Author Topic: [SUG][EDITOR] Keyboard shortcut to locate the originating style  (Read 3661 times)

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
[SUG][EDITOR] Keyboard shortcut to locate the originating style
« on: September 29, 2021, 06:17:31 PM »
Suppose a terrain piece or object is selected in the editor. Pressing a certain combination of keys (possibly Ctrl+F?) would change the currently selected style to the one that originally specified that item. This would not change the theming of the level.

If multiple items are selected, and more than one style is represented in that selection, then the action simply does nothing.

This will help users who are creating levels using mixed styles, particularly if those styles are not adjacent in the ordering. This would also help users to locate tilesets that they might want to work with in the future.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
Re: [SUG][EDITOR] Keyboard shortcut to locate the originating style
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 10:58:23 PM »
so if you like a piece is someone elses level and fancy using it you can load it in the editor and find out what style it comes from? if thats what it means then I'm on board

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 11:48:04 PM »
+1

Great idea, this :thumbsup:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:34:48 PM »
Warmly recommended, yes.

I built this feature in Lix 1-2 years ago, and it's a solid broccoli feature: Hard to think of it at first, but you grow fond of it.

When you open the tile picker, if you have a tile in the level selected, the picker will start with your tile's directory, it will scroll the selection to centor on your tile, and even highlight the tile in the list. It's quick to pick similar tiles.

In Lix, I rarely switch tile directories any more with the normal directory navigation. I only do that to place a tile from a new directory for the first time in a level. It's far nicer to select a tile from the desired directory in the level first and hit the picker hotkey. It feels like I'm asking the editor: I have this tile here, I want to build more similar things, please inspire me with similar tiles.

NL's tile picker is always open, so it makes sense to introduce an extra key/click/action to trigger the feature. In theory, you could always scroll the picker to whatever tile you select in the level, but I have a weak hunch that this will be distracting. Hard to tell.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:42:59 PM by Simon »

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 08:55:30 PM »
Another idea to make styles more convenient to switch between is that if a terrain piece or object is featured in a level, the style it comes from is bumped to the top of the list in the picker.

Anyway, I approve of this idea! :thumbsup: