Author Topic: NeoLemmix is now DPI aware... how can we get the best out of this feature?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Following on from the previous zoom-increments topic, and whilst this sort of thing is being discussed, I thought it might be worthwhile to create a catch-all topic to discuss optimum settings for NeoLemmix on various sized monitors, at various resolutions, and with various scaling settings.

I currently have my monitor set to the following:

Screen size: 15"
Display resolution: 1920 x 1080
OS Scaling: 150%
NeoLemmix Scaling: Determined by OS

The result is that NeoLemmix appears as a "medium sized" application on screen. I realise that the following screenshot will look different on different monitors/resolutions, and it is in fact resized to fit the post, but it gives an overall idea of what I'm looking at, dimensions-wise if not clarity-wise:

As you can see, the menu is quite large and almost fills the screen. Without changing the dimensions of the player, here's how it appears once in-game and at 1x zoom:

This is pretty good. The game appears medium-sized and is decent enough for a windowed application. Placing the cursor in the centre of the screen and zooming to 2x results in the following:

Part of the top of the level is cut off, but it's not too bad; everything is clear, and it's usable enough.

In fullscreen, 2x zoom fills the screen perfectly, but the panel appears relatively small by comparison. This is because the 150% OS scaling won't allow the panel to zoom to 2x:

Allowing NL to do its own scaling lets the panel zoom to 2x and also allows the level to fill the window properly at 2x zoom (these benefits also carry over to Fullscreen):

This is great, although one drawback is that the writing in the menus now appears extremely thin and very difficult to read. Here's a comparison, NL scaling is on the left and OS scaling is on the right. Unfortunately the screenshots don't really pick it up very well, and imgur adds filtering which actually makes it easier to see/read. At least, this shows that the text is slightly more bold (and appears slightly larger) with OS scaling:

Despite the obvious benefits of allowing NL to scale itself (larger panel, better zoom in windowed mode, behaves better when recording with OBS), the menus become so difficult to read that I inevitably end up switching back to OS scaling.

I wonder if there's any way to optimise the menu text when displaying at full-res/NL scaling? A thicker, larger font would definitely help.

Please share how NL appears on your setup, and between us all we might be able to find the optimum settings.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:21:09 AM by WillLem »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix is now DPI aware... how can we get the best out of this feature?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 02:17:00 AM »
Not entirely sure the point of this exercise, but sure, here are screenshots of my NL setup.

Display resolution: 1366 x 768
NL window: 864 x 560

All screenshots have been shrunk 50% for this post.