Author Topic: [P-BUG][PLAYER] Platformer-teleporter inconsistency re: if other lemmings follow  (Read 8203 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
what happens if part of the last brick, perhaps including the part actually at the receive point, was already solid terrain rather than being affected by the brick - should this be accounted for, and the brick not warped accordingly?

I'm not sure what you mean here, tbh (maybe that's why I'm not quite understanding the physics issues :forehead:). Can you give an example/picture please? I'd like to try and understand this one from both sides (no pun intended) ;P

what if the lemming is placing their first brick - should an extra brick that didn't previously exist be created below them, or should we accept this as being an edge case where the others can't follow?

From what I imagine, no extra bricks need to be created at all. The "brick being teleported" thing assumes that the brick has been placed, exists, and the Builder lem is standing upon it. The brick is then transported (or rather, cloned) along with the lem to allow others to walk out onto it.

I get that there may be important reasons why this can't or shouldn't happen, but the scenario created by a non-fix (i.e. no follow) is potentially more confusing and messy that just accepting the special case and fixing it.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Commit e33cf51 has implemented a partial carry-over behavior; specifically, only pixels in line with / in front of the lemming are carried over for the builder, and only the pixel immediately under the lemming is carried over for the platformer. I think this achieves a good end result, but you can test it when I release the next new-objects experimental (as it will include this patch).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Has anyone checked out this behavior in the new-objects experimentals? Thoughts?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Has anyone checked out this behavior in the new-objects experimentals? Thoughts?

Totally missed this. Still need to check. Will comment when I am done.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
During a replay check for my levels that use teleporters I found no issues so far but another thing: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6133.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile

I made this quick test level today. From what I can see, the portals all behave exactly as you'd expect; if a lem follows a Builder or Platformer through the teleporter, they are able to walk across the bridge pieces set by the worker. Conversely, if a lemming falls into a teleporter to the incompleted side of the bridge piece, they continue to fall when they come out the other side.

I've created some replays which demonstrate this.

I would say you've nailed it tbh :thumbsup:

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Okay, so, I'd say we can close this one at this point - looks like all is well. (Of course, if any bugs are found later, report them!)
My Lemmings projects