Author Topic: [SUG][EDITOR] Increase Character Limit For Talisman Names  (Read 3925 times)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[SUG][EDITOR] Increase Character Limit For Talisman Names
« on: October 30, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
Just like the title says, perhaps the character limit for talisman names can be increased. Not a major problem or anything, but in Armani's Lemmings Uncharted pack, he wanted to name a talisman "Don't try this at home if you are not kaywhyn." Armani said that he used the default Windows text program for this which allowed him to put this name for the talisman. However, in the NL player, when clicking on the talisman icon it simply says "Don't try this at home if you are not" and hence it leaves my username out. I checked this out in the NL editor, and turns out it's due to hitting the current character limit for talisman names. Indeed, that's what the name of the talisman shows as in the text box in the editor and therefore the same thing is displayed in the NL player. When you type the talisman name, it doesn't allow you to type my username due to hitting the character limit at the word "not." So, for the time being, I suggested to Armani to simply name it "Don't try this if you are not kaywhyn," and all of it does fit and displays correctly in the NL player. However, I'm in agreement that what Armani originally wanted for the talisman name is better than my suggested one.

If this does get approved, what should the new character limit be?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Re: [SUG][EDITOR] Increase Character Limit For Talisman Names
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 03:20:36 PM »
What is the current limit? and can't it just be as much as the screen can take up?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 03:51:45 PM »
38 characters. I wonder if this is a remnant from when talismans were shown on the preview screen?

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 11:36:01 PM »
Out of interest, were you able to solve the Talisman, kaywhyn? :P

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 12:04:03 AM »
What is the current limit? and can't it just be as much as the screen can take up?

Ideally yes, but as it's currently in a small pop-up window, technically the character limit is limited by that :P

Out of interest, were you able to solve the Talisman, kaywhyn? :P

Armani named the talisman in tribute to my solution I found to one of his levels from his Uncharted pack, so of course! :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 01:14:05 AM »
Armani named the talisman in tribute to my solution I found to one of his levels from his Uncharted pack, so of course! :P

:thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 06:49:25 PM »
I hadn't categorized this yet (as player vs editor) because I wanted to check if the player actually enforces the limit in any way still (in which case it would technically fall under "no new suggestions") or if it's purely an editor thing.

I can confirm that the player does not apply any restriction, it's just an editor-side thing, so I will be able to lift this restriction in a future editor update (and will likely do so).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)