Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Shadows: Indicator whether lemming will turn around?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
namida suggested to add an additional feature to the shadows: An indicator whether a lemming will turn around after finishing his work. The code can easily determine whether this is the case. Still I have two questions for you:
1) Would you like to have this feature?
2) How would you want this additional piece of information displayed on the screen?

Edit by namida: This feature will be happening, but question #2 is still open.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:36:06 PM by namida »

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows: Indicator whether lemming will turn around? [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER]
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »
That would be a nice feature! :)

Maybe a little white arrow in the opposite direction would be a good indicator ???

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:35:14 AM »
1) not really, no. Don't see why this is needed at all. Seems like something that can usually be determined easily by yourself.

2) on the "reveal terrain/steel grey thing" button press.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 02:14:10 AM »
My thought was to perhaps display the shadow, or at least the last few steps of such, in a different color. May be easier said than done to do that.

Shadows are usually always displayed, so I don't know that I like the idea of displaying some parts of their information only in Clear Physics mode. But it's not that hard to activate said mode either, so not a huge deal.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I'd like to try and get this implemented for V12.12. Does anyone have input regarding the "how to display it"?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Shadows: Indicator whether lemming will turn around?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 08:51:40 PM »
Well, there already is a shadow showing the lemming's overall trajectory now when holding down ALT while hovering the cursor over the lemming.

However, the only reason I know this is because I found it out accidentally: ALT used to be the button to display all the initials of the athletic skills a lemming has.

Does this feature still exist?
Because the Hotkey menu doesn't show it.

If this "display initials of athletic skills" is no longer available, I think this would be a much more important feature to bring back
, as we have more athletic skills now than ever (including the Slider).
Whereas there are several ways to show the trajectory (ALT, but apparently also SHIFT?).

If you want to indicate turning around on top of that, maybe display a little curved arrow (180 degrees) at the end of the "line" of the trajectory shadow.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 08:57:29 PM »
Does this feature still exist? Because the Hotkey menu doesn't show it.

Yes, but it's no longer assigned to any key by default. You can still assign it to one manually. "Show Athlete Info", second option in the dropdown.

If this "display initials of athletic skills" is no longer available, I think this would be a much more important feature to bring back, as we have more athletic skills now than ever (including the Slider).
Whereas there are several ways to show the trajectory (ALT, but apparently also SHIFT?).

The difference between these two keys is that Shift ("Skill Projection Shadow") is "what will the lemming's path be, if I assign the currently selected skill to it right now?", whereas Alt ("Projection Shadow") is "what will the lemming's path be if it just keeps doing what it's doing?". If the currently selected skill cannot be assigned to the lemming, the two are equivalent.

In turn, what sets this apart from the skill projection shadow is that this would be an extra detail added to the standard shadow. The suggestion does indeed pre-date the projection shadow, but I definitely think there's room for both.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 09:47:34 PM »
Quote from: namida
Yes, but it's no longer assigned to any key by default. You can still assign it to one manually. "Show Athlete Info", second option in the dropdown.

Thanks; glad to know the option is still present in general. I had to fiddle around a little until I understood which dropdown menu you meant. ;)

For anyone else looking for this: Tick "show unassigned keys" first, then select a key of your choice that has "nothing" assigned to it (I had to use "find key" to select a key, I couldn't just click on one in the list somehow). Then there is a dropdown menu on the right which you can only open once a key has been selected. And at that point, as namida said, "Show Athlete Info" is indeed second from the top in that dropdown menu.

Quote from: namida
The difference between these two keys is that Shift ("Skill Projection Shadow") is "what will the lemming's path be, if I assign the currently selected skill to it right now?", whereas Alt ("Projection Shadow") is "what will the lemming's path be if it just keeps doing what it's doing?"

Thanks for the distinction! ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 11:31:38 AM »
How about a shadow of a lem facing the opposite direction, at the exact point of turnaround and the same colour as the skill shadow itself?

This could be more useful than simply an arrow, since it could also indicate the exact positioning of the turned lem, and even what state they will be in (e.g. faller, slider, etc).