Author Topic: Your ideas for the new forum.  (Read 12340 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Your ideas for the new forum.
« on: May 30, 2006, 09:04:19 PM »
Well, here we are.  As this is the new Lemmings forums, it may be time for changes.  How do you people want this Lemmings Forums to be?  Any changes?  New boards? Different boards?  Heck, just tell me what you want, and it might happen.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:52:24 AM »
This forum seems fast so far.
The old forum contains a lot of very useful information. What about that?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:14:34 AM »
Well, if you mean importing stuff from the old forum, I don't think it's possible.  What information are you talking about?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:50:53 AM »
Technical stuff mainly. The Lemmini thread and the other important threads.
Well maybe i will just save these as html offline files.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:15:08 PM »
I always thought an awesome idea would be an area for roleplay, art and creative stuff in general. What do you think?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 11:05:16 PM »
Yes, an idea I myself have thought should exist.

*makes "Lemmings Fan Stuff" forum*

lomay

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 06:43:32 PM »
a welcoming member center?
should we have that one as well?

edit: i was willing on being a Moderators for that and i removed the "topic" word. ?_?;

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 08:23:50 PM »
Welcoming centers tend to lead to spam. They apparently suck up bandwidth like nobody's business, too.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 11:28:33 PM »
LEGAL DOUBLE POST'D

I was looking at the main page and I thought that the 'Game Help' and 'Technical Help' forums look similar. Maybe they should be collapsed into one?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 11:25:15 AM »
I agree, to be honest. The "Game Help" on the old board was for questions like "I'm stuck on Mayhem 29!", but we just don't get people asking those questions enough to merit its own forum. You could lump them together under the title of "Game Help".

No offence to Ice Eagle, but his avatar really bugs me. Can you set a size limit, or at least block animated avatars?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 11:27:30 AM »
I have a 128x128px avatar size limit, and I happen to like animated avy's.  But maybe Ice-Eagle could change it?

EDIT: And I'm busy merging the boards.

lomay

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 12:25:56 PM »
Quote from: Chmera
Welcoming centers tend to lead to spam. They apparently suck up bandwidth like nobody's business, too.

i guess your right... ^^;

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 01:37:23 PM »
Yes, we'll just welcome people in whatever topic they happen to post first in.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »
Quote from: Nuntar
No offence to Ice Eagle, but his avatar really bugs me. Can you set a size limit, or at least block animated avatars?

Sorry...I'll just use my old one then.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »
If this forum is to be as great as the Lemmingswelt forums, it needs a LOT more exposure. Not just from getting people to migrate (Or, like me, post on both boards) to this board, but for attracting other Lemmings fans to this board. Not sure how to do this, just throwing it out there.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 06:12:32 PM »
First off: I should submit it to Google.

Second: I've got a button on my main site linking to here.  If anyone else wants to link to here, than use the button:

Third: .......something else?  I don't want to go about blatantly advertising...

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 06:43:08 PM »
It pays to advertise, but how to go about injecting an old fandom with new blood? That is the question.

Crossing over a little, that's how. A lot of people would give an arm, a leg and perhaps their sanity for a decent place to roleplay. If we have a place for roleplay, we can let most people in - it's preferable that said people RP as lemmings, but a few humans and maybe other species could easily be allowed.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 08:29:42 PM »
See, I think a much higher percent of the Lemmings fanbase that doesn't visit Lemmingswelt is the group of people who played Lemmings a few years ago, and when it's mentioned at some point in a forum conversation, think "hey, I remember that game. It was fun." -- and I think one good way to invoke these feeling is to maybe complete that collaborative Lemmings project? Or show these people fan-levels or the editing programs that exist? I don't know.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 08:35:47 PM »
Oh... And I think we need a slightly less corny name. We probably won't get that far on the one we have.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 09:22:46 PM »
Ahh. Dunno where to post it, but firstly, I have to say, I like the style and the activity here in the forum. For whatever reason it brings me back into a lemming-y mood.
Still, the problem of the old data still exists. I read there exist converters, but unfortunately seemingly only for older YaBB versions, not 2.0 (http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php#converters); and 'downgrading' the other forum to a convertable version is impossible I suppose. Too bad.

See, I think a much higher percent of the Lemmings fanbase that doesn't visit Lemmingswelt is the group of people who played Lemmings a few years ago, and when it's mentioned at some point in a forum conversation, think "hey, I remember that game. It was fun." -- and I think one good way to invoke these feeling is to maybe complete that collaborative Lemmings project? Or show these people fan-levels or the editing programs that exist? I don't know.
The collaborative project, or showing up the possibility of editing levels is certainly a good way to make those kind of fan play Lemmings again, the problem however is how to make them 1. remember Lemmings in any way 2. find the project/editor. I suppose not too many who remember the game will think 'Hey, why don't play it once again now' and search for it, and of those, not everyone would find the project at all; to get the best quota it should show up as first search result for the string 'Lemmings' then; Mr. Ksoft is seemingly already arranging a step towards this (and if the old forum would be taken down, then there should be a link on this site leading to here). This should be the best that can be done since problem 1. is actually unsolvable.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to have the read/unread marker for the sub-forums differ a little more; the arm seems a little too small.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 09:31:02 PM »
Quote from: geoo89
This should be the best that can be done since problem 1. is actually unsolvable.

Time to whip out those immortal words: "Who says?"

I've already done a little advertising and got a flash artist and his friends, one of which apparently made a lemmings clone for Nintendo DS. One of them just turned up on MSN as I type.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 09:33:52 PM »
I must see that DS Lemmings game.  It could do damn well out there in the DS coding community, bringing traffic around.  And it's free, so those thinking type people wouldn't have to shell out money to tax their minds.  Or something.  I'm not really sure what I'm saying....

*is currently submitting to google*

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »
I just got a little more info. To quote:

Quote from: Alex
He's designing the levels, though. It's not a perfect clone of any of the Lemmings games. It's got the same skills etc. but the levels will be different. It uses the touch screen and everything.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 09:51:25 PM »
I still want to see the thing.  Chances are he could show us how the level format works and we could edit... or something...  but first, MUST SEE!  Ask him to post about it.

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to have the read/unread marker for the sub-forums differ a little more; the arm seems a little too small.

I'll look into finding a suitable replacement.  Ideas?

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 10:47:14 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve

I have seen a bit of activity on the GameFAQs PSP Lemmings Message board (no familliar faces though). Maybe we could start there.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 11:21:45 PM »
Well, anyone with a free GFAQs account (and probably one that you don't mind getting banned) can go ahead and do that.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 02:43:54 AM »
Word of mouth is HUGE beyond belief.

A year and a half ago, my friend found out about DOSBox, and so he let me know about it, and he tested it with maybe 3 games, one of them was Lemmings. I hadn't played or thought about Lemmings in years. Right away my roommate saw me playing it and asked me to send it to him (he had played it before). I also got this girl on my hall to start playing it.

Then the next step was to google Lemmings, for what? I don't know. I was comparing some of my solutions to "official" solutions, and just in general checking out Lemming-y stuff...

Then I stumbled onto LemEdit and CustLemm! When I was younger I had always dreamed of being able to make REAL Lemmings levels. I'm really not a very excitable person, but this had me going. So I started playing everyone's levels and making my own. If my friend hadn't let me know about DOSBox, I wouldn't be here talking to you today. SPREAD THE WORD! Remind everyone how amazing this game really is (especially compared to the junk that passes as "puzzle games" today... Bejeweled anyone?)

Anyway, I really think we ought to make that collaborative project, the compilation of the best levels from our authors (I don't mean the hardest ones, but a good variety of fair levels, like the original Lemmings, but an expansion.) They don't all have to be new levels, really. But if we could have that, it would be much easier to spread the word on customized lemmings. Right now it's like, OK well you download this.. then download one of these packs (who knows what it will contain)... rename it to levelpak.dat... then load up CustLemm and check it out...

It's not that bad, but it's much easier to get someone to check something out when there's an easy-to-link, easy-to-use bundle. Plus it would be a great way of pulling the community together on something I think.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 12:39:22 PM »
Quote from: Chmera
Quote from: geoo89
This should be the best that can be done since problem 1. is actually unsolvable.

Time to whip out those immortal words: "Who says?"

I've already done a little advertising and got a flash artist and his friends, one of which apparently made a lemmings clone for Nintendo DS. One of them just turned up on MSN as I type.
Well, I'm a theoretical thinker, and in theory, we can only make a very few players (relatively seen to the absolute amount of ex-players) get think of Lemmings again. If you step onto a table, how much closer do you get to the moon? ;)
Absolutely seen, and compared to the amount of players here however, you can make quite a lot of players think of Lemmings, right. I wasn't considering it that way.
Keep your work up!

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to have the read/unread marker for the sub-forums differ a little more; the arm seems a little too small.

I'll look into finding a suitable replacement.  Ideas?[/quote]Before the upgrade, Andi had also lemmings showing whether a sub-forum is read or not IIRC, but the arms were better distinguishable.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »
It's been a long time since the newest member was geoo89. Where's everyone else?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006, 06:21:05 PM »
I've absolutely no clue.  I think the Lemmings community disentegrated ;_;

I can't get back to the Lemmingswelt forums to see; all I get is a blank page, and it's been that way for... weeks.  I know of no other forums than Mindless's, and I checked it and it is entirely empty- no posts whatsoever.  So they must have gone SOMEwhere. But where?

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 03:39:17 PM »
Maybe we could e-mail them or use AOL and tell them to return.

Also, if you can get back into Andi's forums past the lag, then my suggestion would be to make topics of your forum on "General Discussion," "Game Help," "Technical Help," and "Level Designing."

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »
But that... is senseless advertising.  Only n00bs do that.  And I for sure am not, and have never been, a n00b.

But if anyone has their contact info, send them a mail.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 06:07:21 PM »
I don't know for the reasons, but it would be nice to know the 'Last Activity' from the profile. Is it possible to add that?
That way you can find out whether the memebers have really been away or there's just nothing worth to talk about. In the former case, you'd also know whom to contact that way.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: Your ideas for the new forum.
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2006, 01:14:16 AM »
The SMF upgrade just added the Last Activity feature to the profiles.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »
Why do you have THIRTEEN stars? That's just absurd...... we need a more sensible system  8)

Also, I am now getting seriously annoyed that the "Post" button returns you to the forum instead of your post.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 11:23:21 AM »
I've got 13 stars because that is the same as the number of stars for the top posting rank (SuperLem), and it just happens to have 13 stars.

And that returning to the forum thing is the only downside of SMF, something that I am going to attempt to fix.

EDIT: Fixed it.  They hid that option pretty well in the admin panel.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2006, 08:01:44 PM »
So now the old forum died officially.
Is there any way to get to the data?
Can anyone get it?
Where is it?

Andi

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2006, 10:17:34 PM »
As already told in another thread, I'll upload the posts seperated to the userdata so someone can convert them to something easy to read.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 07:21:41 AM »
Ok that's good news (I did not read that thread)

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »
I think there should be a new board for the Off-Topic Discussion games like Random Story, 5-word story and 3-word story. Those games focus more on fun than of discussion.

The new forum should be called "Forum Games"

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »
Hex yes, Earl. I go to another forum, and over there the Forum Games board is bustling. It's the same one I got Pie Craft from.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
OK, it's a subforum of Off Topic.  I'm moving the games now.