Author Topic: [BUG][RC-PLAYER] Jumper-Climber breakage  (Read 1367 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[BUG][RC-PLAYER] Jumper-Climber breakage
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:47:16 PM »
Reported on Discord by IchoTolot. This is a bug in V12.12.0-RC1 that did not occur in V12.11 stable.

Well done it now and I think I got something in terms of unexpected break.
It seems to exist some inconsistencies regarding jumpers.
It's not excessive but it is not expected
got 3 breakages so far
<attachment 1>
-- Intro pack advanced training 9
<attachments 2 & 3>
from "the lemmings have grown"
I seems to be connected with a jumper lemming behaving differently - as it is always a jumper lem that goes out of order
the levels themselves are not broken though
loaded the old replay in both versions.
Stable: Jumper goes into a climber and then hoists end up slightly in mid air and needs to fall shortly - takes 11 frames
RC: Jumper directly hoists - takes 7 frames
That seems to be the reason
jumper - climber - hoister transtions
It could be that one little physics bug fix with the climber/jumper bahavior on top of a stacker. I remember that one, but it isn't listed in the fixes
Not it was a shimmier, but I can see having an effect on this: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5255.0
but wait that fix is a bit older ....
hmmmm not sure what exactly is interfering here

The fix being referred to was introduced in V12.11, so is almost certianly not the culprit here.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][RC-PLAYER] Jumper-Climber breakage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 08:03:11 PM »
Had a look at this - what appears to be happening is that the Jumper's position should be (but isn't) moved downwards a bit when hitting the wall, so that he's in the correct position to hoist.

I've also tracked which commit the bug was introduced in - 5e5b286. This was the commit to fix the Jumper exiting on last frame of jumping (even if the exit was in midair) bug.

Also to clarify, climber has nothing to do with this. It's a positioning error in the Jumper->Hoister direct transition at certain heights.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][RC-PLAYER] Jumper-Climber breakage
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:47:23 PM »
Fixed in commit 28bb39f. In short - there was code intended to advance the hoister by two frames immediately after transitioning, in certain cases. However, the fix in 5e5b286 for that other bug, caused this frame advance to not take effect. I've modified the code now so that it works again.
My Lemmings projects