Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Uncommanded clicking  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
[BUG][PLAYER] Uncommanded clicking
« on: February 01, 2022, 04:39:01 PM »
Hi

After using the left-click several times, the game will sometimes left-click by itself. I have to exit the game and reopen it, until this happens again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:13:18 PM by namida »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Uncommanded clicking
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 07:14:51 PM »
That's definitely a weird one...

It doesn't happen in anything else (other than NeoLemmix)? Does it happen in the menus (especially, the level select menu?) or only in-game? If you exit out of gameplay (but not completely out of NL), then start another level, does the bug continue to happen?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 09:16:29 PM »
Not used the editor.

Seems to happen if you use the left-click a lot or have to retry the level.

EDIT: it only happens in NeoLemmix.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 09:48:47 PM »
My guess is that you click in between the load time of menus. It happens to me as well.

Example: You press the right arrow key in the level preview screen --> Screen goes black and you click again --> The click is still being registered even though the next screen was not loaded yet and it immediately jumps into the level.

I guess that it could be the case that those "in-between screens" or "loading time" clicks could be the cause. Like you need to retry the level and accidentally clicked during the transition to the post-view screen --> you just jump right back in.

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 11:26:52 PM »
Now I try to use the keyboard to get into the level and past the preview screen.

The uncommanded left-clicking still happens, but always after left-clicking several times in the level (can't say how many times because it's random).

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »
Only happens when you've used left click a lot.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 01:08:36 AM »
Could you try NeoLemmix V12.12.1 and let me know if you also have the issue there?

If it still happens there, could you also see if it happens in 12.6.1? (Styles must be downloaded seperately.)

I will note - in general I do not recommend using an old version long-term, although for the most part using 12.12.1 as a temporary should be okay (as 12.12.X is still the current main version) if it fixes this issue for you. On the other hand, if only 12.6.1 fixes it, while that might give me some pointers on the issue, it's not really practical to actually use 12.6.1 these days.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 10:21:33 PM »
I tried version V12.12.1 - still having the same problem with uncommanded left-clicks.

I couldn't get 12.6.1 to run.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 04:21:05 AM »
Alright - that at least rules out the upgrade from Delphi 10.3 to Delphi 10.4 as the cause of it.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really leave me with much further ideas on what is causing it. As a complete stab in the dark - is your mouse setup unusual in any way? For example, do you use MouseKeys or some other kind of mouse emulation software rather than an actual mouse? Do you use a touchscreen or graphics tablet rather than a common pointing device (such as a regular mouse or a touchpad)? Etc

Also, are you running NeoLemmix on Windows (and if so, Windows 10 or another version), or on Linux via WINE?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 03:29:58 PM »
No special mouse setup.

Windows 10 desktop.

No problems in other apps.

The mouse (Logitech MX518) works perfectly.

Again, only happens when playing levels and left click has been used a lot (or in rapid succession).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 06:26:29 PM »
Which software does the MX518 use?

If it's the "Logitech Options" one, we can rule that out as the cause - I myself have a mouse that uses that (the M510) and have no issues. If it's one of the others, I might look into whether that software causes issues...

Also, what's the nature of the left click? Let's say for example - you're experiencing this issue, and you move the mouse over a lemming. Is it *guaranteed* that the lemming will be "clicked" right away, or is it more random, ie: he might suddenly get clicked after a while, but it won't always happen right away?

If by any chance you've used L3DEdit, do you have any similar issue in that? (It's made with the same programming language and many of the same underlying libraries, so if there's a difference, this could be useful to know. On the other hand, Loap and the NL Editor are based on completely different languages / frameworks and are not useful comparisons here, beyond the general "does it happen in all apps" which we've already confirmed it doesn't.)

As one other total stab-in-the-dark (I'm pretty much taking a "throw everything reasonable at the wall and see what sticks" approach here because I'm pretty clueless about this right now), are you using a normal (ie: Intel or AMD) CPU, or one of the newer ARM (Qualcomm / Snapdragon) based devices?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 10:15:24 PM »
I wonder if perhaps a video of the issue would help? Although I guess we wouldn't be able to see which clicks are legit and which ones aren't... though you could always put timestamps. It might make the issue easier to replicate, at least.

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 12:38:31 PM »
Intel i7 7700 on Windows 10 Home.

I could try the video option? You would see that a different item selected will be applied e.g. a lemming will dig if a builder is selected, which proves the left-clicks occur uncommanded. 

Not used L3DEdit.

Offline Dave4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 01:19:44 PM »
Hopefully the video attachment will play.

EDIT: Downloaded and tested.

As you see, when the cursor is NOT over the lemming, it left-clicked on the lemming to make it start mining. Sometimes the lemming will use a different item than what is selected.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 07:13:14 AM »
Okay, so it looks to me like there's no bug here. Instead, what you're overlooking is that NeoLemmix has a replay mode (much like Win95 Lemmings; Cheapo; Lemmings 3D; etc do). So, when you fail a level then immediately replay it (or quick-restart with the restart hotkey), it repeats your previous actions, until you interrupt it, which you can do by taking an action (such as assigning a skill, or changing the release rate - but note that simply selecting a skill won't interrupt it), or by clicking in empty space, or by pressing the "cancel replay" hotkey.

NeoLemmix being in replay mode, is indicated by the red R on the skill panel. (If the R is instead blue, you're also in replay insert mode - this means that any new actions won't cancel the replay, they'll just be added to it. Assuming you haven't reconfigured it, the hotkey to go in and out of replay insert mode is either W, if you're using the traditional hotkey layout, or O, if you're using the functional layout.

If you believe you are also having issues that are not explained by this, let me know - however the particular video you've posted is in replay mode. I'll leave this topic open until I get confirmation (or a counterexample) from you.

(In case it's of interest to you, I'll also note that NL goes far beyond just having replay mode like those others do - you can also rewind time; open a menu to delete only specific actions from the replay; save and load these replays to/from files... let me know if you want more info on any of that.)
My Lemmings projects