely understand what the problem is here, can you explain what effect you are trying to achieve @GigaLem?

willlem_lemminas_slushworld uses semitransparent pieces, and although the editor doesn't show the semitransparency, it always appears correctly when rendered in the player.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 08:46:20 PM »
Ah, I see the issue upon looking closer - in the grouped pieces, some pixels are becoming non-solid where they shouldn't. I'd have to look into the code to figure out why, but this is definitely a bug. I do notice it happens specifically where the two pieces overlap - which should not become non-solid when the non-overlapping pixels remain solid (as they would be more opaque, not less).

Regarding the steel - when steel is involved in overlapping semi-transparent pieces, it depends how semi-transparent they are as to what the result is. As a general rule of thumb, if a given pixel is opaque enough to be solid when placed not overlapping other terrain, it's also opaque enough to overwrite steel with non-steel physics.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 09:59:02 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects