Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Please re-instate "all zombies killed" talisman  (Read 4982 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] Please re-instate "all zombies killed" talisman
« on: November 25, 2021, 05:42:58 PM »
The decision to reject this idea seems to have been made at least in part because nobody replied to this message, despite strong support for the idea generally.

Two things come to mind here:

1. I personally think that it wasn't made clear in namida's message that he was expecting replies from people; the idea had already been implemented, it seemed to be more of an airing of an issue that had come up, and he suggested some ideas himself. So, it's reasonable to assume that people either weren't aware that they were supposed to reply with ideas in order to keep the suggestion afloat, or that they were unaware that not doing so may result in its rejection.

2. More generally: can people who support ideas please be more forthcoming on the forums. I often find myself fighting a one-man battle when ideas are being discussed, and it can be exhausting. It's especially frustrating when I know I'm not the only one who supports an idea, but I am the only one who's voicing support and suggesting things once the discussion starts. It seems that only people who dislike or oppose an idea speak the loudest, whilst those who support an idea tend to stay quiet (I'm aware this isn't always the case, although it does seem to be the norm).

Anyways, I'd really like to see this particular idea get re-instated, with a more clear message that the people who support it need to speak up and get involved in the discussion. This one is definitely a good idea worth pursuing: there needs to be more non-skill-related talismans, and since zombies are a big part of NeoLemmix's unique identity, it makes sense to have a talisman covering them. It may also encourage more people to make levels with zombies, knowing that these levels will have some re-play value.

Now that we know namida was expecting replies and suggestions pending the idea's rejection, if the idea does get re-instated then hopefully we'll get a few replies from those who may have some thoughts on the issue raised in his post.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 09:36:36 PM by WillLem »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
I didn't expect the sudden close. Given the history in its topic, I expected namida to ask for input 1-2 more times whether (talismans for killing all zombies) is worth it before closing for lack of interest.

Reason: Half-done ideas get buried frequently on the forums. Other people way well assume that the feature is in the oven and won't prod unnecessarily. It's normal to have only a few posts even in an important issue.

I'm neutral on the feature itself (talisman for killing all zombies).

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
The decision was not made only because of a lack of interest. It's a combination of that there are many problems, plus that solving those problems would require significant overhauls to other things at least with the solutions that came to mind for me, plus the lack of further interest. Given the goal to wrap NL up, and that I'm finding myself spending less and less time on NL in general lately, this all adds up to - it's best to let that one go.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
The decision was not made only because of a lack of interest. It's a combination of that there are many problems

Fair enough. This one was particularly disappointing though, up there with Grenaders :'(

By all means close this topic, unless you feel that there is room for more general discussion.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
The decision was not made only because of a lack of interest. It's a combination of that there are many problems, plus that solving those problems would require significant overhauls to other things at least with the solutions that came to mind for me

So I finally got round to having a look at this. Is the problem just that it might feel awkward if the level automatically terminates when the last lemming is saved, if there is still a zombie around that would die if play continued? I honestly don't see why that's an issue or requires overhauling anything. The talisman specifies kill all zombies, you didn't succeed, you don't get it awarded, your actions are still in replay memory so you can adjust them as necessary. ???

I don't have strong feelings about this because I never use zombies, but it does feel a bit off that the feature got axed for what doesn't seem like a good reason.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
By all means close this topic, unless you feel that there is room for more general discussion.

This board doesn't have the strict rules around how topics work that the Bugs & Suggestion does. I have no issue with it remaining open, though it's not likely I'm going to contribute much further to it myself.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
We now have this feature in SuperLemmix, where the main problems outlined in the previous topic (don't exit play when zombies remain, don't pass the talisman if nuke is used) have been resolved.

Happy for this topic to be closed if no further discussion is necessary.