Author Topic: DECISION: Cutoff dates for new suggestions.  (Read 7731 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
DECISION: Cutoff dates for new suggestions.
« on: March 27, 2021, 07:12:39 PM »
The below post is older information. At this time, no new suggestions whatsoever are being accepted.

As part of the goal of wrapping NeoLemmix up, I'm going to set cutoff dates for new suggestions. To avoid any doubt, this relates solely to the player, not the editor!

tldr:
No new physics suggestions (except relating to the new skills / objects). This rule is already in effect (as of the time this topic was created).
No new UI suggestions, unless they're connected to features introduced in 12.11.0 or later. This rule is already in effect (as of 1st July 2021).
No new suggestions at all, unless they're connected to features introduced in the newest stable version at the time. This rule is already in effect (as of 1st October 2021).
Existing suggestions of all kinds, remain open even beyond these cutoff dates, until they are either implemented or rejected. It is only a stop on new suggestions being made.
Bugs may (and should) continue to be reported until further notice.

The first stage of this came into effect immediately when this topic was posted. No new topics proposing new physics features, or alterations to existing ones, will be given consideration. Existing topics are exempt from this, and the discussions going on in them may continue.

There will be two exceptions to this:
- Topics relating to any potential new object type that gets declared a strong contender, may continue to be created.
- Bugs may still be raised until further notice. This is about new ideas, not about problems with existing ones.

Note: If you have a topic to create that's very on-the-edge as to whether it's acceptable or not, create it. Unless someone is spamming the board with obviously-not-relevant ideas, the worst that will happen is that the topic catches the express train to the Closed board.

The second stage came into effect as of the 1st of July. No new topics proposing new UI features, or alterations to existing ones, will be considered. Existing topics are exempt from this, and the discussions going on in them may continue.

There will be two exceptions to this:
- Topics may be made for new UI suggestions, if the suggestion is related to a feature that was introduced in V12.11.X or higher.
- Bugs may still be raised until further notice. This is about new ideas, not about problems with existing ones.

The third stage came into effect as of the 1st of October. From this date, no new topics proposing new UI features, or alterations to existing ones, will be considered, unless they're related to features introduced in the newest stable version at the time. Existing topics are exempt from this, and the discussions going on in them may continue. Bugs may still be reported for both physics and UI.

The fourth stage will come into effect two weeks after V12.13.0 goes stable. At this point, no new suggestions will be accepted whatsoever.

And to be very clear on all of the above: If you need an entire paragraph and/or words like "technically" in order to explain how a suggestion qualifies as "related to a feature in the latest stable release", it probably doesn't.

A similar plan also exists for phasing out the acceptance of bug reports; there is a seperate topic detailing this.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 04:14:55 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: DECISION: Cutoff dates for new suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 07:33:59 PM »
I have elaborated on this to add cutoff dates for UI suggestions as well. There is no cutoff for bug reports at this stage.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 07:06:22 PM »
I made a few tweaks to this schedule:

1. Previously, the cutoff for most UI suggestions was "1st of July, or two weeks after 12.12 goes stable, whichever comes first". Although no exact date is set for 12.12 to go stable yet, I have set a minimum date on this, which is less than two weeks before July 1st - therefore, I simplified this and just outright set July 1st as the deadline for most UI suggestions.

2. Previously, the cutoff for the remaining UI suggestions was "when 12.13 goes into RC". This is something that would likely happen without warning, so instead I've changed this to another whichever comes first - two weeks after 12.13 goes into RC, or the 1st of October.

3. This isn't an actual change, but I've modified the wording to make it very clear that this only relates to new suggestions, not bug reports (at this stage).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 07:23:47 PM »
I've made some tweaks around the cutoff for all suggestions:

1. Firstly, I've gotten rid of any links to NL release timings, and just set an exact date - 1st of October.

2. However, I've also added a note that, if 12.12's stable release gets delayed a lot, I might push this cutoff date back too.

I have also gone through and purged a lot of suggestion topics where one (or more) of the following apply:
- I don't think the suggestion is worthwhile (either due to lack of value, and/or lack of interest, relative to the effort needed to implement it)
- The suggestion has already been implemented, the topic was left open for further input to it, and none has occurred
- There is significant overlap with another, still-open topic (in these cases I have kept the more-recently-active topic)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:44:17 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 09:25:48 PM »
I didn't post on the day, but I'm posting now to point out that the cutoff for UI suggestions has now passed, except if those UI suggestions relate to a feature introduced in 12.11 or 12.12. To avoid any doubt: bugs may still be reported; and existing suggestion topics remain open until individually rejected.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 07:19:07 AM »
^ And likewise for all suggestions that do not relate to a feature introduced in V12.12.0.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 08:54:50 AM »
I have added a fourth phase, which will take effect two weeks after V12.13.0 goes stable. When this arrives, no new suggestions will be accepted whatsoever. (However, as with the previous phases, this only applies to the player; suggestions for the editor can continue to be made.)
My Lemmings projects