Poll

What behavior would you prefer for the cursor when a level starts?

Snap to middle of screen
3 (27.3%)
Keep existing position
5 (45.5%)
Don't care either way
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Stop cursor snapping to centre on level start  (Read 1794 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Stop cursor snapping to centre on level start
« on: April 23, 2021, 10:44:25 AM »
When starting a level, the cursor snaps to a central position. Whilst this is at worst a very minor inconvenience for general play, it can be more significantly disruptive for speedrunning or other real-time challenges.

If it's an easy enough fix to remove this behaviour, I definitely think it's worth doing so.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Stop cursor snapping to centre on level start
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »
Have added a poll.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 08:14:09 PM »
I'd like it to be a setting

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 08:17:58 PM »
I'd like it to be a setting

Would you personally have this setting set to the old behavior or the proposed new behavior?

It comes down to that there's only any point implementing a setting if both sides of this have significant support. If most people would rather keep the existing behavior, adding an option is low priority, and an outright change is out of the question. Likewise, if most people would rather the new proposal, then instead of an option it'd be easier to just outright change the behavior.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 05:12:52 AM »
Okay, so the votes were split evenly between "yes", "no" and "don't care". I gave some thought to it and figured - the snap to center behavior makes sense in the context of the old menu, where no cursor is visible in the menu, thus snapping it to the center (though primarily just a carry-over from Lemmix more than anything else) somewhat made sense as otherwise the cursor essentially reappeared in a "random" place on the screen - it made more sense to have it appear in one specific place.

With the new menus however, the cursor is always visible, so that's no longer an issue. And therefore, it shouldn't jump around. So - and this was already implemented in 12.12, and as I suspected would be the case, it seems no one actually noticed - I have made the change so that the cursor no longer snaps to center at the beginning of a level. ;)
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
Cheeky :lemcat: :thumbsup: