Author Topic: [BUG][EDITOR] Pickup-skill counts are being reset to 1 again  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
[BUG][EDITOR] Pickup-skill counts are being reset to 1 again
« on: April 10, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »
This is an issue that I think was dealt with a while ago, but now it looks like it's popped up again (current stable editor version 1.35):

When you open a level containing pickup skills that have their skill count set to more than 1, while those are displayed correctly in the player, the editor resets those to 1 per pickup-skill object.

Something that's easy to overlook until you notice your replay has broken for seemingly no apparent reason.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][EDITOR] Pickup-skill counts are being reset to 1 again
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 08:02:12 PM »
Does it only happen when loading specific level files?

If so, does it still happen after those level files are cleansed?

If not, have you cleansed the level files in question at any point since V12.7.X?

If not, there's your answer. If this doesn't seem to be the problem, could you please send me (PM is okay) the affected NXLV file? (ie: the one that has the right count in the player but the wrong count in the editor)

To be clear - you don't need to dig up 12.7 for this, cleansing them on 12.11 should be fine.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:15 PM »
The level file in question featured Jumpers, so it was made at some point from version 12.9 onwards. I didn't assume there would be a necessity to cleanse the levels again at that point. I ran a mass-replay check over the pack (it's Lemmings Hall of Fame, which is still in development) when the Glider-physics change came, which I remember broke a few levels, but those are long fixed by now, too (since a demo version has been released).

However, now that I had corrected the skill count, when I re-opened it again now, it remained correct (4 per pickup skill). So at least it seems to be a one-time thing. It just seems strange, because cleansing levels is something the player does, whereas I just re-opened the level in the editor, made the correction and saved again. Thus, I wouldn't expect the editor to have cleansed the level in the process... ???
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:26 PM »
It just seems strange, because cleansing levels is something the player does, whereas I just re-opened the level in the editor, made the correction and saved again

Opening and re-saving the level is exactly what cleansing them does. The reason behind it is that because the level is fully loaded (ie: it's not just duplicating the raw text in the NXLV file), when it re-saves it, the format is all up to date.

On the occasion where you opened the level in the editor and this happened, did you do any kind of editing that affected the pickup skill in any way? I'm wondering if something else (rather than an issue when loading / saving - which is how the original bug arose) might be the culprit here... my first guess being whether perhaps selecting it at the same time as other objects might be causing problems?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 10:37:18 PM »
No, I hadn't made any changes to the existing pickup skills, I only added a new one. And then noticed the replay broke. After readjusting the pickup skill count to 4 and saving again, that's how things remained for the time being.

But anyways, thanks for clarifying that this is actually identical to cleansing, just the "manual" version of going about it! ;) That way, if this happens again, I can now rest assured I only need to manually correct it again once, and then it should remain in place after saving.

I had only reported this because I was fearing such a reset could potentially happen anytime I re-opened a level with pickup skill counts > 1. But since that doesn't seem to be the case, I think we can close this thread now.
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 10:45:36 PM »
But anyways, thanks for clarifying that this is actually identical to cleansing, just the "manual" version of going about it!

One important difference is that NeoLemmix itself still supports NXLV files that predate 12.7, whereas the editor has removed support for the deprecated keywords and may load such levels incorrectly. Running them through cleanse in NL, will get them working correctly in the editor again (because they'll be in the up-to-date format when saved again).
My Lemmings projects