Author Topic: many words from one  (Read 11084 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
many words from one
« on: March 03, 2022, 12:17:38 AM »
found this type of puzzle in an old puzzle book; The rules are simple, though not ideal for a forum game but I'll just treat it like a discussion topic and if it catches on and someone else has a better way to format it with rules they may elaborate.

Try to make as many words as you can with the letters from the following word:

KNOWLEDGE

-you don't have to use all the letters for a word.
-you may only use the letters that appear in this word and only that many times. In other words you may use 2 E's because there are two Es in Knowledge, but not more. You can only use one K. etc.
-You may mix the letters up; they don't have to be in the order they appear in in Knowledge.
-two letter words are not accepted in this puzzle. Any other number of words is fine.
-Proper nouns are not allowed.
-Hyphenated words are fine.

I have other words for a future challenge, and of course anyone else may post challenges if they wish.

[I hope we can trust each other enough to avoid spoiling the fun and using a website to do all the work :-\ ]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: many words from one
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 06:39:01 AM »
This puzzle reminds me of one of those daily coffee break-style newspaper puzzles. Most of these usually have a 'base letter', in which words should only be built around a certain letter. Otherwise, many words can be found, like I have here. I'm only going to list the ones I know though, hidden in spoiler tags of course.

If people regard that statement above as a spoiler then I apologise. Anyway, here's my list of words.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 06:56:22 PM »
Okay, giving this a go, although I think with three-letter words allowed and no base letter, there are probably a large number to find. (Obviously, I won't look at Minim's spoiler until after I post.)

I think, for future rounds, it would be a good idea for the setter to have a go first and give us a target number of words, as is usually given in the newspaper version!

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
I have found 30 words so far, haven't looked at anyone's answers yet. I'll come back and do more later :lemcat:

(Maybe Minim, Proxima and future posters could indicate their number so it's possible to see what you're aiming for without looking at the Spoiler?)

Anyways, here goes...

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 01:46:41 AM »
i realized the book doesnt list 3 letter words so in the future ill say 4 lettter words or greater. ill wait a bit let others have a go
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 05:43:51 PM »
Time to start a new round? I'll take the lead, since I got the most words last time.

Try to form as many words as you can from the letters of PORTRAIT. Words must be 4 letters or longer, and must follow all the usual rules.

Good: 12 or more
Excellent: 16 or more
Superb: 20 or more

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 06:44:18 PM »
Hadn't seen this till now, looks fun! Here's my attempt at PORTRAIT.

:D

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 09:40:46 PM »
I didn't get that many, but decided to instead list only the ones I found that so far haven't been listed so far;

two of those I was only sort of guessing were actual words so I checked and they are in the dictionary so...

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 07:46:22 AM »
ngl this was a lot of fun to play with Boggle rules, that is, your words count iff they are unique amongst the other players. I got to 20, here's my list in the order I found them (bold words were unique from TW and mobius)

"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 10:45:00 AM »
Is this just like the letters round on the game show "countdown"?

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 11:05:51 PM »
I wanted to get that gameshow countdown, I had an audition a long time ago.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 11:58:50 PM »
Is this just like the letters round on the game show "countdown"?

It's not quite the same; in Countdown you have nine randomly chosen letters and you have to make the longest word you can (and since it's random, there won't always be a 9-letter word available). Here, you are given the longest word and have to make as many words as you can.

I like the suggestion of Boggle rules, but it's not my topic so I guess whoever is leading the round should decide what the scoring rules are (unless mobius wants to make a ruling). However, in this case as Tomato and Steve both got 20, we should use Boggle rules as a tiebreaker, so Tomato wins and gets to lead the next round :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 12:59:35 AM »
Well, if I'm leading (somehow :lem-mindblown:), I don't think Boggle rules applied across the board is a good way to do it, simply because this is a free-for-all game and not a head-to-head one. It just doesn't really work with this format, as it would likely result in very low/zero scores for all players, and I think that raw scores should be determined solely based on the number of valid words each player makes.

This unique word rule also wouldn't work for breaking ties, as it could easily lead to a "spoiler effect" where one player in the tie is utterly screwed because someone else's word list matched theirs almost exactly. And of course, only applying this rule to the two players would break absolutely zero ties. :P However, we could use a different Boggle rule to break ties like this: giving more weight to longer words. And I think the best way to do this is with standard Boggle scoring (though it could stand to be modified a bit for our purposes), since it's on a roughly exponential scale already, based on the fact that longer words are generally harder to find.

For reference:
  • 4 letters = 1 pt
  • 5 letters = 2 pts
  • 6 letters = 3 pts
  • 7 letters = 5 pts
  • 8+ letters = 11 pts

Personally, I would make 8+ letters 8 points instead. And of course, 8+ letter words will be quite uncommon in the first place. What's your input on this?

Oh, and with all that out of the way, the next word is KEROSENE. Once again, 4 letters minimum, and all usual rules apply.

Good: 10+ words
Excellent: 13+ words
Superb: 16+ words

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 01:49:57 AM »
Okay, I'll have a try at this 8-)

(19)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 04:44:23 AM by Proxima »

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 02:02:45 AM »
I'm so sorry, but I feel the need to make one clarification. The word itself doesn't count. I wouldn't care in a vacuum, but it seems that most people, including myself, took that rule as a given and didn't include the base word, and since including the base word is trivial in a puzzle like this, I think it's best to declare right now that it doesn't count. I hope that's understandable.