Poll

What are your favourite Lemmings 2: The Tribes tilesets?

Beach
2 (3.6%)
Outdoor
4 (7.3%)
Egyptian
11 (20%)
Medieval
5 (9.1%)
Classic (Pillar)
3 (5.5%)
Circus
5 (9.1%)
Highland
3 (5.5%)
Polar
2 (3.6%)
Space
5 (9.1%)
Cavelem
3 (5.5%)
Shadow
4 (7.3%)
Sports
8 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: [POLL] Your Favourite Lemmings 2: The Tribes tilesets?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
[POLL] Your Favourite Lemmings 2: The Tribes tilesets?
« on: September 23, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
These tileset polls seem pretty popular so I decided to make one for Lemmings 2: The Tribes.

What are your favourite tilesets in Lemmings 2: The Tribes? I've decided to allow people to choose 3 because there are more options to vote for.

I would say mine are probably Medieval, Egyptian and Space. Although I do like all of them pretty well.

Feel free to share your thoughts and reasons below.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: [POLL] Your Favourite Lemmings 2: The Tribes tilesets?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:03:33 PM »
Never thought about this, but I am very fond of Egyptian sprites. However, it's not my favourite tribe (hey, here is an idea for another poll!). In second place I would say Medieval, which is very rich in middle age details, and very colourful. And in third place, the sprites for Circus, which is my favourite tribe (and also the easiest by far, but that has nothing to do with my choice).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »
I'm basing my votes in the poll off two factors:
    1 - Does it look good?
    2 - Is it easy to work with in NeoLemmix?

As such, I'd say my votes are Classic, Egyptian, and Sports. Egyptian and Classic are often my go-to styles when I don't have a specific style in mind for a level - Classic basically being a version of Pillar that tiles nicely so it's easy to build up larger structures out of - the irregular block sizes of L1 pillar can be a pain to work with - blocks in L1 pillar really feel like irregular piles, while L2 classic feels more like actually building up larger structures from the smaller parts. At some point I'd like to attempt giving this treatment to some of the other L1 styles - specifically, anything that looks like it's constructed rather than natural. Grid compliant pieces really compliment my level building style well, and the constructed nature of the blocks in all 3 of these styles makes it look quite good while also not being difficult to work with.

Some of the styles are quite nice looking, but Cavelem and Outdoor, for example, are very difficult to create a level with, due to the nature of the pieces effectively being grid hiding tiles - they are grid compliant, but they're of course trying not to look like they're a grid, so they tend to be the worst of both worlds in terms of building up terrain.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 08:35:19 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the look of Lemmings 2 generally. It's one of the main reasons I just can't get past the first couple of levels, the Beach tileset just puts me off the whole game tbh. The sets all look somewhat rushed and poorly conceived compared to the L1/ONML sets.

I think the fact that L2 tilesets are mostly square blocks and right-angled triangles makes it feel more... basic than the L1/ONML sets, in spite of the increase in aesthetic detail throughout the sets. The wonky, abstract shapes which comprise most of the L1/ONML sets make them harder to use but ultimately allow them to come across as more unique and immersive as a result.

Anyways, I chose Egyptian because it's probably the best looking out of the L2 sets. Circus is the most usable in NeoLemmix, (although it's extremely garish) so that gets a token vote, and finally I chose Polar because I like the fact that it takes some of the ideas from the Snow tileset and makes them generally better and much more usable.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:49:11 PM »
I voted for Highland, Shadow and Sports. I also like the Outdoor tileset which comes close behind. My least favourite tileset is definitely Polar. I remember when I played Lemmings II in the old days, I was really shocked - I thought the snow looked like a bad children's drawing and I considered it a huge step backwards compared to the snow in Oh no more Lemmings. This impression hasn't changed much since.

Offline Ste Woz Ere

• Lemmings 2 fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 01:28:13 AM »
Shadow for me, followed by Space. Love the theming of both, and even more from a designer's perspective...as the original game didn't do justice to either of these tilesets. Medieval was also a pleasure to handle, given it's looks.

Outdoor was definitely the hardest to work with (so horrible to align the brown rocks), followed by Cavelem (no vertical rocks or big solid blocks of terrain) and Beach (no 45° slopes).
Tribes of Steel - a whole new Lemmings 2 game! (120-level pack)
Currently a WIP - all tribes are complete, testing and feedback is welcome!