Author Topic: Unused PSP/PS2/PSM Lemmings level(?)  (Read 104 times)

Unused PSP/PS2/PSM Lemmings level(?)
« on: November 18, 2021, 03:19:34 AM »
Hey, all. For whatever reason, I've found myself exploring the files of the PSP version of Lemmings, and, by extension, the PS2 and PSM versions as well. I've been looking mainly at the PSM version simply because it's the easiest to mess with. In the levels folder I found a level file that is inaccessible in-game, grouped with the other levels in the Special rank.

The terrain for levels are saved as PNGs, except the dimensions data is stored separately, so changing the extension to PNG and opening it in an image viewer will give you a far too small image that cuts out most of the level. Then I found a big text file that references every level accessible in the game and, unfortunately in this case, stores the vast majority of the levels' data, such as trap placement, steel areas, number of lemmings, amount of each skill, etc. I noticed a very large gap between the Special rank levels and the Tricky levels, which are the next in filename alphabetical order, almost certainly where the data for this level once was, but now no longer exists.

After some trial and error, I was able to load the level by renaming its files the same name as those for Special 1. I also adjusted the skill counts and whatnot so I could actually do stuff. Some other things controlled by this file include hatch and exit positions and camera range. I'll link to a video I made of this level, and the settings you see there are only the way they are because I thought they'd be a good place to start. There very likely would have been traps or water, a much stricter skillset, and more sensical hatch and exit locations.

https://youtu.be/PS2QYvI2-2M

inb4 this has been known for years and I'm just dumb