Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Show custom lems in the skill preview in the level select window  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Show the hi resolution version of the lemming sprites which appear on the skill panel for that level

(this)

in the skillset preview in the level select window

(here)

Instead of just the regular lemmings.

So for instance the skillset preview in the level select window for Xmas Lemmings will contain them all wearing red and xmas hats.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:34:47 AM by Silken Healer »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
It's important to note that unlike the in-game ones, which are generated from the lemming sprites in use, the ones in the level select menu are pre-generated. (One thing that somewhat gives this away could be that there are no frames of the Digger sprite that don't have some destruction particles visible, yet none exist in the level select menu.)

There is also the factor that if the user is playing in low-res, the high-res graphics don't even get loaded. Again - the ones in the level select menu don't actually come from the lemming sprites (not even with a "always use default"), but rather from pre-created graphics in "gfx/menu/levelinfo_icons.png".

That's not to say that this can't be changed, but simply that it would be a lot more work than it may seem - so I'm not really sure how worthwhile this is. Still, I'll leave this open for now to see what people think.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Couldn't you just use the sprites from the same folder as the in game ones? I don't think anyone would mind the digger sprite having particles, the builder not being bent over but standing upright ect. And even if they did, I think it would still be better to have the lemmings be the same as in-level instead of having a few particles removed. Also I forgot to mention it but I would also like it changed for the 'Lemmings in this level icon'. Maybe the entrance and hatch icon could be the same as the level's theme aswell?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Maybe the entrance and hatch icon could be the same as the level's theme aswell?

This one is not going to happen, for technical reasons.

I don't think anyone would mind the digger sprite having particles

I don't think it's a problem if it does; I more just mentioned this in the sense of "it's a subtle detail that might have hinted at that the level select menu isn't actually using the lemming sprites".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Ah, I see. Anyway, what do you think about making the skillset preview icon's in the level select window be the same as the in-game ones on the skill panel in hi res mode?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Ah, I see. Anyway, what do you think about making the skillset preview icon's in the level select window be the same as the in-game ones on the skill panel in hi res mode?

As stated, it could be a bit tricky on the technical side of things, though not impossible by any means.

If you mean as in what's my opinion from a user point of view, I wouldn't object but I also don't see the need - but as this is a preference and not a technical / etc issue, this isn't me rejecting it, more just saying that "as far as community opinion goes, I'm not voting either way".

I should state that if it does happen, it won't be as a 12.12.X feature, so there's no rush to get a decision made. (12.13.X is possible.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
I mean as in: if this were to be accepted, would you do it that way?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I mean as in: if this were to be accepted, would you do it that way?

Ah, you mean as in "specifically using the high-res ones rather than low-res"?

I'd likely seek community input on the preference between "use high-res always vs use user's resolution setting". I don't have strong feelings either way; I'd personally vote for "always high-res" because the menu screens tend to be high-res in general, but it would ultimately come down to community preference. The one thing I'd rule out is "always low-res".
My Lemmings projects

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
No I mean as in using the same sprites for the skillset preview in the level select window as in the skill panel sprites in game. I guess you'd probably have to do it that way though

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
No I mean as in using the same sprites for the skillset preview in the level select window as in the skill panel sprites in game. I guess you'd probably have to do it that way though

Ah, so just my thoughts on the idea in general. I answered this already in my first reply:

That's not to say that this can't be changed, but simply that it would be a lot more work than it may seem - so I'm not really sure how worthwhile this is.

Or to put this another way - I'm not specifically against it, either as a user or as a developer. As a developer, I'm open to it if there's enough interest (although my hunch would be there isn't that much interest, given that no one else has posted in this topic besides us), subject to that I don't encounter some major technical obstacle while doing it. As a user, I would neither support nor oppose it.
My Lemmings projects