Poll

Which are your favourite ports of the original 1991 Lemmings game?

Commodore Amiga
3 (7.9%)
Commodore 64
0 (0%)
Atari ST
0 (0%)
Sinclair Spectrum
0 (0%)
Nintendo Entertainment System
0 (0%)
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
2 (5.3%)
Sega Master System
2 (5.3%)
Sega Genesis (Mega Drive)
6 (15.8%)
Acorn Archimedes
1 (2.6%)
Apple Macintosh
1 (2.6%)
Sony Playstation Portable
2 (5.3%)
Sony Playstation 2
1 (2.6%)
Philips CD-i
0 (0%)
Sharp X68000
1 (2.6%)
MS-DOS / Lemmix
5 (13.2%)
NeoLemmix
8 (21.1%)
Windows 95 Lemmings
2 (5.3%)
(Super)Lemmini
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: [POLL] Your favourite Lemmings (1991) ports [POLL RESET - VOTE AGAIN]  (Read 2188 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Choose your favourite ports of Lemmings (1991) in the above poll: you can check as many as you like. If I have missed one, let me know in a comment and I will add it to the poll.

Feel free to discuss any of the ports, and the reasons for your choices! :)

N.B. This poll is for ports of the original L1 game only.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:17:33 PM by WillLem »

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Re: [POLL] Your favourite Lemmings (1991) ports [POLL]
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 12:15:06 AM »
SNES Lemmings was nice

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 12:34:54 AM »
The Sharp X68000 version is my favorite because it's essentially identical to the Amiga version in graphics and gameplay, but it also has fast-forward! :D It has two-player mode like the Amiga and has a charming little credits sequence too. The music isn't spectacular but it sounds fine and it takes a pretty long time for it to get on your nerves.

The PC-98 and FM Towns versions (which aren't up there yet) take a very close second and third, respectively, for similar reasons. They're pretty close to the Amiga version in graphics and to the DOS version in gameplay, and they also have fast-forward, as well as the same credits sequence as the Sharp one. They just don't have two-player mode, the PC-98 version's sampled sounds can be quite grating (thank goodness there's only two of them), and I'm not a big fan of the FM Towns's flat, crusty renditions of the Amiga soundtrack.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 03:07:53 AM »
Why are all those PC versions lumped in together, when they differ from each other more than Amiga, DOS and SNES differ from each other? ;)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »
The Mega Drive/Genesis Lemmings is the better port of all. The ultimate version, the one with the best and most puzzling levels.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 07:52:34 PM »
A reason SEGA Mega Drive Lemmings is good is the music, The Can Can music from the SEGA Mega Drive is probably my favourite lemmings song throughout every song of every port. Probably haven't heard enough of the songs to know for sure though

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 09:17:11 PM »
The Sharp X68000 version is my favorite because it's essentially identical to the Amiga version in graphics and gameplay, but it also has fast-forward!

Interesting! I wonder if there's an emu for this version? :lemcat:

Why are all those PC versions lumped in together, when they differ from each other more than Amiga, DOS and SNES differ from each other? ;)

Good shout. I've reset the poll and separated these out :thumbsup:

The Mega Drive/Genesis Lemmings is the better port of all. The ultimate version, the one with the best and most puzzling levels.

Bold statement! Can you elaborate on why you think it's the best of all?

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: [POLL] Your favourite Lemmings (1991) ports [POLL RESET - VOTE AGAIN]
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »

Bold statement! Can you elaborate on why you think it's the best of all?

The unique levels it has are of a superb quality. It's a wise decision that some of them replace here and there some of the less interesting levels of Original Lemmings. For example, between Steel Works and Let's Get Together, I obviously prefer the second one. Sega Genesis has not only one unique and full difficulty level, but TWO! Sixty brand new levels, plus the ones scattered along the other four difficulty levels.

Sega Genesis Lemmings has at least 4 of the best and most original levels ever made for the original 8-skill engine: "I Am A.T.", "Lemmings Ark", "Private Room Available", and the two "Fall And No Life" versions. Also, it has "Let's Go Camping", with its childish and unbeliveable backroute, yes, but also with the most elaborated intended solution I've ever seen! And I'm sure I'm missing a lot more to make a point!

Other highlights: "No World Without You", "Anxiety", "Evil Whisper", "The bridge is breaking down"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:54:56 PM by Ron_Stard »