Author Topic: Level Design Contest #23  (Read 3167 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Level Design Contest #23
« on: May 17, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »
Welcome to another contest of the Lemmingsforums! This time the three rules have been picked by Armani for winning contest #22.

A few words to new participants and forum members: If you haven't entered before, I strongly encourage you to try - even if you don't win, it's fun to participate; and we have had cases where first-time entrants have won before! There are three choices of rules given, you may enter one level for EACH one of the rules.
You may either use new format NeoLemmix, or Lix.  The new NL RC is not viable for this contest! Only the stable version!
If you have more than one entry, they may (but do not have to) be for the same engine. Please make sure you tested your level for basic solvability before submitting and be sure to also submit any custom tileset you are using, so others have no problem playing your level. ;)

Pre contest testing: You can choose 1 person who does a bit of pre-testing for you, so that the biggest backroutes and screw-ups of your levels can be detected before the playing phase. I cannot control this so it's only a guideline, but still I would prefer not everyone knows every level before the playing phase starts. ;)

Here are the rules on how the submission deadlines work:
- Initial submission phase deadline will extend such that it's 72 hours from the time of the last submission, up to the 5th submission (inclusive). After this it no longer changes no matter what.
- Update phase deadline will not extend over the initial dead line!
- Even if you missed the cutoff date for the initial submission phase, late entries are accepted until the update phase ends. There is no penalty for a late entry, beyond that people are less likely to spend as much time on the level before voting begins.

And here is the new ruleset:

Rule 1: A lot of forum members are fans of x of everything levels!

Make a X of every Y different kind of skill level where X≤10 and Y≥5

- Pick-up skills(if they exist) count towards the skill limit.
     - Pre-assigned skills on hatches or lemmings(if they exist) don't count towards the Y skill types limit.

Rule 2: Mini-level

Make a very small level with few lemmings and a tight timer.

- The level must not be larger than 240x120 pixels. (3/4 of the default horizontal and vertical size, respectively)
     - The level gives at most a total of 10 lemmings. Neutals, pre-placed lemmings and cloners count towards the limit!
     - The level should have a time limit of 1 minute or less.

Rule 3: Like oil and water

Divide your level into two sections.

- Sizes and shapes of the sections are up to you.

You can choose two different tilesets, no more, no less. For the two tilesets you chose, use a different tileset in each section.

- VGASPECs are not allowed.
     - You have to use the terrain pieces and objects from the same tileset in each section.

All hatch(es) need to be in one section, while all exit(s) need to be in the other section.

I don't want to be too strict here. If you use two different styles and they don't blend into one another, it's fine.

Example:

Submission phase ends July 7th 2021 at 00:00 UTC.

Ruleset in detail again: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2246.0

Send me a personal message with your level/s and if needed tileset/s to participate. It would also be nice to also tell me the rule which each level satisfies.

Please use the following naming format:  User1_Levelname_R3V1.lvl ---> Level "Levelname" by User1   for Rule 3   Version 1 of the level

Prize selection:
- US $5.00
- One month's advertising on the forums news ticker
- Pick next contest's rules

Entries so far: 12

- Kingshadow3 (3)
- Armani (3)
- IchoTolot (3)
- kaywhyn (3)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 05:30:25 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #23
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »
I've got a question about Rule 3. If an object is shared among multiple tilesets (Pre-placed lemmings, updrafts, pickup skills, etc.), can they be used in either section? ???

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 05:45:06 AM »
If an object is shared among multiple tilesets (Pre-placed lemmings, updrafts, pickup skills, etc.), can they be used in either section? ???

Yes. you can freely use them in either section ;)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »
Just submitted my 3rd entry! :)

Also a quick reminder to get your entries in as well! ;)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »
Just 5 days until the playing phase! Get your entries in!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
Last minute call! I will create the pack and start the playing phase this weekend so if you still got a level laying around - send it! :)