Author Topic: NOTICE: Forums will be offline at some point later today.  (Read 2660 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
NOTICE: Forums will be offline at some point later today.
« on: June 22, 2021, 11:47:20 PM »
It will be no less than two hours from the time of this post, and I will give notice on the Discord closer to the time.

This is to do two things:
1. Upgrade the forum software to SMF 2.0.18
2. Replace the SMF CAPTCHA + security questions with reCAPTCHA

As a precaution, an out-of-schedule backup will be taken after putting the forum into maintenance mode but before any further action is taken.

All going well, the downtime will last perhaps 10 - 15 minutes, though may be longer if I run into any snags. In a worst case scenario, I'll have the backup and can simply roll back to the current software.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:53:51 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NOTICE: Forums will be offline at some point later today.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 12:18:28 AM »
As an update: I have successfully got both changes working on a test copy of the site (hosted on my local machine rather than the live server), as well as pulled the changes to a "staging" repo on the actual server. As these have both been successful, I am nearly 100% sure that it will be a smooth upgrade - however, it's always better to take precautions and not need them, than the other way around.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 01:49:07 AM »
I'll take the forums down for the update in about 10 minutes.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 03:09:39 AM »
The 2.0.18 upgrade is working fine, but I am having issues when going live with the reCAPTCHA integration.

I have restored the forums with 2.0.18 update, but not reCAPTCHA, in place. I'm currently working on the reCAPTCHA issue - at first I wasn't able to reproduce it on my local setup, but I've managed to now, so don't need to be able to use the live site to test. The site will go down again to launch this once it's ready, I'll give some notice first.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 03:26:13 AM »
I'll be taking the forums down again in about 5 minutes to try this again.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 03:40:51 AM »
And we're done. :) reCAPTCHA anti-spam is now live, as is the SMF 2.0.18 update. Shouldn't be any more downtimes now, but please let me know if you encounter any new bugs.
My Lemmings projects