Author Topic: The disks of the original Lemmings level editors (L1 and L2) have been recovered  (Read 2463 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFnMt3o1as

In short:
- Actual footage of both L1 and L2's editors. We've seen some footage of L1's editor before in a presentation by Mike a while back, but I think this is the first time L2's editor has been seen publicly?
- The disks have now been backed up in disk image format, meaning they're pretty much preserved for good. This is something Mike was previously unable to do.
- At this point they can't be released due to NDAs, but it's not impossible that that'll change in the future or that they'll get leaked wink wink.
- Mike has previously confirmed he had a disk containing the levels that were made for L1 (and OhNo?) but didn't make the cut, but no way to read it. The video makes no reference to these, unfortunately.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
Wow, that's a spectacular find. 8-)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Interesting to see that the L2 Classic tribe tileset looked very different from the final version (while all the other tile sets shown look pretty much like their final versions).
I guess they realized merging different tile sets from L1 didn't work very well due to the palette restrictions?
Though the holes in the pillars also didn't make the cut, I wonder why that is.

Offline 607

• View Profile
Interesting to see that the L2 Classic tribe tileset looked very different from the final version (while all the other tile sets shown look pretty much like their final versions).
I guess they realized merging different tile sets from L1 didn't work very well due to the palette restrictions?
Though the holes in the pillars also didn't make the cut, I wonder why that is.
Good catch. I thought something was up with that, but because I haven't played Lemmings 2 much it didn't click. I wasn't paying a lot of attention at that point of the video either, because I thought "I've seen the tilesets".
I found it interesting that Neil forgot to include a trapdoor and remarked this, and then wondered why the level got messed up. I wonder if that's indeed what caused it.