Author Topic: Custlemm Level List Game  (Read 9907 times)

JM2006

Custlemm Level List Game
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »
We did Custlemm level list game on the other forum. We still have the screenshots etc.

Why don't review a levelpak now?   :tongue:

tseug

Re: Custlemm Level List Game
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
How about geo's 2nd pack?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 12:44:47 AM »
How many people played that set?  I don't think I've even looked at any of the levels in LemEdit yet, much less play them.

STT

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 01:03:51 AM »
Mine wasn't finished wasn't it? I was waiting to see a review on level 2 and it never happend.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »
Snapper seems to be right. Well then:

twigpak2 - Level 2: Chinese Swap
Save 2/2
RR: 1
Time: 1 minute
Skills: 2 bombers, 1 blocker, 3 builders
Good: Well, the design is not bad IMO; and it's at least not 'long and boring'. ;)
Bad: Far too simple, even for that position, given that the blocker and bomber can't be used you have only three builders left -> 3 times building over a trap.

Maybe we could do my second one next in case played enough and appreciated, or maybe tseug's (although, the release is not official yet, is it?).

tseug

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:07:49 PM »
No, I was waiting for you to solve the new level. (or not, depending on how hard you think it is :winktounge:)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 01:43:49 PM »
Hmm, I think I found a backroute (see mail). Just a question, does your solution require much precision or lots of exact timing?

tseug

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »
*BUMP*

twigpak2 - Level 3: Demolition or Construction?!
Save 60/80
RR: 50
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 20 bombers, 1 blocker, 19 builders
Good: The difficulty is good for a third level. It's very well designed. It isn't long like most of the levels in this pack.
Bad: The save target could have been pushed up a bit.

Jazzem

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 02:30:38 PM »
Where can I download the pak? I'd like to give level 3 a go myself.

tseug

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 11:16:33 PM »
It seems it wasn't in the portal... so I uploaded it.
Link:
twigpak2

tseug

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 07:22:23 PM »
Let's just get this pack over with...

twigpak2 - Level 4: Remage Wall
Save: 24/42
RR: 60
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 42 builders, 24 of everything else
Good: It's a little harder than the previous level. Scenery is nice.
Bad: Not much of a puzzle, just long.

tseug

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 11:07:55 PM »
Here's a short summary of the rest of the pack:
Levels 5-8: Long and annoying (not counting backroutes). They are all fairly straight foreward.

twigpak2 - Level 9: And Now For Something Impossibe
Save: 80/80
Skills: 1 bomber, 3 builders, 1 basher,  1 miner
Good: It's short! It has a good puzzle, the solution is well hidden.
Bad: Why the bomber?

Level 2 and 4-8 are the kinds of things you should try to avoid. If you make a long level at least make it not so straight foreward. And don't make levels with a blatantly obvious solution like level 2, those are no fun.

Now we can move on... I think we should do geo's or mine.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 02:29:52 AM »

I'm surprised you of all people are saying this! :P

Actually here's my personal opinion on when you should give unusable bombers: If for example you have something like X of every skill needed (or provided) except the bomber, on a 100% level, include the bombers for consistency. Or even if most skills are provided, don't necessarily exclude the bomber. I think it also depends on what skills are available. If you have climbers, floaters, blockers, and builders... then put in the bombers so you get a continuous chain. If you have miners and diggers only, it's silly to include the unusable bombers. If it looks bad without the bombers, include the bombers (since you know it doesn't matter). If it looks bad WITH the bombers, then don't include them (since you know it doesn't matter). Purely aesthetic, but this is partly based on how bombers are provided in original Lemmings/ONML, and it's a simple guideline to follow...

Hmm, tseug's or geoo's... well tseug, you are around, and your pack should be in more recent memory; then again you probably got a ton of feedback on your pack already. It doesn't matter too much for me, I don't really have much time to spend playing levels and reviewing at the moment, but I will host the screenshots for whatever pack is decided on.

tseug

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 05:02:24 AM »
In this particular level I think it looks fine either way, so there isn't much point in having it. I couldn't really think of anything bad to say...

Which pack do people think is easier?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 12:32:22 PM »
Yeah, level 9 is a very nice one, and completely different compared to the onther ones of the set.
And like Shvegait, I was very surprised seeing tseug writing a something like this for bad.
One bad point might be that it is difficult to review due to the difficulty of coming up with somehing bad...

Anyways, hmmm, I solved 9 of tseug's and 10 of my levels...erm, very subjective view. S'pose we need a somewhat more objective view. Did ccexplore btw solve all of your (tseug's) levels by now?

tseug

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 05:38:01 PM »
Anyways, hmmm, I solved 9 of tseug's and 10 of my levels...erm, very subjective view. S'pose we need a somewhat more objective view. Did ccexplore btw solve all of your (tseug's) levels by now?

I don't think so, but he said he hasn't even looked at yours yet. I've solved around half of yours, and I know how to do most of the others.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 08:36:43 PM »
Any chance to see some of your solutions for my levels? That is, for the not too obvious ones maybe?

tseug

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
OK. I'll work on them and make replays for the ones I solve.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 11:01:22 PM »
Did ccexplore btw solve all of your (tseug's) levels by now?

I no longer have the time for over a week or so.  If you peek over at the Chip's Challenge newsgroup you might see that they're doing something called "CCLP3", and it so happens that I'm involved with some of the behind-the-scene stuff.  I haven't touched Lemmings-related stuff for a bit; in fact even my e-mail responses to Eric's LemmixPlayer was delayed by the same reason.

Once the CCLP3 stuff dies down I'll resume with Lemmings stuff again.  Incidentally, geoo89, which level of tseug's is the one you haven't solved yet?

tseug

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 11:07:01 PM »
Incidentally, geoo89, which level of tseug's is the one you haven't solved yet?

Level 6 :winktounge:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »
Just wondering, does Level 6 require pausing at the very beginning to gain a few extra time to solve, i.e. is not solvable within Lemmix?
Either way, I suppose extensive RR changing is required, I think my best with it was being roughly 4 or 5 seconds short.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 08:32:36 PM »
Just wondering, does Level 6 require pausing at the very beginning to gain a few extra time to solve
<snip>
my best with it was being roughly 4 or 5 seconds short.

Note that you can gain at most only like 2.1 game-seconds from using the pause trick.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 08:36:04 PM »
I know it's not much, but my solution attempt could possibly be a little optimized to spare a very little extra time still. It would just be a lot of figuring around with the RR.

tseug

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 11:11:04 PM »
What is your solution? When I do the level I end up with more than 2 seconds left, so you shouldn't need to pause at the start.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 05:32:05 PM »
Well, then I most likely have to think of something different. I'll send you the main idea of my attempt via mail.

Jazzem

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 09:20:46 PM »
Umm, so what pak are we doing?

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 01:48:55 AM »
Are we done with the last one?

As soon as I figureut how to upload and download paks from Timballisto I'll probably have one to add to the stack.

Note: you might have time to evaluate a couple more before this happens, so if you were going to wait for mine to be done, it's suggested that you don't.

And I think tseugs pak is being evaluated.

STT

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 04:51:09 AM »
Here's a short summary of the rest of the pack:
Levels 5-8: Long and annoying (not counting backroutes). They are all fairly straight foreward.

twigpak2 - Level 9: And Now For Something Impossibe
Save: 80/80
Skills: 1 bomber, 3 builders, 1 basher,  1 miner
Good: It's short! It has a good puzzle, the solution is well hidden.

Level 2 and 4-8 are the kinds of things you should try to avoid. If you make a long level at least make it not so straight foreward. And don't make levels with a blatantly obvious solution like level 2, those are no fun.

Now we can move on... I think we should do geo's or mine.

Sorry about the gap in replies... I've just been watching the remake topic and forgot about this one.

Whats the solution? I made this level to be impossible (or slightly possible).

Personally, my favourite is "The Don't Trip Split Splat". It's long, but I wouldn't call it annoying. It wasn't ment to be a very hard pack, just a bunch of fillers for the remake.

tseug

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 05:16:43 AM »
Whats the solution? I made this level to be impossible (or slightly possible).

I can usually solve impossible levels. :winktounge: It really isn"t all that hard...

STT

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »
Meh. I modified it to be possible for the "offical" solution by making the platform 2 pixels deeper.

The offical solution is as follows (highlight):

Make the first lemming a miner + bomber. The second one (obvioulsy) builds towards the exit. The first one should blow up at exactly the right moment as to activate the one pixel bomber glitch (he falls through the 1 pixel gap and drowns). Now crank the Release Rate and buildover the pit. Cut the RR just before the last lemming leaves the trapdoor. Armagedon so that the last lemming counts as 2 when it exits. The basher is to delay him if nesc.

tseug

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »
That only saves 98%, and it uses glitches. My solution is glitch-free and it still works.

EDIT: It's not possible to make a lem count as two like that, it just plays the animation twice.

STT

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:12 AM »
I've done it before and saved 103%. (not on that level though.)

The idea is that you use glitches to pass it (hence, an impossible level).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 02:16:35 AM »
I've done it before and saved 103%. (not on that level though.)

I'm afraid we can't believe you on this.̆ Unless you have a hacked version of the game, we know from the DOS games' disassembly (the program's code) that the lemming is never counted twice when exiting in the manner you describe--it doesn't work because the game doesn't update the number of lemmings saved until the lemming fully disappears from the level as it exits, and as soon as that happens it won't be affected by nuking or anything else.

It might work in other platforms (Mac, Amiga, WinLemm, etc.) since I haven't checked those, but CustLemm obviously runs on DOS and is based off of the DOS game.

STT

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 05:57:47 AM »
Odd. Hmm, I distinctly remember getting 101% (sorry, not 103%) in Fun 7 when I hit amargetton. I dunno, I guese I should lay off the dope.

tseug

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 03:31:20 PM »
If you want I can send you a replay of my solution.

STT

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 12:19:32 AM »
Yes please. I've been in agony!

tseug

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »
I need your email before I can send it to you.

EDIT: Sent.