Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Shimmier can pass under the bottom of the level  (Read 1263 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
See Armani's slider bug report topic, which also mentions this shimmier issue: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5525.0

As I mention there, it is technically an expected outcome of other physics details (specifically, in this case, the shimmier doesn't quite end up far enough below the level bottom boundary to actually die), but it's definitely a corner case that needs fixing.

Workaround in existing levels is to add water or fire along the bottom, or just make the bottom-touching terrain not Shimmier friendly.

This will be fixed in 12.12.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Shimmier can pass under the bottom of the level
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 06:38:41 AM »
As I mention there, it is technically an expected outcome of other physics details ... but it's definitely a corner case that needs fixing.

Why, if it's expected? I think it makes perfect sense: the shimmier has not fallen from the bottom of the terrain, so why should they die?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:45:22 AM by WillLem »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
Why, if it's expected? I think it makes perfect sense: the shimmier has not fallen from the bottom of the terrain, so why should they die?

There can be a big difference between "It's expected in terms of how internally NL physics work" and "from the outside the normal user expects it".

The shimmier (and slider in the other case) is visually completely outside the level. Every user would expect a lemming who is visually completely outside the level to die as that's a basic rule in NL.

Internally the lemming has its active physics trigger 1 pixel inside the terrain. The slider and shimmier trigger is therefore still inside, but no visual indicator of the lemming itself indicates this and no person would guess this. Therefore it definitly needs to go and it would just cause confusion and anger among players who don't know the internal state of physiucs.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 09:02:01 PM »
The shimmier (and slider in the other case) is visually completely outside the level. Every user would expect a lemming who is visually completely outside the level to die as that's a basic rule in NL.

Conceded. :lemcat:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:27:35 AM »
Fixed in commit d97085f.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)