Author Topic: Is this a troll post?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Is this a troll post?
« on: July 31, 2022, 01:41:01 AM »
I'm just wondering, is this a troll post?

Either way, you just lost the game

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Is this a troll post?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 08:07:00 AM »
Two users make an identical topic, on the same board, at the same time. One is trolling, one is not. How can you tell which is which?

The answer (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 07:02:51 AM »
Oh man, so this is something my American Philosophy professor would have a field day with, because my instinct as an American is to say "It doesn't matter since the practical effect is the same", which fits in with the idea of American Pragmatism described in the late 1800s.

https://www.philosophytalk.org/blog/william-james-and-squirrel-example

If you were to engage the troll and non-troll in conversation and observe the non-troll having a different and more sensible reaction to challenges than the real troll, then I suppose the difference would matter, but if we assume their behavior is consistent in the face of replies, then it's immaterial.

However, I don't know what American Philosophy has to say about the case where the person posing that question is, themselves, trolling in a way, lol.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 07:14:41 PM »
"It doesn't matter since the practical effect is the same"

This is interesting! It comes down to intentions vs outcomes, and even how intentions and outcomes can intertwine (like a squirrel running around a tree ;P)

The intention may be to troll but the outcome may be a serious conversation. This would subvert the very practice of trolling!

https://www.philosophytalk.org/blog/william-james-and-squirrel-example

The human does go around the squirrel. They have to, since if the squirrel is always connected to the tree, and the human goes around the tree, then it doesn't matter whereabouts on the tree the squirrel is, the human will complete a full circumnavigation of the circle that the squirrel makes around the tree: