Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Any changes / additions needed in replay format?  (Read 2866 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC][PLAYER] Any changes / additions needed in replay format?
« on: December 16, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »
This is the LAST CALL for any changes or additions to the replay format. The format of replay (NXRP) files will be considered 100% finalized, no exceptions, as of 12.13.0-stable.

I don't think there's anything, but just in case. 12.13.0 will bring some more advanced replay tools, and - on top of that the goal now is to wrap everything up anyway - I do not want to be making any further changes to the replay format once these tools exist.

Therefore, I'm putting out a last call for if there is anything that people think needs to be changed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] Any changes / additions needed in replay format?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 01:26:20 PM »
What kind of changes?

The only thing I can think of to suggest is that it would be great if clicking a .nxrp would open NeoLemmix, load the level, and play the replay. Beyond that, the replay format seems pretty solid.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
What kind of changes?

The only thing I can think of to suggest is that it would be great if clicking a .nxrp would open NeoLemmix, load the level, and play the replay. Beyond that, the replay format seems pretty solid.

That's probably not going to happen, though at any rate is not a detail of the replay file format, but of how NeoLemmix handles NXRP files being Open With'd with it; so this topic has no bearing on it either way.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 01:19:58 AM »
What kind of changes?

That's ... not a detail of the replay file format, but of how NeoLemmix handles NXRP files being Open With'd with it; so this topic has no bearing on it either way.

Fair enough. What kind of suggestions are you looking for, in that case?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 09:50:20 PM »
What kind of changes?

That's ... not a detail of the replay file format, but of how NeoLemmix handles NXRP files being Open With'd with it; so this topic has no bearing on it either way.

Fair enough. What kind of suggestions are you looking for, in that case?

More whether anything about the file format itself - ie: how actions are stored in it, or what other data is stored in it - needs to change.

And since there's been no responses, I think it's safe to assume there's nothing here. So at this point - unless this version itself needs any changes to accomodate the new replay management features, I will at this point consider the replay format to be finalized. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 12:15:26 AM »
Okay, so we had one last-minute idea come up on Discord - saving the frame on which the replay is expected to complete.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 11:54:13 PM »
Commit 6b1bca2 implements this.

Mass replay check will make use of this too. Currently, a replay check will give up and return "undetermined" if 5 in-game minutes have passed since the last action and the save requirement is not yet met. It will now only do this if it's also been at least 5 in-game minutes since the expected completion time, if one is set in the replay file.
My Lemmings projects