Author Topic: Cheapo Level List Game  (Read 14034 times)

Ice_Eagle

Cheapo Level List Game
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:18:40 PM »
Alright, let's continue this game. We were on Level 14, "Ordeal By Fire," and I skipped Level 14 and reviewed Level 15 instead. Anyone going to review it?

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:13:29 PM »
Code: [Select]
YOUR CONCEPT HAS EXPIRED.
PLEASE RENEW IT AT YOUR LOCAL KIOSK.

:D

Ice_Eagle

Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 03:41:08 PM »
Fine, if no one's continuing this game then I will review Level 20. But I do wish people would finish reviewing this set!

One Winged Angel
Save 10/100
RR 99
Time: 1 minute
Skills: 1 bomber, basher and 2 blockers

Good: Awesome nuking level. As with other levels it's fun to find the solution.
Bad: I saved 58/100, which is a lot more than 10.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 11:10:49 PM »
Yes, I've been seriously considering upping the requirement to 50/100 on that one. When I first made it I didn't realise it was possible to get above 20 or so, but actually, 50 isn't all that hard.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 08:48:52 AM »
Well, I did some sketching for 'Ordeal by Fire', and when playtesting I noticed that it is possible to get though the three fire blowers at the top somehow, however getting through requires some more builders, and therefore it doesn't work.
I should continue that sketching sometime...

Anyway, has this become randomly reviewing levels out of Arhibar's set? That way I'd review some other level first.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 09:45:30 AM »
The last bit will be hard to sketch because it's not obvious exactly where the boundaries of the deadly zone are.

I have now uploaded a revised version of the set with the bottom half of the Ordeal cut to make it quicker and less boring. Same link: http://repton.freespaces.com . I haven't playtested it much yet, which is why the time limit is still 9 minutes -- I need to decide how much to allocate based on how the level plays out.

I'd rather we review the last seven in order, but we don't have to if at any point we seem to be getting stuck.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »
I'm still somewhat stunned. Going through these three fire blowers at the top seems to be possible perhaps even with a few spare builders, but there'd be a lack of blockers because some lemmings need to be timed in order for the solution to work correctly, at least it seems to me.
Getting in from the sides doesn't seem to be possible because of building too high.
Could you please tell me which sections of the fire traps are lethal? Maybe as a little sketch or by the data of the rectangle placement?
I checked it out a little, but I'm not sure about it.

btw, have you got your new version of 'Zorn's Lemming' done already?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 10:24:25 AM »
Sigh. Fixing "Ordeal by Fire" has proved to be a lot more work than I expected. Still, I think it's getting there now and might just need a couple more days.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 08:21:40 PM »
Alright, it's fixed. This time I promise. And I have tested and completed the level using both the left and right solutions.

Same link: http://repton.freespaces.com and click on the preview.zip and styles1.zip downloads.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 02:26:12 PM »
Ok, finally done it! Saved 96% with 1 bomber left. Just wondering, was it solvable in some of the earlier versions, or wasn't it?
Btw, the steel block under the exit isn't steel (I acidentally found that out when I misstimed the bomber to blow up the bridge which reached too far). It doesn't have much effect on the level, but theoretically it could destroy an otherwise working solution.
Seems almost somewhat simple now, maybe you could add the old bottom half to the top...:tongue:

Ok, finally the review:
Michael Preview 2 - Level 14: Ordeal by Fire
Save 95/100
RR: 01
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 1 climber, 2 floaters 3 bombers, 4 blockers, 18 builders
Good: You need to think where to build your way and how to get all in in time.
Bad: Still quite a lot of building, and it's not obvious where the boundaries of the fire blowers are.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »
Ok, finally done it! Saved 96% with 1 bomber left. Just wondering, was it solvable in some of the earlier versions, or wasn't it?
I guess we'll never know now..... I remembered having done it but I could be wrong. Or maybe it was solvable originally and then it got messed up when I rethought the boundaries for the fire traps.

Btw, the steel block under the exit isn't steel
Yes it is, but I seem to have forgotten to move the boundaries of the steel together with the object. Fixed now (but not uploaded -- too much effort for such a tiny change).

Seems almost somewhat simple now, maybe you could add the old bottom half to the top...:tongue:
Heh. But nothing doing, the old version was far too long and dull. This one at least has a point and sticks to the point, even if there is still a fair amount of building.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 06:13:34 PM »
Okay, so now we have to finish levels 16 (I already did 15), 17, 18, and 19.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:59:45 PM »
Because we've already messed up the order and there are only four left anyway, I don't mind if you want to review one of the others before 16. That's the Lemming Tower, isn't it? ..... I'd rather you didn't leave that to geoo89, as he's been so nice and done the other boring level for us already  :cool:  but take another one if you prefer.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 10:32:09 PM »
Backroute report in "The Hotel in Hell." I saved 29/30.

Highlight:
Let the lemmings drop one level, then use a blocker on the right of the steel, then they'll turn around. The lemmings will go through the flamethrower without getting burned. Then the lemmings will drop another level. They then can bash through the wall so they can reach the exit.

Btw, you said before that no two levels will share the same music in the preview.. Why does Level 19 have the same music as Level 11?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 11:00:31 PM »
Heh. Of course that was introduced when I corrected the flamethrower's deadly zone limits for the Ordeal. Fixed now by moving the flamethrower in Hotel two pixels down -- and if you re-download, the steel on Ordeal should be fixed as well.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 01:14:19 AM »
Actually, I'll just do Level 16 instead, to get this over with. Oh, and I know why you made the "same music" mistake on Level 19. You switched musics 18 and 21 around in the style.

The Lemming Tower of Pizza
Save 15/30
RR 1
Time: 1:30
Skills: 20 climbers, 10 bombers, 3 builders

Good: You have to know the right time to raise the release rate, so you can win this one.
Bad: It's frustrating timing those bombers. It would take many tries to succeed this level.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 10:51:16 AM »
Actually, I'll just do Level 16 instead, to get this over with. Oh, and I know why you made the "same music" mistake on Level 19. You switched musics 18 and 21 around in the style.
Shit. Thanks for noticing; I've put them the right way round now. I'll put the new style up soon.....

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 02:15:04 PM »
So...is anyone going to do Levels 17, 18 and 19? We need to finish this right now!

Sorry if I keep reminding, but it's been a long time since we started reviewing this pack!  :sad:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »
I just thought of reviewing level 17, but I noticed that I didn't solve this level the intended way yet. Unfortunately I have to do some other stuff right now.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
Did you check whether I was successful in removing your solution?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 02:16:48 PM »
I just checked again and it seems to work still (I checked the main moves)! I suppose I was convinced that you avoided that backroute successfully.
Maybe you can use the way to fix it I suggested in my mail, but don't forget that there's still one bomber and one builder left.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 08:26:28 PM »
Hmm, could you PM me with how the method works on the new version? It's been a while.......

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 10:58:47 PM »
Yes, it's been a big while. I would like to review level 18 soon...

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 03:00:08 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I've uploaded a new version with "Down Among the Dead Lemmings" fixed.  :cool:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 12:06:20 PM »
I might have found the intended solution. Check it. :smiley:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 04:36:55 PM »
(Deleted a few old posts to make the topic easier to follow)

I've now made some rather more radical changes to the level layout .... I'm not sure what effect this will have either on the direct-drop backroute or on other possibilities.