Author Topic: Level Design Contest #24 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 17061 times)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #24 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 12:40:15 PM »
Solved kaywhyn's "Shimmier Lab Rules" V2. This one looks more intended but it also could still be a backroute...

100% intended! Nice job! :thumbsup: Thanks for resolving and letting me know if my R1 is now properly patched up :) Also, thank you for the compliments on the V1 of this level. What do you think now, still a fine level? I think this is a first for me in a contest in that I have a level backroute proof after only two versions :laugh: Of course, there's a possibility that it still can be backrouted, but I don't think it's likely here anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 12:52:35 PM »
Solved kaywhyn's "Shimmier Lab Rules" V2. This one looks more intended but it also could still be a backroute...

100% intended! Nice job! :thumbsup: Thanks for resolving and letting me know if my R1 is now properly patched up :) Also, thank you for the compliments on the V1 of this level. What do you think now, still a fine level? I think this is a first for me in a contest in that I have a level backroute proof after only two versions :laugh: Of course, there's a possibility that it still can be backrouted, but I don't think it's likely here anymore.

It's still a great one. Great work!! :thumbsup:

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »
solved rule3 levels 8-)

Alluring Shimmer (click to show/hide)
EMERGENCY EVACUATION (click to show/hide)
What Goes Up... (click to show/hide)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 04:35:03 PM »
and resolved updated levels(+new levels)

Starstruck (click to show/hide)
Shimmier Lab Rules (click to show/hide)
Save Ne Once More (click to show/hide)
Aerial Antics (click to show/hide)
So Near Yet So Far (click to show/hide)

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »
@Armani Oof, that's a backroute. I think this can be resolved with some skill changes. I'll upload shortly.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »

You... clever person! But it was easy to fix. ;)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 06:03:41 PM »
@Armani I suppose I did, but I messed up in the worst possible way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »
@Armani

This is now intended for my R1! :thumbsup: Great job! :thumbsup:

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »
@armani

Not quite intended for my Rule 2 level even though you used all the skills, so I

1) added terrain
2) added traps
3) added buttons
4) added steel

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 08:34:11 PM »
I think it’s a good reminder to paste this from the update topic:
Please follow these rules for updates:
1. When posting a new updated version of a level, remove any old updated versions of that level --> Have all your recent updates stored in 1 post! I will delete such old posts eventually if the author doesn't; so don't store any important information in them.
2. Make a new post for a new update; do not edit your most recent post. You may, however, post updates to multiple entries (if you have more than one) in the same post.

As already I didn’t expect and am seeing quite a mess, please remember to only make one post and to delete older posts and not have multiple posts. Otherwise it will get quite messy and chaotic finding the most recent versions of your levels, as they can easily get lost in the mix this way! Icho will eventually delete such posts, but please take the time and responsibility to delete your own posts yourself by observing 1 and 2 quoted above ( though one user has already corrected this, so thank you for that :))

@armani I will address your solutions to my R2 and R3 later  on, as I’m not at a computer atm.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 04:55:42 AM »
@Armani Ok, I finally got a chance to look at your solutions to all three of my contest entries, and here is my feedback:

R1 - 100% intended! :thumbsup: I'm glad you also liked this level, and honestly I kind of feel proud of this one too, probably slightly a bit more than my Bubble Trouble R1 level from LDC #22, if only because it needed more patches than this one :laugh: Even then, it was apparently a very well-received level for my very first attempt at level making, although to be fair it might had simply been due to the grouping my level was in. It was the second most popular R1 level, after rtw's "Warmth," falling short by just 1 vote in the rule voteoff :laugh:

Thanks for the compliments on my visual design! :thumbsup: Honestly, I'm still terrible at art, and I don't think it's that good at all in this level, but you thinking otherwise and reading this from you here really made my day :) So, I guess I am in a way getting better with the visuals, but it can still use more work, as there's definitely room for improvement.

R2 - This is a bad backroute. I've uploaded a V3 that added steel, added a vine trap, and made the cloners pickups. I don't know if this will be enough to enforce the intended solution yet, but it should hopefully at least eliminate the big ones. Not to mention that my head was kind of hurting a lot thinking about if there's still the possibility of the level being backrouted, but well, I shall see when I get more solutions to this level from this community :laugh: I do have some other fixes in mind in case it does get backrouted again, but I'll wait for some solutions first. I have to suspect that my R2 will be the hardest one to both force the intended solution, as well as the hardest to find :P

edit: reuploaded V3, as I ended up shifting around some pickups some more.

R3 - The title here is a reference to Insane Steve's level "The Annoying 1-Pixel Gap," because if you were provided even 1 builder it would already be a solve. Therefore, it's a no builders level. However, I went much further than that here with one of my own no builders level. This would also be the very first such level from me :P And yes, you are correct that I'm a huge fan of these levels.

As you might had guessed, this level is open-ended, which would make this the very first level of mine in which I don't have any specific intended solution in mind. So, I will accept nearly any solution to this level. However,

So, for V2 I shifted and added some terrain. The replay solution I have needed some minor tweaks to work again, but while doing so, I was thinking of maybe reducing the skillset, as it seems that I was able to save a lot of skills. However, I will leave the skillset alone for the time being, as I will change it if I am getting a lot of solutions that are saving too many skills, meaning there's a bit too much degrees of freedom.

Thanks again for playing my levels and the replays, as well as the compliments on my R1! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:24:07 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 04:09:46 PM »
more replays. 8-)
Save Me Once More (click to show/hide)
EMERGENCY EVACUATION (click to show/hide)

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »
@Armani

There was a minisule thing you did different but your solution now is perfectly acceptable.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »

First replay: clever backroutes again! I fixed this in V5.
Second replay: 100% intended. :)

Regarding your R3 level Armani: I just love the way you made this a "two intended solutions"-level. Creativity at its finest. :thumbsup:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 09:48:38 PM »
@Armani Still a backroute! I've amended my post in the other thread.