Off-Topic Boards > Forum Games

many words from one

(1/4) > >>

mobius:
found this type of puzzle in an old puzzle book; The rules are simple, though not ideal for a forum game but I'll just treat it like a discussion topic and if it catches on and someone else has a better way to format it with rules they may elaborate.

Try to make as many words as you can with the letters from the following word:

KNOWLEDGE

-you don't have to use all the letters for a word.
-you may only use the letters that appear in this word and only that many times. In other words you may use 2 E's because there are two Es in Knowledge, but not more. You can only use one K. etc.
-You may mix the letters up; they don't have to be in the order they appear in in Knowledge.
-two letter words are not accepted in this puzzle. Any other number of words is fine.
-Proper nouns are not allowed.
-Hyphenated words are fine.

I have other words for a future challenge, and of course anyone else may post challenges if they wish.

[I hope we can trust each other enough to avoid spoiling the fun and using a website to do all the work :-\ ]

Minim:
This puzzle reminds me of one of those daily coffee break-style newspaper puzzles. Most of these usually have a 'base letter', in which words should only be built around a certain letter. Otherwise, many words can be found, like I have here. I'm only going to list the ones I know though, hidden in spoiler tags of course.

If people regard that statement above as a spoiler then I apologise. Anyway, here's my list of words.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Glowed
Kneel
Dew
Led
One
Keen
Ode
Nod
Woken
Knee
Glee
Gone
Don
Lone
Wee
End
Eel
Deke
Keg
Geek
Owe
Ego
Glow
Week
Gel
Dong
Geo
Woke
Own
Gold
Wedge
Wok
Weed
Need
Lodge
Woe
Down
Kendo
Golden
Dog
Won
Owned
New
Owl
Gown
Know
Ewe
Gene
Leek
Old
Legend
Low
Edge
Knew
Done
Den
Long
Leg
Lend
God
Ledge
Now
Log

Proxima:
Okay, giving this a go, although I think with three-letter words allowed and no base letter, there are probably a large number to find. (Obviously, I won't look at Minim's spoiler until after I post.)

I think, for future rounds, it would be a good idea for the setter to have a go first and give us a target number of words, as is usually given in the newspaper version!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)DENE, DEW, DOG, DOGE, DOLE, DONG, DONK, DOWEL, DOWN

EDGE, EEK, EEL, EKE, ELD, END, ENG, EON, EWE

GELD, GLEE, GLEN, GLOW, GOD, GOLD, GOWN

KEEL, KEEN, KEG, KEN, KNEE, KNEEL, KNEW, KNOW, KNOWLEDGE

LED, LEDE, LEDGE, LEE, LEEK, LEG, LEGEND, LEND, LEWD, LODE, LOG, LONE, LONG, LONGED, LOW, LOWED

NEE, NEED, NEG, NEO, NEW, NOD, NOEL, NOW

OGLE, OGLED, OLD, ONE, OWE, OWED, OWL, OWN, OWNED

WEDGE, WEE, WEED, WEEK, WELD, WOG, WOKE, WON

WillLem:
I have found 30 words so far, haven't looked at anyone's answers yet. I'll come back and do more later :lemcat:

(Maybe Minim, Proxima and future posters could indicate their number so it's possible to see what you're aiming for without looking at the Spoiler?)

Anyways, here goes...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Knowledge
1-10: Know, Ledge, Wee, Now, Edge, Lee, Gee, Dee, Geode, Down
11-20: Wedge, Wok, Wed, Dew, Nod, Don, Leg, Led, Lew, Weed
21-30: Ween, Keen, Gene, Weld, Won, Eel, Ewe, Owl, Own, Lone

mobius:
i realized the book doesnt list 3 letter words so in the future ill say 4 lettter words or greater. ill wait a bit let others have a go

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version