Author Topic: 6 Gaps, 5 Builders  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
6 Gaps, 5 Builders
« on: April 23, 2021, 07:42:57 PM »
It is possible that "6 Gaps, 5 Builders" got easier due to a physics change from 0.6 to 0.7 ("Builder creates brick further ahead, like in NL. No builder backstep."). So the question is if it should be downranked or fixed?

Online geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Gaps, 5 Builders
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:14:03 PM »
I think it should be fixed, probably by moving the last block 1 px to the right.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 03:45:40 PM »
moving the last block 1 px to the right.

If by "last block", we mean the final island in the water and not the exit platform, and we move this island 2 hi-res pixels to the right, then all 4 covering replays still pass.

We can, in addition, move the exit platform rightwards by at least 8 hi-res pixels, and all 4 covering replays will still pass. Do we want to move the exit platform, too? E.g., we can move it by 4 hi-respixels, and then re-center everything by moving everything leftwards by 2 pixels.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 03:55:17 PM »
I'll set aside some time to look at this on Tuesday.

Online geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »
moving the last block 1 px to the right.

If by "last block", we mean the final island in the water and not the exit platform, and we move this island 2 hi-res pixels to the right, then all 4 covering replays still pass.

We can, in addition, move the exit platform rightwards by at least 8 hi-res pixels, and all 4 covering replays will still pass. Do we want to move the exit platform, too? E.g., we can move it by 4 hi-respixels, and then re-center everything by moving everything leftwards by 2 pixels.
Yes, that's what I meant. My rationale for that change was to make it impossible to bridge two gaps with a single builder, while making sure execution doesn't become harder.
I don't remember what exactly the intended solution is, like bridge 3 gaps with 2 builders or bridge 4 gaps with 3 builders, and how many variations of that are possible now,
so that can be investigated too, but I think ensuring there's no place for a single builder to bride two gaps is the most important part.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 09:07:37 PM »
Is geoo's proposed fix acceptable?