Author Topic: [INDEX] Official Lemmings resources  (Read 3899 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[INDEX] Official Lemmings resources
« on: January 13, 2022, 03:18:58 PM »
This post is a WIP, links will be added soon.

This post is an index of all the official Lemmings resources (i.e. graphics, music, sound) that we have available. This includes all games, and for as many platforms as possible.

Lemmings

Amiga | Graphics - Music
DOS | Graphics - Music
Mac | Graphics
Windows '95 | Graphics - Music

Oh No! More Lemmings

Amiga | Graphics - Music
DOS | Graphics - Music
Mac | Graphics
Windows '95 | Graphics - Music
Acorn | Music

Lemmings 2: The Tribes

TBA

Lemmings 3: All New World of Lemmings

TBA

Lemmings Revolution

PC - Full game

Lemmings Tribes (2008)

Unknown Platform - All resources
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 09:27:11 PM by WillLem »

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
Re: Mac graphics, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:11:37 PM »
I have some, but I think I got them from this very forum.

Edit: I finally remember where I got them, from this post: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1567.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:16:42 PM by LanaAndCo »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 03:13:19 PM »
I'm converting the Mac tiles to make them readable by NeoLemmix. (Again, I want to stress that this is independent of whether the Mac tiles become "officially" adopted; even if no-one else wants them, I would want to do this for my own installation of NL.) If it's okay with WillLem, I'll use this space to note any issues that arise during the conversions for which it might be helpful to have community input.

I'm doing the pillar style first, as I felt that its mostly straight edges should make it relatively simple. However, these two blocks are a problem:

These correspond to "block_07" and "block_08" (not necessarily in that order). However, both are 84 x 40; block_07 is 42 x 20 (exactly half the size), while block_08 is 40x20. So, in order to make them correspond, whichever one I choose to be block_08 will have to have 4 pixels knocked off somehow. Trimming them off the edge certainly doesn't seem right, as the blocks have clearly shadowed edges. I could just clip a bit from the middle, but maybe someone with a bit more graphics skill than me would like to have a go at doing it more elegantly?

Also, we could trim one block as necessary and still have the full block as a separate tile (which would require creating a new low-res counterpart). Does anyone feel that would be worth doing?

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 03:47:59 PM »
I removed 4 vertical strips of pixels from each, scattered throughout the width of the block, making sure not to disrupt any defining features. How do these look?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:57:25 PM by The Tomato Watcher »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 04:01:37 PM »
They look great! For now I will use block_07_trimmed for the smaller block (08) and vice versa, but we can always switch them if that's what people prefer.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 05:14:07 PM »
Also, we could trim one block as necessary and still have the full block as a separate tile (which would require creating a new low-res counterpart). Does anyone feel that would be worth doing?

Potentially it could be confusing to have both, but for the record, the odd almost-grid of the original tiles was a major factor in why I bothered to create a NL version of L2 Classic. These blocks certainly were some of the major offenders.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [INDEX] Official Lemmings resources
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:45:55 PM »
I've edited the OP to be an index to all of the resources that we have. The plan is to either attach the resources listed to replies in this topic and then link to them from the OP, or link to any existing posts which already contain the resources.

Watch this space. I'm too tired to do it now, but I will get around to compiling the links soon.

EDIT: On second thoughts, unless anyone objects I'll attach all resources as replies in this topic and then have the index link directly to the downloads.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:53:21 PM by WillLem »

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 11:33:22 PM »
Well, I've got a whole game's worth of resources to add. :D

Here all the graphics, sounds, and MIDIs for Lemmings Tribes (2008)!

The original files were listed as seemingly random hexadecimal numbers with no extensions, so it took some trial and error to figure out which file was which. Beyond that, many of the image files were almost... glued together in these much larger files, not unlike SBLAST.VOC in L2, so I had to extract the bytes for each individual one with a hex editor. Aside from that, the files are untouched.

Oh, right, these are from the version of the game for phones with 240x320 displays, but we're likely not missing much except for chunkier versions of the graphics posted here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:48:57 PM by The Tomato Watcher »

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 07:40:48 PM »
What do you mean with 'Official Lemmings resources'? Upon clicking the topic, I was assuming it meant guides, manuals et cetera, that were distributed with authorisation from Psygnosis or Sony (or whomever else has held the rights to Lemmings).
However, on reading the posts, it looks like you mean graphics and music from the games? What does 'official' indicate, then?

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 07:46:49 PM »
What do you mean with 'Official Lemmings resources'?

Graphics (such as sprite sets, tiles, menu items, etc), music, sounds and level maps from the official games.

I do plan on getting this topic updated with links at some point, I've just been very busy recently.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 05:11:54 PM »
There are a bunch of Lemmings rips on Zophar's Domain. These rips aren't always quite correct, however. The most common issues are stereo soundtracks ripped in mono, and clipping. They should be checked against real hardware, perhaps.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 09:26:11 PM »
Well, I've got a whole game's worth of resources to add. :D

Here all the graphics, sounds, and MIDIs for Lemmings Tribes (2008)!

Happy to add this to the OP, but... what platform is this game for? I haven't heard of this one before!

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 05:40:07 AM »
Happy to add this to the OP, but... what platform is this game for? I haven't heard of this one before!

It's for those old J2ME mobile phones :P There was a small series of Lemmings games released for mobile devices in the mid-2000s, finding information about which is difficult and frustrating. Seems they've been largely forgotten, though I guess we should be lucky the games have been saved for all this time and can still be downloaded from... certain websites, rather than being permanently lost to time like some other old mobile games.

Lemmings Tribes (which is a very dumb name for obvious reasons) was the last of these, and it featured the Classic, Medieval, and Space lemmings, and honestly had a few somewhat interesting ideas, even if the game as a whole isn't super great. It's the only one that features completely unique terrain graphics that are in any way suited for creating Lemmings levels (the rest either are spin-offs that don't really have traditional terrain in the first place or just reuse L1 assets). :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:01:29 AM by The Tomato Watcher »