Author Topic: Lemmings 2 Data Formats  (Read 15967 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2 Data Formats
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2022, 12:22:14 AM »
first of all; awesome work :thumbsup: It's great to see somebody taking an interest in this after such a long time.

I'm not putting this in the "suggestions" thread because I haven't read through everything so I don't really know what you're plans are.
Just felt like saying that one of the major drawbacks to L2 imo has always been the very rigid game structure; that is; every level must have 60 lems and save them all (or as many as you can) etc. I'd be much more inclined to play the game if it was more like L1 in that reguard; giving more freedom to the level designer. Some puzzles only work with a smaller number of lemmings. And not have the number of lemmings in one level effect another level obviously.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline RavenNine

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2 Data Formats
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2022, 01:27:20 AM »
Thanks. I noticed a lack of modern Lemmings 2 clones, so figured I'd fill the void :) Well, actually it was a flip between doing Lemmings 2 or Cannon Fodder. I wanted a retro game project get stuck into, and those two games were some of my favourites growing up.

Having the ability for custom levels to use varying Lemmings counts and remove the save them all per tribe to continue restriction is not a bad idea. Certainly for custom levels. Maybe have it so level packs can run in either Story mode, or Freeplay mode. Story using the 'save the tribe' format. And Freeplay allowing per level Lemming counts with no carry over between levels. Probably need some more thought, but I'm open to the idea.